Flashing effects on empowered artifacts

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
06/29/2018 05:30 PMPosted by Beraht
06/29/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Kozzae
and the fact a toggle would likely take testing and a client patch

They shipped a new build, since disabling it requires a client patch.

Look at the build number on the logging screen and the date.

Irrelevant. They hadn't built a toggle into the graphic, and the time it would have taken would have made the effort pointless. It was simple to remove the graphic.
I think most of us in this forum are okay with the change, as far as I know it was maybe 1-2 people who were against it entirely. I really don't think policing the forum is necessary. You have had personal experience with this situation so I understand your stance completely, but please don't lump together a few dissenters with the rest of us.

I wasnt and it was more a general comment...my apologies if it didnt come across correctly.:)
Sad to see how insensitive so many of players are nowadays just because one maybe two have these seizures and Blizzard does the right thing and removing the cause of them you are whining "my flashy screen".

Get over it and have some concern for your fellow human beings even though I don't suffer from them there are a lot who play and do suffer so Blizzard did the right thing.
06/29/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Aehl
Blizzard's priorities are exactly where they need to be.

A disability that can be triggered by nearly anything, including something as small as a camera flash, is impossible to design around.
06/29/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Orsobovus
Irrelevant. They hadn't built a toggle into the graphic, and the time it would have taken would have made the effort pointless. It was simple to remove the graphic.

It's best to just ignore Beraht. They're the sort of person who would drag themselves over a mile of broken glass just to defend Blizzard once more.
I'm not trying to be insensitive I just know how things are these days... most likely they got a little bit of a headache and just jumped straight to epilepsy, just like when people dislike something they jump to "trigger" like they have PTSD.
A disability that can be triggered by nearly anything, including something as small as a camera flash, is impossible to design around.

You can however, take steps to minimise that risk.

Reading this brings home to me yet again why we train and train and train..you dont think, you just DO. Your training kicks in.

I still remember my first solo CPR. He made it, and I felt ten feet tall.
06/29/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Vaenaru
06/29/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Aehl
Blizzard's priorities are exactly where they need to be.

Well when your options are one camera flash or a thousand and a thousand have a much higher chance of triggering a seizure attack than one its in the best interest of a company to reduce all the camera flashes to one.

I don't think Blizz wants to be in the news for "person has seizure from playing WoW and dies after bashing head on desk". It would be a PR nightmare even if it was just one out of several million.
06/29/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Legionkiller
Sad to see how insensitive so many of players are nowadays just because one maybe two have these seizures and Blizzard does the right thing and removing the cause of them you are whining "my flashy screen".

Get over it and have some concern for your fellow human beings even though I don't suffer from them there are a lot who play and do suffer so Blizzard did the right thing.

how something like having a different opinion than yours can make you sad?

remember when you also have an opinion and people tell you get over it as well not only on this important matter but all matters.
. most likely they got a little bit of a headache and just jumped straight to epilepsy

The constant flickering and screen shaking gave me a seizure almost immediately. Please disable this graphic.
06/29/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Aehl
. most likely they got a little bit of a headache and just jumped straight to epilepsy

The constant flickering and screen shaking gave me a seizure almost immediately. Please disable this graphic.

Good to know you take everything writen online at face value~
Good to know you take everything writen online at face value~

..and you think that was the only report?
I think the message here is that this option had to be pushed out quickly so likely they did not have the time to develop a toggle.

Therefore, their response should be seen as understandable, admirable, and commendable.

However, in the future, I think we can be fair in asking for blizzard to make a toggle that would allow afflicted individuals to have their experience while not detracting from others.

Is this not the best solution? To move forward and change?

But, I do think it is fair that Blizzard should, when having an advanced noticed on the matter, take into account such situations as to accomodate both individuals. Not one over the other.
06/29/2018 06:29 PMPosted by Aehl
..and you think that was the only report?

Given how they responded to the whole Tracer's Butt thing in Overwatch, actually wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that was the only actual report given.
06/29/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Welshcorgi
06/29/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Fallynn
Wish there was an option to turn it back on, for the 99% of us without the issues or that enjoyed it...

They rather cater to that 1% instead.

Yes, how dare Blizzard alter its game to not kill people.
06/29/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Legionkiller

People aren't being insensitive. I know I can't watch 60fps video on YouTube without feeling nauseas, so I get the argument wholly.

If I haven't played a game for a while, the movements on the screen can also make me feel ill, and it's one of the reasons I don't game on a console - games on a big screen aren't fun. That's why I avoid it - it doesn't make me reach the point of seizure, no, but I get the argument.

I just don't like how someone can make a perfectly logical juxtaposing observation - that games, especially WoW, have copious amounts of flashing spell effects - and so perhaps question how one effect can trigger a seizure, perhaps even purely out of interest.

I don't care about the effect being removed, that's the least of this game's worries.

There's plenty of other games to play that don't require a sub fee, charge exorbitant amounts of money for expansions, prune game mechanics down to a couple of buttons, or have overzealous virtue-signalling moderators keen on avoiding a PR problem akin to Pokemon in Japan in 1997.

I'd hate to have epilepsy, anyone would.

It's Blizzard's game, they can do as they please. I'm sure the game has seizure warnings on the box no doubt - if anyone still buys boxed editions. But you can appreciate the irony of a complaint about one effect, in a game that is jam packed with flashing spell effects and the like.

Maybe those warnings need to more pronounced - but perhaps fewer people would buy it?

Who knows.
06/29/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Rankin
They're the sort of person who would drag themselves over a mile of broken glass just to defend Blizzard once more.

How do you reconcile calling me someone who "defends blizzard" when I'm literally disagreeing with what they did in this thread ?

I don't get how the logic works out in your mind.

When you call for people to be ignored because you disagree with them, it just makes you sound bigoted. Can't take the disagreement, so rally everyone to your side against someone else.
A few points:

1. People who know me irl have posted in my thread because they know about my epilepsy. Take a read.

2. I wasn't the only one that observed physical issues with the graphic. There were a lot of in game suggestions/tickets of similar stances.

3. This graphic was causing a lot of lash for those who play on low end computers.

4. Again, a LOT of complaints.

5. Thank you Blizzard, for listening.
It's disappointing because I liked the effect, but the xpac is about to expire so its just more of a hype killer than anything else. 8.0 will come and go then the xpac will drop, and we'll just forget about artifacts ever existing.
Well thats too bad, I thought the graphic was pretty cool. They took the sledgehammer approach I guess.