Congrats Blizz

General Discussion
06/25/2018 09:17 PMPosted by Metrohaha
The real story unfolds on the subsequent continents and its really rich and rewarding

yeah dude I can't wait to be a walking muppet for Sylvanas' genocide of innocents

pretty neat to see Baine sit back and take it too

Come on, man.
As a hunter I will follow neither this Horde nor Alliance and only follow the Unseen Path.

We do not fight for glory, for fame, or riches.
We exist to protect those who need it most, often without reward or recognition.
We are the watchers in the wild.
We are the eagle on the wind.
We walk the lonely road.
For ours is the Unseen Path.
Yeah well Horde has this awesome Tauren who needs our help finding thier puppy. I like that quest it makes me feel good to complete it.

Plus there was enough salt we needed loves.
What's "hamfisted" about it?
People are focusing WAY too much on the events of the opening cinematic and pre-patch events, I think.

The real story unfolds on the subsequent continents and its really rich and rewarding.
Even if you hate the Horde v Alliance themes, once you play the expansion you will QUICKLY realize that that motif is a small part of the over arching plan for the expansion.

Big things are coming, and if THEY are done poorly, then I'd be concerned.
As of now, this Horde v Alliance stuff is really just a distraction, just like it was in MoP.

Hi Ion

Hows class balance going? Any prepatch release date yet?
06/25/2018 09:59 PMPosted by Guccisaurus
The real story unfolds on the subsequent continents and its really rich and rewarding

yeah dude I can't wait to be a walking muppet for Sylvanas' genocide of innocents

pretty neat to see Baine sit back and take it too

Come on, man.

Sounds like your playing the wrong game bud. Perhaps you'd find a veggie tales mmo more enjoyable?
Why bother with the pretense of "war" when its obvious ahead of time who will prevail and who will pay the price?
I love my faction. Always have.

BfA sounds very different but also a lot of fun. Obviously only time will tell.

I think it's mostly though for some players kind of a twofold thing.

1) It's different, more different in ways we are not accustomed to it being, thus a bit more of a learning curve in going toward acceptance.

2) We have been fighting/working side by side with the other faction and now suddenly (and it does feel suddenly) we are fighting them. This is one of the major issues I think. Yes some lore, stories have been created to account for this but it still feels too soon. Too quick. An expac in between I think would lessen the "shock" somewhat.

Still, lets see how it plays out. Blizz likes to throw curve balls and sliders at us. The Faction War is how it starts, doesn't mean it will remain that way, doesn't mean it will end that way.

Lots of loose ends that Legion opened but didn't close that I suspect Blizz is going to run with. We just aren't aware of it .... Yet ....
06/25/2018 10:50 PMPosted by Vynlordros
Sounds like your playing the wrong game bud. Perhaps you'd find a veggie tales mmo more enjoyable?

well, not more enjoyable, but probably more sensible
People are focusing WAY too much on the events of the opening cinematic and pre-patch events, I think.

The real story unfolds on the subsequent continents and its really rich and rewarding.
Even if you hate the Horde v Alliance themes, once you play the expansion you will QUICKLY realize that that motif is a small part of the over arching plan for the expansion.

As of now, this Horde v Alliance stuff is really just a distraction, just like it was in MoP.

So basically your saying that we have to wait until months later. To actually feel the war between both factions since your comparing it to Mop. Mop did the same thing and it was boring until the factions arrived on the shores. Same outline as mists of pandaria.... Kinda makes sense with how alot of the quests don't have anything to do with the main story and seem mostly filler quests. Kul tiras side is flawd with way more filler quests then horde side. Seems as if the devs spent more work on the Zandalar side. This game is old so this will be a true test to see how many players actually stay.

If you can't see how forced it is I don't know what to say to you.
06/25/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Neridon
This isn't like MoP. The faction war and their Battle for Azeroth is the Big Thing.

This is why I'm worried by things like Azerite and the reveal of Queen Azshara as a raid boss. It feels like they know the faction war won't last for a full expansion and are planning to pivot away from it (fairly quickly, too; if past performance holds true we can probably expect Azshara to be in an 8.0 or 8.1 raid). Now, I don't think it's worth spending an expansion on either, but I didn't decide to make it the focus of publicity.

