In-Game Advertising Policy

General Discussion
1 2 3 19 Next
As part of our ongoing efforts to crack down on in-game advertising, we’ll be implementing some policy changes with how we handle moderation for advertisements made through the in-game Group Finder, and wanted to give you a heads up before these policies are put into place.

Beginning Monday, July 2nd, we will no longer allow any advertisements in the Group Finder for in-game services such as carries or boosts, including those being offered in exchange for in-game gold. The Group Finder is intended for -- as the name suggests -- finding groups, and these advertisements make it difficult to find active groups that are currently being formed. Additionally, these are often used as a cover for real-money sales, particularly given that in-game gold cannot be transferred cross-realm.

Note that this does not change our policy on selling things such as raid carries for in-game gold. Those are still allowed, but should be advertised through realm-specific methods such as trade chat.

We’ll be adding an “advertisement” option to the Group Finder’s right-click reporting function with Patch 8.0, but in the meantime, they can be reported using the “spam” option. Thank you for your understanding, and for helping us keep the Group Finder clear of unwanted advertisements.
Thanks! Group Finder just improved greatly.
But now how will I know that someone wants to 'RUN MYTH 15+ REAL QUICK TRUST RUN MESSAG FOR MORE KNOWING' ?
The third part of this post will likely be quoted frequently in future tickets to unsilence accounts. I've had multiple people silenced for advertising in trade chat, and I kind of wish Blizz could take action against people who abuse the automatic silence after enough reports.
Bad change imo. By all means crack down on the ads with a URL that are obviously selling for real life money, but banning boost for gold groups from the group finder is a bad change. It just means either more trade spam or missing out entirely on cross realm groups which do exist. I bought a boost for gold from an advertisement in the group finder once. It was cross realm but the leader had a character on my server so it wasn't a problem to exchange gold.
It's a good change, however, will all of these be reviewed by a person? I only ask because i can already see people anger reporting due to no getting accepted into groups.
Will this include the streamers? they not charging people and just offer spots for people that cant really get in runs easily. no cash or anything.
Good riddance.
This is an amazing change. Thanks Blizzard.
07/02/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Drshockapuss
Will this include the streamers? they not charging people and just offer spots for people that cant really get in runs easily. no cash or anything.

That's not an advertisement. That's just finding a group.
07/02/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Ythisens
Additionally, these are often used as a cover for real-money sales, particularly given that in-game gold cannot be transferred cross-realm.

While I'm sure this is the case for some, it's not entirely accurate.

Many groups accept gold on other realms, and people in the group have lvl 1 alts that hold onto the gold. When they get enough gold, they buy a wowtoken or a battle pet.

Alternatively, a buyer could buy a wowtoken (or multiple, typically for more expensive raid carries) and sell it for gold legitimately on the realm of the guild that carries them.
07/02/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Exania
07/02/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Drshockapuss

That's not an advertisement. That's just finding a group.
The streamers aren't giving away free carries....they have that fine print where..."I'll carry you...if you subscribe or follow my stream" which results in something of monetary value...which is a no no...
Note that this does not change our policy on selling things such as raid carries for in-game gold. Those are still allowed, but should be advertised through realm-specific methods such as trade chat.

We’ll be adding an “advertisement” option to the Group Finder’s right-click reporting function with Patch 8.0, but in the meantime, they can be reported using the “spam” option. Thank you for your understanding, and for helping us keep the Group Finder clear of unwanted advertisements.

Feedback: IMHO instead of adding an "advertisement" option for reporting, they should add an advertisement tab on the Group Finder so players could buy and sell things for in-game gold without bothering other players and without being punished for it.

A lot of people disable Trade Chat due to toxicity.
As Kin'garoth says:

"Good, good!"
07/02/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Mortis

Feedback: IMHO instead of adding an "advertisement" option for reporting, they should add an advertisement tab on the Group Finder so players could buy and sell things for in-game gold without bothering other players and without being punished for it.

I agree with this.
Thank goodness!! I hated this. Advertise in trade that. I have it off unless I need something.
While I'm sure this change will be applauded by the majority of the playerbase who never really cared to do cross-realm m+ gold carries, you just effectively killed that as an option for those of us who did for the benefit of what might have, at worst, been a nuisance to some of those people.

I feel like Blizzard could do a better job of making both parties happy here.
Additionally, these are often used as a cover for real-money sales, particularly given that in-game gold cannot be transferred cross-realm.

Except these often aren't.

But I'm sure most runs being sold for the value of a wow token is surely just coincidental.

I approve of the move but the supporting rationale is utterly embarassing.
Good Change
07/02/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Mortis

So go make a discord outside of the game, or a community within the game that sells carries. Instead of making blizzard do extra work for a problem the community caused, maybe the community should do the extra work considering they are the people benefiting.

For the majority of people that may have adverse opinions on this subject, just remember that at 2AM there are more carry groups than actual groups, and searching just becomes a pain. I assumed spamming in these channels was already against the rules, but I guess not.

Also the number of sellers that are bots is significantly higher than you may think, I message a lot of these sellers to see if they are trying to trade for real money, then report them when they do.