In-Game Advertising Policy

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 20 Next
07/02/2018 02:06 PMPosted by Nephilite
I still never understood how people sold runs in LFG.. 99% of the time they aren't even on the same server as you - Wouldn't you normally sell runs in trade to make sure it's on the same realm anyway?

Sounds like these people were REALLY actually selling for REAL LIFE MONEY to me :D

Good change Blizz <3

No. The overwhelming majority of people advertising in LFG are legitimate sellers. They don't care what realm you have gold on because it all goes to the same place for them: WoW Tokens. It isn't difficult for a seller to make a level 1 toon on your home realm, trade the gold with you, then use it to fund their subscription. It doesn't matter where it comes from if it all goes to the same place.

Not only that, but when I was selling for gold, once in a while we had people who had legit alts on servers we sold to and they just kept the gold on those toons for later.
Group finder always felt like a very awkward way to advertise these runs, but trade chat really isn't much better.

What I'd personally like to see is a forum dedicated to trading. The forums have a couple of advantages over trade chat. The first is that you don't have to online and looking at trade chat on the right realm and the right time. The second is that it allows for feedback. Because things like WoW tokens and the Black Market AH make gold valuable even outside of your main realm, having a larger audience for some things just makes sense.

Aside from carries, there are other rare items like no longer available BoE transmog pieces and TGC mounts — things that people might be willing to jump through a couple of hoops to get from someone on a different server.
The carry groups on LFG especially the dungeon tab that are selling for gold are hurting the people advertising their websites that sell for real money. By limiting players the only their realm you not only hurt low to medium pop realms but also in turn encourage the real money websites to set-up bots on those realms to control markets.

While I agree advertising on LFG directly is too much, there should be an option to be able to post cross-realm with how wow tokens are working. I would highly encourage making a tab in the group-finder window solely for advertising sales and even making wow-tokens tradeable so the sellers don't need to make a ton of level 1 alts on random servers, which just makes the transaction more sketchy.
07/02/2018 01:51 PMPosted by Dacoolest
I still never understood how people sold runs in LFG.. 99% of the time they aren't even on the same server as you - Wouldn't you normally sell runs in trade to make sure it's on the same realm anyway?

Sounds like these people were REALLY actually selling for REAL LIFE MONEY to me :D

Good change Blizz <3
Just because you don't understand how it legally worked, doesn't mean it didn't work within Blizzards acceptable system.

If my group advertises a guild run for a Heroic raid carry with a couple of spots open, we can pull people in from any server. Same thing if my M+ team sells a +15 carry.

The players from other servers have a couple of options:
1) They can buy a wow token and sell it on my server for gold, and then transfer that gold to us.
2) They can send us gold on their realm at a higher cost than if they paid on our server, reflecting the extra work we need to do to bring the gold to our own server, and then we: a) use wow tokens to transfer the gold to our own server or b) use battle pets to buy and sell over time to transfer the gold to our server.

Either way it's all done through gold. Our preferred method was always to have the carry buy a token, sell it for gold on our server, and then pay us directly. And we would always report anyone that contacted us asking about carries for $s in the real world we wanted no part of that.

We happen to be on a small server though where our population is circling the drain and keeps getting smaller and smaller.

The only way to keep our practice going was to advertise it ensure that we had x-server customers. If this change goes through in order to make it so we don't choke on our servers lack of population, we're going to have to create either a Discord server where people can come and talk to us outside the group finder, or go through a stupid laborious process of making low level characters on different servers and popping on them to send a message to trade chat in the hopes we can still find people interested. The whole thing is going to be a nightmare and mess because Blizzard is taking away a safe, and legal in game method away from us to enter into these transactions with our broader customer base.

It's kind of ridiculous that to continue to do gold sales which are fine, we're almost certainly going to have to start directing people to an off-game Discord to communicate and set up transactions that will make us look like we're one of those nefarious groups that sell for $s, which my whole team actually despise.

You'd think people would have learned from the fiasco of RL prohibition.

Blizzard, please give us a consolidated way to communicate with other people in the game from other servers where we can keep everything above board, where you can monitor, and where we can continue to participate in trying to keep the community honest through in game gold for in game services only.

Your change is going to be a nightmare for those of us on low pop servers, in a way that will not impact those on high pop servers the same way. We'd just like an equal chance of engaging the whole community, in a way that we were able to do through the Group Finder before.
so do a channel to sell carrys, wow is a game with a lot of old players and without time to play so they buy a token and pay for a carry this is good for the game... how make harder selling runs is good for the game? and worst is not against the rules sell but you cant use the proper channel ...
Can we get a blue post confirming GIVING away +15 carries through LFG is still allowed? I have sold hundreds in the past, bought a token on that server with the gold and either added game time, or added bnet balance... But now I team up with another streamer and we GIVE AWAY free +15 carries on both streams, no payment, nothing exchanged, that's all I need is to be silenced for offering a free carry to promote our twitch streams......

