Field Medic Title

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
06/29/2018 12:36 PMPosted by Ythisens
That doesn't even make sense as a complaint about it. Yes there's an RNG element to the drop but you could hypothetically finish the Achievement in an hour if you're the luckiest person to ever touch the game. Grinding out Field Medic or other things added into the game like this can take some time. That's kind of the point.

I just went and finished Field Medic a couple days ago, I needed 6 cause I just kinda stopped after I got the achievement for 10. I needed 1 in Val'sharah, all 4 in Suramar, and 1 in Stormheim. I spent 2 hours in Val'sharah to get my last one and I got the same one 9 times before I got the one I needed(this is my only complaint about this, if you have one it shouldn't drop anymore, or should have a much lower rate of dropping similar to the legendary belt situation on brewmasters), but when I went to Suramar and Stormheim I got all 5 of those in about 40 minutes, it was pretty nuts.
06/29/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Yonbi
It's a little sad that you feel this is good game design.

I think grinding can be good game design when done correctly and MMOs will always have that element because its a very core fundamental of character progression that represents time and effort with your character. When you see someone walking around with the Insane title you know that person is Insane for doing that grind and it invokes that reaction. To me it's fun content but I recognize it's not for everyone. I think keeping it to cosmetic rewards like titles, achievements, etc. is fine.

06/28/2018 09:40 PMPosted by Vinex
why is it developed this way if it isn't a daily for first aid but a quest with a yellow marker

flawed or intentional timegating

team knew what they were doing or theyd hotfix it

That doesn't even make sense as a complaint about it. Yes there's an RNG element to the drop but you could hypothetically finish the Achievement in an hour if you're the luckiest person to ever touch the game. Grinding out Field Medic or other things added into the game like this can take some time. That's kind of the point.

When done correctly being the operative key term. Why time-box the grind then? If memory serves can't you still get insane title today?

We can agree to disagree.

I still think grindy mechanics like this are a hail-mary attempt to keep players subbed by dangling some form of carrot in front of them.

To be frank, these kinds of systems are not what made WoW popular in the first place.

To your point though, thankfully its been cordoned off to some title or Feat of Strength that I do not consider valuable enough to waste my time for.

I still think the game would be better to just steer clear from these in general.
I was fortunate in that, on my original main, I ended up getting 12/16 of the quests done without even trying. I just did the quests whenever they dropped while I was doing WQs and whatnot. I had First Aid ready for Legion, and I started the expansion by doing every single WQ on the map for the initial rep grinds. That left me with 2 in Suramar and 2 in Stormheim.
06/28/2018 09:40 PMPosted by Vinex
why is it developed this way if it isn't a daily for first aid but a quest with a yellow marker

flawed or intentional timegating

team knew what they were doing or theyd hotfix it
That doesn't even make sense as a complaint about it. Yes there's an RNG element to the drop but you could hypothetically finish the Achievement in an hour if you're the luckiest person to ever touch the game. Grinding out Field Medic or other things added into the game like this can take some time. That's kind of the point.[/quote]

Are you aware that the achievement drops duplicates of the quest items? Did you know that the achievement was bugged for a year? People have done plenty of content in Legion in world zones that they should have this organically. Why would someone have to go out and specifically target mobs? I'd have to say between invasions, emissaries, just in general questing, among other things should have at least netted me 3-4 without trying but i have two and i've done a lot of these things. I think players have done enough in world zones without having to do a grind that doesn't make sense for the end of legion, especially when those quests grant you first aid level and should of been organically integrated into Legion without the need for something like a 10 hour rep grind 2 years later

1. I suspect that these drops are gated behind the same type of timing mechanism used for Sprocket Containers and Found Sack of Gems. So even if you were insanely lucky, there is still a minimum time required.

2. This is no longer old school grinding or RNG. For many years in this game, I pretty much knew exactly what I had to do to achieve a goal. Kill 10,000 pirates at 20 rep each, no problem. Fish up 25,000 fish, no problem. Wait for Thassarian to rare spawn again in Burning Steppes with a guaranteed drop, no problem. Farm specific mobs for 2 hours with no drop, wondering if you screwed something up, checking your quest log to make triple sure you don't have one lurking, to finally get a duplicate that I don't need? That's a problem.
I feel like this is something that could have easily been left in by making it just require the quest without the skill. I just wish I remembered it was going away so I could have a hope of getting the rest I need.

