Mage Tower Complete! ilvl 896, no legendaries

General Discussion
06/26/2018 08:53 PMPosted by Valyra
06/26/2018 05:04 PMPosted by Hamstar
Lol I can't do the ret one even at 941. I'm bad and I feel bad.

The Valkyr one and the Healing one are the only two that are difficult imo.

The other three are cakewalks.

I didn't read that correctly, hahaha. I'm such a moron.

Kruul is a bit hard on a warrior and DK.

Prot paladin challenge is that the mobs have more health.

On a Druid the Aura is bigger than the other tanks.

Demon Hunter is a joke with all the self healing and magic mitigation.
Sigryn and agatha are the 2 easiest ones out
06/26/2018 07:10 PMPosted by Haavi
https://imgur.com/cd5CzQG
Link for you :D

06/26/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Momimfotm
Fake news.

Congrats to you. I actually just completed it myself on my third attempt with this character. I found it surprisingly easy(at ilvl928) but I was dreading it because I had heard how difficult it was for some. If you want proof I have it set as my appearance and it should show soon.
06/26/2018 09:23 PMPosted by Momimfotm
06/26/2018 07:10 PMPosted by Haavi
https://imgur.com/cd5CzQG
Link for you :D

Congrats to you. I actually just completed it myself on my third attempt with this character. I found it surprisingly easy(at ilvl928) but I was dreading it because I had heard how difficult it was for some. If you want proof I have it set as my appearance and it should show soon.

Congrats! Shatter buddies forever :D I don't need proof, I trust :)

Yep, it's all about prioritising the mechanics and putting them in front of damage. Once you actually focus on what you are meant to be doing it isn't that challenging, gear just gives you more flexibility in taking down the runeseer's shield.
06/26/2018 05:06 PMPosted by Momimfotm
Fake news.

Looked it up. He does indeed have the challenge completed, and his ilevel is indeed what he said it was. Can't deny the guy's a beast!
Cool. Your a better player then I am.

ret is the easiest in all 3 specs. it didnt require any big damage as loog as you know how to do the fights you can still win it slowly. not like other dps challenge like Mother and Xylem instance. they require certain damge. with crap gear its for sure difficult. just try hard and best wishes to you.
06/26/2018 05:01 PMPosted by Haavi
Ret Paladin has one of the easier challenge encounters

It's probably the easiest one out of the 36 honestly. Most people did it at 890 when it first came out. It was never the hard one.

News Flash; Sigryn's fight stops doing half the mechanics 5 minutes in. You practically win before they even die.
Need to wait until at least tomorrow to give a proper attempt on Holy and Prot, managed to get on for 30 minutes this afternoon but realised I have only DPS trinkets as well as not having relics for my Prot and Holy weapon. Will need to at least fill the other two slots of my Prot or get another Int trinket (I got an 870 stat stick from a WQ in the 30 min) and upgrade my 825 holy relic for Holy (current ilvl drops to about 885 with DPS trinkets, after equipping the 930 belt I got from weekly chest)

It's either fill those requirements or cheat and use the magni boost which I am loathe to do at the moment. :(
You are not alone, though I'm doing feral and resto druid. Can't even beat phase 1 of them.
06/27/2018 12:36 AMPosted by Dawnsky
06/26/2018 05:01 PMPosted by Haavi
Ret Paladin has one of the easier challenge encounters

It's probably the easiest one out of the 36 honestly. Most people did it at 890 when it first came out. It was never the hard one.

News Flash; Sigryn's fight stops doing half the mechanics 5 minutes in. You practically win before they even die.

Unholy is 10 times easier.

I found Sigryn hard because I'm not good at keeping track of a lot of visual things at once.
Congrats! I finished the mm hunter one last night.. it took me about 12 attempts (maybe more). I was struggling so hard on it lol because I just couldn’t see the rune on time so I’d keep dying. Everyone told me it was sooo easy so every time I failed I just felt bad lol. I was like I have to be the worst hunter in existence. I was very happy when I beat it though.

I’m gonna work on the other specs today. The only other mage towers I’ve beaten is the one for Resto Shaman and holy priest. Which were very frustrating as well lol.
06/26/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Haavi
#showtooltip Repentance
/tar Sig
/cast Repentance
/targetlasttarget

alternatively set Sigryn as your focus and use

#showtooltip Repentance/cast [@focus] Repentance

I like to spread this around, but you can also do:
#showtooltip
/cast [@boss1][] Repentance

Which will cast the spell at Sigryn, or the first boss in any encounter, without target changing. And the extra brackets make the spell work 100% normally when you're not in a boss encounter. You can also do @boss2 or @boss3 for the other peole in the encounter.

edit to add: Targetlasttarget can do some weird things at times, like if you press the button when you haven't targeted anything yet, you'll end up with no target. The @boss macros don't involve any target swapping at all.

Repent sig and keep her that way then burn the caster GG.
I couldn't do MoP Proving Grounds on a Holy Priest. Wiped to 29/30 multiple times and cried myself to sleep.

It's been years and I still am ashamed. You're not alone.
Yeah ret challenge is insanely easy, I 1 shot it earlier on an alt. You can botch so many mechanics and still win because of the toolkit.
06/27/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Sunbelle

I like to spread this around, but you can also do:
#showtooltip
/cast [@boss1][] Repentance

Which will cast the spell at Sigryn, or the first boss in any encounter, without target changing. And the extra brackets make the spell work 100% normally when you're not in a boss encounter. You can also do @boss2 or @boss3 for the other peole in the encounter.

edit to add: Targetlasttarget can do some weird things at times, like if you press the button when you haven't targeted anything yet, you'll end up with no target. The @boss macros don't involve any target swapping at all.

Very helpful to know! Definitely would be a plus, especially since it can be carried over to other encounters.

Personally I think targetlasttarget is predictable enough used in this sense. If you don't have anyone targeted then the last target will be noone, if you have someone targeted it will keep them targeted after using the ability on the other person.
The weirdest interaction is probably when you have the target your macro is used for targeted and then use it, usually this seems to clear your target as if you didn't have one.

Yeah, @boss or @focus macros definitely remove the need for any target swapping which is cleaner.
06/27/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Fendfx
Yeah ret challenge is insanely easy, I 1 shot it earlier on an alt. You can botch so many mechanics and still win because of the toolkit.

I'm not going to discount that the Ret challenge is easy, especially if you know the encounter from other classes. I think your statement is greatly exaggerated however, you certainly can't botch many mechanics at all, perhaps with better gear and health the mechanics leave you a bit of leeway, but in my experience the Valkyrs were a one shot, Blood of the Fathers is mechanically a one shot (if you somehow allow it to go off), Ancestral Knowledge if it goes off is a one shot, Bladestorm allows 2-3 hits, Dark Runes are a one shot (or 90% health), and Berserk allows maybe 2 hits.

The toolkit allows for one real save with the use of Divine Shield, maybe two with Lay on Hands if you need it in a pinch from taking damage from other sources.

Try not to spread misinformation for people who may be struggling with the encounter. If they are your opinions then elaborate and explain why the toolkit makes the encounter trivial, at least then it might benefit someone.
So I overpowered my artifacts after feeling bad that I was hindering my Mythic + groups by "selfishly" not taking the buff so that I could try the challenges without over gearing.
I will have to do with completing them without legendaries (did another 5 Mythic + last night and still nothing :( ), full relics, and without appropriate trinkets. :(