Flashing effects on empowered artifacts

General Discussion
06/29/2018 05:30 PMPosted by Ech
Give Magni an option to turn it off.

ESC->Interface->Accessibility.

There should have been a "Disable harmful graphics" option in there a long time ago that can be used as a FLAG for any graphic animation like this in any future client patch when the devs put in these things.

That way people with the issue have the check box permenantly checked off and never see the effects, and the rest of the population can enjoy them, and no one needs to ship a client patch for this stuff.
06/29/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Beraht
06/29/2018 05:30 PMPosted by Ech
Give Magni an option to turn it off.

ESC->Interface->Accessibility.

There should have been a "Disable harmful graphics" option in there a long time ago that can be used as a FLAG for any graphic animation like this in any future client patch when the devs put in these things.

That way people with the issue have the check box permenantly checked off and never see the effects, and the rest of the population can enjoy them, and no one needs to ship a client patch for this stuff.

I was thinking more as a temporary measure until they had an infrastructure set up for a legit option. As they'd likely need to do testing with the various conditions and begin tagging various effects all throughout the game (Things like the infamous Malygos skybox as well)
06/29/2018 05:45 PMPosted by Ech
I was thinking more as a temporary measure until they had an infrastructure set up for a legit option. As they'd likely need to do testing with the various conditions and begin tagging various effects all throughout the game (Things like the infamous Malygos skybox as well)

Well even just disabling it like they did required a client patch. Looking at the logging screen you can see we're using a June 28th build, meaning they built this yesterday and shipped it out today.
06/29/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Aurealis
That said, I doubt the OP of the seizure post wanted it removed entirely, just simply an option to turn it off. So idk if Blizz was unable to procure that option in such short time, and thought turning it off entirely was the only solution. Who knows?

That poster asked to have it removed.

The constant flickering and screen shaking gave me a seizure almost immediately. Please disable this graphic.
Didn't seem nearly flashy enough for the seizure complaints. You didn't even have to use the interface, no points to spend so why open it? Blizzard has weird priorities.
\

Mate I have seen a person with temporal lobe epilepsy have a seizure after a flash was used to take a photo. The disorder can be triggered by almost anything in some cases.

It wasnt petit mal either, it was a GRAND MAL seizure and I wound up calling an ambulance for her. Scared the hell out of me , it was all I could do to stop her from choking, even after all these years, Id never seen one hit that fast before.

Believe me you have no idea how bad it can get, and how easily a seizure can be caused. Blizzard moved fast to fix an issue that could have caused PHYSICAL HARM to someone.

BTW think thats bad?

We found out a friend had an allergy to peanuts (she didnt even know)..after she ate ONE by accident and the anaphylactic reaction was....severe. Thank God one of the people had an epipen with them.

Five seconds from fine and healthy to cyanotic.

FIVE SECONDS.

After we got her stabilised, my hands wouldnt stop shaking. Epilepsy is the same..you dont KNOW what can cause a seizure so you take all necessary steps to minimise the risk.

She made it okay...but God that was close. Trust me when i say I cannot thank my tutors enough for hammering the drills into my head so i knew what to do and how.

Blizzard's priorities are exactly where they need to be.
06/29/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Beraht
"Disable harmful graphics"

While something like that WOULD be a good thing overall, they'd need to find ways to make the effects (like if a boss has a ground effect that you want to be out of) still visible even for folks who have an issue with such problems.

So, as an option for them to consider to add in the future, yes, its a good thing overall. But such changes aren't fast and easy. Necessary, yes. But certainly not fast and easy. As they'd have to put a flag on each and every such "effect".
Why bother making a toggle for a temporary effect when it was causing issues that can lead to injury for others, they did the right thing pulling it out now instead of later.
06/29/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Fallynn
Wish there was an option to turn it back on, for the 99% of us without the issues or that enjoyed it...

this

so

much this.
Like I said before, I think Blizz would much rather deal with angry forum posts about people being annoyed it's gone, than someone have a seizure and potentially have their game cause some serious harm to a player.

The only thing I can suggest is if you're that disgruntled about it, open a ticket and discuss it with a GM. Maybe they will explain their decision better, or who knows maybe another fix is on the way with a toggle.

I'm also fairly certain this is a liability issue and they are covering their own butt by removing this. Not that companies are incapable of empathy, far from it, but it's kinda the same thing with coffee cups having CAUTION: HOT on it.