Also Blizzard is just shooting themselves in their foot over this, you're going to lose a lot in your own micro transactions from people NOT buying WoW tokens with their real money to fund alt carries, raids, achievements etc etc with gold.

While I agree the LFG tool was never the proper outlet for selling carries, selling carries for gold has been around since Vanilla and has always been allowed. You are only going to encourage discord server usage and RMT without providing an outlet for in game advertisement. Far better to keep all communication about a carry in game so it can be reviewed and monitored by Blizzard if needed to protect both buyers and sellers from any accusations or wrongdoing.

Some of you may not personally agree with gold carries, which is fine that's your opinion and you should have the ability to not see them if you do not want to, but they will never stop. Just give those of us who legitimately sell carries for GOLD the proper outlet to do so.

My guild sells Mythic Antorus, Heroic, Normal, Achievements, Mounts, Keys etc and it's all to fund guild repairs/boe's/consumables/etc etc.
07/02/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Rudezilla
07/02/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Ythisens
Additionally, these are often used as a cover for real-money sales, particularly given that in-game gold cannot be transferred cross-realm.

While I'm sure this is the case for some, it's not entirely accurate.

Many groups accept gold on other realms, and people in the group have lvl 1 alts that hold onto the gold. When they get enough gold, they buy a wowtoken or a battle pet.

Alternatively, a buyer could buy a wowtoken (or multiple, typically for more expensive raid carries) and sell it for gold legitimately on the realm of the guild that carries them.

That's still costing RL money for a run...

You cannot buy WoW tokens on the AH and then sell them, they are only saleable if you buy them with RL money.
Please indeed create the Advertising tab on lfg, since you're taking the only way of actually buying or selling carries crossrealm.
[quote="207641883236"]

That's still costing RL money for a run...

You cannot buy WoW tokens on the AH and then sell them, they are only saleable if you buy them with RL money.

people sell for gold enough to buy a token, they receive gold and the blizzard receive the money
As part of our ongoing efforts to crack down on in-game advertising, we’ll be implementing some policy changes with how we handle moderation for advertisements made through the in-game Group Finder, and wanted to give you a heads up before these policies are put into place.

Beginning Monday, July 2nd, we will no longer allow any advertisements in the Group Finder for in-game services such as carries or boosts, including those being offered in exchange for in-game gold. The Group Finder is intended for -- as the name suggests -- finding groups, and these advertisements make it difficult to find active groups that are currently being formed. Additionally, these are often used as a cover for real-money sales, particularly given that in-game gold cannot be transferred cross-realm.

Note that this does not change our policy on selling things such as raid carries for in-game gold. Those are still allowed, but should be advertised through realm-specific methods such as trade chat.

We’ll be adding an “advertisement” option to the Group Finder’s right-click reporting function with Patch 8.0, but in the meantime, they can be reported using the “spam” option. Thank you for your understanding, and for helping us keep the Group Finder clear of unwanted advertisements.

Good. "H Argus get AOTC today" is the new "click for sex leg".
07/02/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Cartis
07/02/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Mortis
Feedback: IMHO instead of adding an "advertisement" option for reporting, they should add an advertisement tab on the Group Finder so players could buy and sell things for in-game gold without bothering other players and without being punished for it.

A lot of people disable Trade Chat due to toxicity.

I definitely agree with this ... Group Finder can be a lot more useful. And it would be great if you can this option ...

Please give Group Leaders the option to hide their group from anyone that doesn't meet the requirements they are setting. For example, if I set the ilevel requirement to 915 and then check the "hide group from those not meeting my requirements" checkbox, no one under 915 should be able to see my group.

You can even do this with achievements. Add a lookup to the achievements so Group leaders can set an achievement as a requirement. If the players don't have that achievement, then that group won't appear on the list.

Funny thing is over the years, people complaining about group requirements is way more prevalent the gold carries ... Why this idea wasn't first implemented is beyond me.

The whole group finding UI is pretty terrible. You can't list yourself for a variety of conditions, you can't see the leader and other group mate's information until you join, there aren't enough filters (multiple, simultaneous filters, think SQL queries here), you can't see other groups once you have joined one- just what might have applied for your specific group.