But at 50% left I doubt it lol.
Been grinding for this achievement on and off, but I have had pretty decent luck (only 5 or 6 dupes for the entirety of the farming over the course of the time I've invested). I'm down to 3 now, with 2 being from Suramar and 1 from Azsuna. My friend thinks I'm absolutely bonkers chasing after the title, but now I think he's secretly wishing he would have been working on it too.

Anyway, I'm going to switch it up and farm a bit in some of these suggested spots in this thread... *fingers crossed*
06/29/2018 02:05 PMPosted by Milksy
Been grinding for this achievement on and off, but I have had pretty decent luck (only 5 or 6 dupes for the entirety of the farming over the course of the time I've invested). I'm down to 3 now, with 2 being from Suramar and 1 from Azsuna. My friend thinks I'm absolutely bonkers chasing after the title, but now I think he's secretly wishing he would have been working on it too.

Anyway, I'm going to switch it up and farm a bit in some of these suggested spots in this thread... *fingers crossed*

Good luck. That's pretty much my plan for the day too :)
Since this topic is on grinding;
I don't like to grind or farm or camp but...

• I have completed Field Medic. It was boring but I liked it existing as something to do.
  • I completed Fisherfriends over this past week. It was boring but I liked it existing as something to do.
  • Over this past week, in between Fisherfriends, I completed I Came, I Clawed, I Conquered. It was just something to do.
  • I have completed Underbelly Tycoon. I wanted that mount.
  • I have completed You Are Not The Contents Of Your Wallet. It was just something to do.
  • I have completed The Coin Master. It was just something to do.
  • I have completed the Shaohao rep farm. I wanted that mount.
  • I've leveled 293 pets to level 25. I don't pet battle. It was just something to do.
  • ect.

I don't like to grind or farm or camp ... but I like that the game always has things laying about the place for me to pursue. Creating things that players can set as long term goals was something Legion delivered with in a big way. I liked it a lot. Having things to work toward. Always having something yet unobtained or unfulfilled left to work on.

I am still very excited to complete Achievements like Going To Need A Bigger Bag, The Wish Remover & I've Got 9999 Problems but a Bone-White Primal Raptor Ain't OneThere are still plenty of other activities like collecting Pristine versions of all the Archaeology stuff from the past 3 expansions, Argus Demon Eye farm, or the Insane in the Membrane rep grind. I like having these things I can set as long term goal even if I don't like to grind or farm or camp. It isn't like these activities don't have an audience that they serve. I am happy these things exist and that similar things continue to be added to the game.
    06/29/2018 03:13 PMPosted by Whitecrow
    I like having these things I can set as long term goal even if I don't like to grind or farm or camp.

Except field medic is going away so....not sure where you are going with your "i like having extra things to do" argument.
    Yeah it's not like the achievement was in since day 1 of Legion or anything.

Seriously the whining about this is as bad as people still whining about the Mage Tower.

You had 2 years to do this achievement.
    06/29/2018 03:36 PMPosted by Hypersmeg
    Yeah it's not like the achievement was in since day 1 of Legion or anything.

Seriously the whining about this is as bad as people still whining about the Mage Tower.

You had 2 years to do this achievement.

Quite possible that some of them unsubbed for part of the expansion. I did for several months, but I am also just a bit lazy sometimes.
    You had 2 years to do this achievement

Have we known for 2 years that First Aid was going away? Pretty sure Legion hasn't actually turned 2 yet.

Also, the terrible decision wasn't announced until comparatively recently.....certainly not at the launch of Legion, since BFA wasn't announced at the launch of Legion.
    06/29/2018 04:32 PMPosted by Yonbi
    You had 2 years to do this achievement

Have we known for 2 years that First Aid was going away? Pretty sure Legion hasn't actually turned 2 yet.

Also, the terrible decision wasn't announced until comparatively recently.....certainly not at the launch of Legion, since BFA wasn't announced at the launch of Legion.

Plus as several people have said it was bugged for awhile and not counting quest completions.

I'm down to 5 but these mobs just don't like me lol I've gone to all the hot spots, looked up each item left to see what else drops them and tried some of those too. Some mobs say they drop the items on mouse over (may be an addon) but many do not. Taking a break after looking for 3 hours with no drops today. I've only gotten a few duplicates - not sure if I'd rather see something drop even if it's a duplicate or not. I'm determined to get this one tho so I'll be back at it soon :)
    I have to say though, I've met a lot of nice peeps while farming, all of us bonding over the pain of grinding haha
    I gave up because farming mobs with rng attached is soul destroying. There is no other way to describe it.
    All i need are 2 more from Val'sharah, and all i keep getting is the bloody request.