Either way I really don't think it's enough of a big deal to get so bent out of shape over. It was a cool effect but after a while you just gotta move on with your life and worry about something else more important.
06/29/2018 05:54 PMPosted by Verdre
While something like that WOULD be a good thing overall, they'd need to find ways to make the effects (like if a boss has a ground effect that you want to be out of) still visible even for folks who have an issue with such problems.

An option like this would of course be for cosmetics and UI visuals like the present.

Disabling boss effects would be a competitive nightmare, as people would figure out how to make some fights easier with accessibility options (not like no one ever did this in gaming).

06/29/2018 05:54 PMPosted by Verdre
So, as an option for them to consider to add in the future, yes, its a good thing overall. But such changes aren't fast and easy. Necessary, yes.

In this case, since they were shipping a client build anyway, they could have added the box and used it only for the Artifact window.

Future later use could have been considered... well later. It's just adding a flag in the UI that's usable at anytime. You don't have to suddenly change everything in a single build to introduce a UI togglable flag.
06/29/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Aurealis
That said, I doubt the OP of the seizure post wanted it removed entirely, just simply an option to turn it off. So idk if Blizz was unable to procure that option in such short time, and thought turning it off entirely was the only solution. Who knows?

That poster asked to have it removed.

[quote]The constant flickering and screen shaking gave me a seizure almost immediately. Please disable this graphic.

My mistake, I may have read down a few posts that they would have been fine with a toggle option. No biggie.
I knew it was going to go byebye the second I saw the seizure threads pop up so I rushed to get it and enjoyed it while it lasted.

Maybe they could at least keep the shaking if not the flashy lights?
06/29/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Frenda
It looks like the flashing graphic effect on empowered artifact weapons has gone away. Looks like it was hotfixed in. I know there was a topic yesterday with regards to the flashing, and I appreciate it being removed. It was annoying.
Damn, that's too bad.

I liked the effect.

I can see why they did it though, not going to want to cause people seizures, and it's going to be easier to turn it off in full than to grant an option to turn it off in an accessibility mode.
06/29/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Froufroukin
Didn't seem nearly flashy enough for the seizure complaints. You didn't even have to use the interface, no points to spend so why open it? Blizzard has weird priorities.

Relics are still a thing and the artifact fishing pole still uses AP.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765466823?page=10#post-183

Please bear this in mind when you post.

Thanks for the feedback on this! I've passed this along to the developers but I just wanted to drop a note that I was in the process of cleaning up this thread.

No two people who suffer from epileptic seizures due to photo sensitivity are triggered by the same things. It could be a "tame" animation to you but causes a nightmare for someone else. Please be aware of that before you make an insensitive comment that causes me to have to delete it and/or suspend you. It's annoying.

I'll add this..there are many who dont KNOW they have epilepsy..until the fit happens. It can lie dormant, silent ..until it is triggered by a light effect.

Thanks.

- Aehl
06/29/2018 06:02 PMPosted by Rankin
Relics are still a thing

Relics can be put in at the Netherlight Crucible without ever opening the artifact window, no matter how much you want to ignore that solution.
06/29/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Fallynn
Wish there was an option to turn it back on, for the 99% of us without the issues or that enjoyed it...

They rather cater to that 1% instead.
Relics can be put in at the Netherlight Crucible without ever opening the artifact window, no matter how much you want to ignore that solution.

Beraht

Its done and it stays. Reread my posts and think. You may not like it but the reasons are sound and NECESSARY.

They rather cater to that 1% instead.

Theyd rather not see their game be listed as the cause of an injury. Think of others.
06/29/2018 06:03 PMPosted by Aehl

already did and I still stand on my position.

while I can understand why it still is bad for those that enjoyed it.
06/29/2018 06:03 PMPosted by Aehl
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765466823?page=10#post-183

Thanks for the feedback on this! I've passed this along to the developers but I just wanted to drop a note that I was in the process of cleaning up this thread.

No two people who suffer from epileptic seizures due to photo sensitivity are triggered by the same things. It could be a "tame" animation to you but causes a nightmare for someone else. Please be aware of that before you make an insensitive comment that causes me to have to delete it and/or suspend you. It's annoying.

I'll add this..there are many who dont KNOW they have epilepsy..until the fit happens. It can lie dormant, silent ..until it is triggered by a light effect.

Thanks.

- Aehl

I think most of us in this forum are okay with the change, as far as I know it was maybe 1-2 people who were against it entirely. I really don't think policing the forum is necessary. You have had personal experience with this situation so I understand your stance completely, but please don't lump together a few dissenters with the rest of us.