It's just not very user friendly to find exactly what you are looking for- make it a proper lobby please!

And I'd be happy to have a tab or filter for people advertising carries, otherwise there isn't a way to do x-realm if you limit it to trade chat spam (which is also annoying and many times turned off by players explicitly for that reason).

Good change Blizz <3

Nope. You make a low level toon on any realm and collect the gold. They ask for an amount of gold in which they can buy a token and then either add it to their blizz balance or their game-time. Really simply to be honest
This is a great change, but I know this creates another problem, many people who sell services for gold have, and will quickly realize that advertising in Trade chat and other services usually results in a mute fairly quickly (mostly by your competition). Which then creates a report war that ends up wasting Customer Service reps time in countless tickets trying to have false silences overturned.

This is the main reason I have abstained from doing the "Argus Carrys" which can be insanely profitable (and get me that nice big dino in bfa) but I don't want to deal with getting silenced occasionally because the other people advertising on my server don't want competition and work together to report for spamming (then get silenced for 24h and have to make a ticket to have it overturned).

For me its not a big deal, ill just not sell stuff for gold and play the game as normal, but i see a problem here that will be amplified by this change.

But overall still a good change for the majority of the playerbase, opening up the dungeon finder to get a 15 was annoying when half the groups are just sales groups.
Beginning Monday, July 2nd, we will no longer allow any advertisements in the Group Finder for in-game services such as carries or boosts, including those being offered in exchange for in-game gold.

Every Saturday I make a group in Custom Groups where I say "110 Druid helping any level for Free".

In the group description, I offer to help anyone for absolutely free with quest, dungeon queue, or LFR healer queue.

Would this be considered prohibited advertising? I ask for no gold, no payment of any type. It is completely free.
07/02/2018 02:15 PMPosted by Wraivex

Good change Blizz <3
Just because you don't understand how it legally worked, doesn't mean it didn't work within Blizzards acceptable system.

If my group advertises a guild run for a Heroic raid carry with a couple of spots open, we can pull people in from any server. Same thing if my M+ team sells a +15 carry.

The players from other servers have a couple of options:
1) They can buy a wow token and sell it on my server for gold, and then transfer that gold to us.
2) They can send us gold on their realm at a higher cost than if they paid on our server, reflecting the extra work we need to do to bring the gold to our own server, and then we: a) use wow tokens to transfer the gold to our own server or b) use battle pets to buy and sell over time to transfer the gold to our server.

Either way it's all done through gold. Our preferred method was always to have the carry buy a token, sell it for gold on our server, and then pay us directly. And we would always report anyone that contacted us asking about carries for $s in the real world we wanted no part of that.

We happen to be on a small server though where our population is circling the drain and keeps getting smaller and smaller.

The only way to keep our practice going was to advertise it ensure that we had x-server customers. If this change goes through in order to make it so we don't choke on our servers lack of population, we're going to have to create either a Discord server where people can come and talk to us outside the group finder, or go through a stupid laborious process of making low level characters on different servers and popping on them to send a message to trade chat in the hopes we can still find people interested. The whole thing is going to be a nightmare and mess because Blizzard is taking away a safe, and legal in game method away from us to enter into these transactions with our broader customer base.

It's kind of ridiculous that to continue to do gold sales which are fine, we're almost certainly going to have to start directing people to an off-game Discord to communicate and set up transactions that will make us look like we're one of those nefarious groups that sell for $s, which my whole team actually despise.

You'd think people would have learned from the fiasco of RL prohibition.

Blizzard, please give us a consolidated way to communicate with other people in the game from other servers where we can keep everything above board, where you can monitor, and where we can continue to participate in trying to keep the community honest through in game gold for in game services only.

Your change is going to be a nightmare for those of us on low pop servers, in a way that will not impact those on high pop servers the same way. We'd just like an equal chance of engaging the whole community, in a way that we were able to do through the Group Finder before.

Very well thought out, I just figured people moving gold around between servers quickly were typically scammers/Real Life Money people - Appreciate the followup
So i just got silenced for posting my gold carrys on trade chat just as blizz stated its 100% allowed.
Now i cant use premade group tool and i get silenced by using the trade chat they claim its 100% allowed ?
does that mean streamers cant offer giveaway runs anymore in the group finder? Even though its purely randomized (the giveaway) and the streamers aren’t receiving any sort of compensation for the runs? its just that i have a couple of friends that stream and they’re kind of unsure of whether or not they can promote their stream giveaways
I wish they’d also outlaw it altogether. It’s friggin annoying having trade chat littered with that spammy garbage.
Does this include guild recruitment ?