If they pivot away from the faction war storyline, it will be absolutely the worst decision in this whole mess. None of the emotional "punches" (though honestly I feel more upset about their apparently need to rely on crass emotional appeals - instead of actually interesting story - than about any of the actual plot points) will be resolved in anything like a satisfying way because they'll go right back to where they always have, with the war being called on account of Old Gods. And then they'll have an Old God plot that the exact people they attracted to the game won't care about! It's a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately, aside from "can the expansion", I don't see any way around it now.
I feel as if theres not "actual writers" working on the lore/story. But if it does turn into something stupid involving old gods which so far it might be. With all the videos leaked of the cinematics in the beta. It's not surprising that there gonna try to divert the faction war . "Oh we must put aside our differences to defend azeroth!" I feel like its gonna be one of those types of expansions again. Selling point was Faction War but then get blind sided by an outside force like Old Gods . Were as we start off with working towards bringing both factions into our ranks . Then first patch or so involves something showing more hints towards old gods. If you watched Pyromancers videos. The chronicle book hints at a 5th old god. Think there gonna use Old gods as a filler part of the middle of Bfa.

Same outline as pandaria . Working to build with the factions -> Both factions militarize in the middle of the expansion--> Fighting starts, then Azshara makes an appearance. Some how Sylvannas and Jaina are urged to combine forces to take on the looming threat. Saying bye to the faction conflict. So seems alot like how the current starwars movies are doing . Going back to copy the same diagrams of previous content and then trying to remake it differently hoping no one will notice.

How was it a distraction in MoP? We literally sieged a Horde capitol at the end of the expansion, and every single patch involved the faction war.

06/26/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Sendrunna
Same outline as pandaria . Working to build with the factions -> Both factions militarize in the middle of the expansion--> Fighting starts, then Azshara makes an appearance. Some how Sylvannas and Jaina are urged to combine forces to take on the looming threat. Saying bye to the faction conflict.

Again, the faction battle permeated throughout MoP. Landfall was all faction battle. Thunder Isle introduced an island, dailies, and scenarios that were all faction battle. Escalation still had scenarios involving the faction war, and a battlefield where we could wpvp while fighting Garrosh related objectives. It also introduced a new BG. Yes, we teamed up...to kill a faction leader and storm a faction capitol, only because one faction leader was literally stabbed in the back by a servant of another faction leader.

Not the same outline as Pandaria you just listed at all. Your description is closer to Wotlk, which, even then, we had an airship faction battle over who was going to get to kill Arthas.

This makes me want to bookmark this thread to see how people feel about this as the expansion gets played out.

But you know necro threads are frowned on.
All I'm seeing is Alliance hate Anduin and Horde hate Sylvanas. Pretty sure that's the opposite of what is supposed to happen in a faction war.
Folks act like writing for this game was ever better than mediocre. If you want compelling literature, it's out there to be had.
Pretty sure "Battle for Azeroth" doesn't refer to who will have ultimate control of the planet but it refers to the battle to save the planet/being/entity thingy that is Azeroth from the big nasty things out there. Blizz is just presenting it as a faction thing to get people excited. Just my 2c
I feel pretty good about this expansion, I've always hated Sylvanas as a character, all the way back from Warcraft 3, she was always annoying and way too arrogant. She was arrogant all the way until Arthas ripped her soul out and turned her into a banshee, and I was like, good, you deserved that.

If we finally get to put her down through the narrative maybe you guys can get a real warchief, this whole last expansion was the alliance doing all this work actively to stop the legion and being like "where is the horde?". In tomb, no horde to be found, nor in antorus. And then with the sadness that happened in Before The Storm.

Nah, I'm good if she's gone, people can call it ham fisted or forcing the story, but she's been leading up to something like this the whole time since her becoming forsaken. She's always been questionable and the only thing that makes me sad for the horde is that Cairne was killed otherwise he'd have stood up and fought her on the issue unlike his son who seems too timid to rock the boat.

If you go back through the history of Warcraft and the world of it, you'll see that this character development of your warchief is very much in step with her. I was expecting this kind of stuff to happen in legion once she's got promoted but I guess they saved it for BFA.

If anything, her doing anything else but being totally devoted to only the forsaken and her own life would be a betrayal of the character she's always been. Giving her a Disney moment to embrace and love all of the horde equally was never really fitting for her.

Your closing point about MoP is well taken, I had not thought of it that way. BUT...no matter what promises (empty until proven otherwise (outside of spoilers)) are made, BfA comes off as flat. As will, I suspect, the relied upon upsurge in subs. I bought the expansion and yet have seriously considered walking away from the game.
LOL people really need to go outside. Its a game, its not that serious. "Emotional Backlash" and what-not.

What a hoot.

:-D)))