Last minute MM thoughts (non-rotational)

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
The large MM thread has rotation and numbers covered fairly well. Personally, I think MM is one of the more fun specs to play currently with some number tweaking or mechanic adjusting here and there, but I’m more concerned about utility, defense and PvP talents, which all seem to be lacking, and it seems like it’s mostly due to Lone Wolf. I love lone wolf, I think one spec that can function without a pet is a great design. However, it seems like because there is no pet, we lose out on intimidate, we lose on pet utility, and we also lack defensive measures to make up for that lack of pet.

I had a few main ideas that I don’t feel would be hard to implement and a few other points to bring up, in general:

1. Aimed shot should have the healing debuff added back to it. It was an original effect long ago, and it is strange to have the spec that originally had the debuff, now be without it unless you play it with a pet. (Perhaps add this functionality to Lone wolf to avoid doubling on utility with a pet).

2. Add “Heavy Ammunition” to replace intimidate, 1m CD having the next shot also stun the target. We lack the set-up stun the other two specs have. This would mimick Intimmidate and remain an option to pre-cast while in camo.

3. Hunter’s mark needs to be usable in stealth. Losing camo for marking your target feels awful and makes the two skills work poorly together. Also, in PvP, Mark needs to be undispellable and with a 2-5 minute duration, or it loses all value.

4. Some form of healing needs to be worked into the spec, as it goes without Spirit Mend and Spirit Bond, as well as PvP talents that bolster defense such as Wild protector and Mending Bandage.

5. PvP talents in general need a major pass. Many are next to useless, others are highly situational. MM is in one of the worst spots for PvP talents.
- Specifically, please reduce the cost and fast time of Snipe Shot to increase viability.
- Others need more work.

These are the big things, the spec plays in a fun way as far as I am concerned, but it feels a bit lacking in utility and personal survival.
06/22/2018 09:43 AMPosted by Shyja

1. Aimed shot should have the healing debuff added back to it. It was an original effect long ago, and it is strange to have the spec that originally had the debuff, now be without it unless you play it with a pet. (Perhaps add this functionality to Lone wolf to avoid doubling on utility with a pet).

I think your solution is a good one. I do not think it is sufficient to make up for the lack of pet utility, but it is a good start.

2. Add “Heavy Ammunition” to replace intimidate, 1m CD having the next shot also stun the target. We lack the set-up stun the other two specs have. This would mimick Intimmidate and remain an option to pre-cast while in camo.

I'm not sure which "shot" you mean to add the stun to, but if it's Aimed Shot that would be terrible, and in general I disagree. I don't really want to have a ranged stun, unless its something interesting (not targetted) like Binding Shot was. I would prefer a baseline Scatter Shot, IN ADDITION TO a functional Bursting Shot (a little bigger AoE and a knockback that creates actual distance).

3. Hunter’s mark needs to be usable in stealth. Losing camo for marking your target feels awful and makes the two skills work poorly together. Also, in PvP, Mark needs to be undispellable and with a 2-5 minute duration, or it loses all value.

100% agree. It should also be baseline, like it was for years and years, and it should not have all the bonuses attached to it; retaining only a minimal DPS increase and no hokey focus mechanic. It's incredible usefulness (and fun) was in actually "marking" the target and it's minor DPS increase, not all the other crap.

4. Some form of healing needs to be worked into the spec, as it goes without Spirit Mend and Spirit Bond, as well as PvP talents that bolster defense such as Wild protector and Mending Bandage.

Personally, I prefer a baseline Camo, with a shorter cooldown that starts as soon as you press it, rather than after it is gone. Adding to that it's moderate healing per second (which could be reduced to 1%/s), only gained when OOC is great. I'm OK with having a spec that needs to kill without constant in combat self healing. It just needs to have all the tools to do so (like mage).

5. PvP talents in general need a major pass. Many are next to useless, others are highly situational. MM is in one of the worst spots for PvP talents.
- Specifically, please reduce the cost and fast time of Snipe Shot to increase viability.
- Others need more work.

The problem with Sniper Shot is that it destroys our Aimed Shot opener. Our spec is currently tuned (in PvP) to do tremendous opening damage, with its built in 50% for not having done damage before, and 100% from Careful Aim. I think Careful Aim is pretty much the most terrible talent ever, but more importantly in this context, it destroys Sniper Shot, no matter how it is tuned (unless it did similar damage to all the above plus the subsequent Precise Shots).
MM has a great toolkit for creating space, burst damage, and good mobile damage. And now they need a stun added to their ranged nuke?

Only hunters man. Good grief.
Stun unneccesary. Put scatter on disorient DR and the spec is gtg for pvp.
06/22/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Bertimus
Stun unneccesary. Put scatter on disorient DR and the spec is gtg for pvp.

this and a tuning pass on our god awful honor talents, in addition to pruning careful aim before launch, otherwise aimed shot is gonna be hit with a nerf bat harder than roadkill in traffic
06/22/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Zígzag
MM has a great toolkit for creating space, burst damage, and good mobile damage. And now they need a stun added to their ranged nuke?

Only hunters man. Good grief.

A rogue. That’s cute.

Anyways. Beast Master has all of these things and more. Beast master has no casted abilities, nor do they ever need to remain still. Many will also have Master’s call, which a Lone Wolf would not have access to.

The part I do agree with, though, is that it doesn’t HAVE to be a stun. I’ll admit Sha Lin’s attack on Paladins was part of the inspiration for this idea, but it’s not as glorious as it seems, in fact a direct stun would be “stronger” IE more practical than needing to land a 2.5 second cast in order to make use of the stun.

I agree that instead of a Stun, Scatter Shot going back to base as a Disorient would actually be the best option, with it being split from Bursting Shot, and bursting Shot being made to either push back further or root (either way to make the distance factor a bit more useful.)