Job opening. Old art models, ect

Classic Discussion
https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/oYEO7fwh

Looks like we'll be getting the old art, models and animations.
I can now sleep easier.

Do you long to travel back to Azeroth before the Mists of Pandaria parted, and before Deathwing broke the world? When the fog obscured the view into the distance, and weather had just been added? Do you have fond memories of the original character animations, and spell effects? Can you help us restore that look to our modern engine? Then the World of Warcraft Classic Engineering team has an opportunity for you.
This is great.

To the extent possible - NO CHANGES.
That makes me very happy, thanks for the link.

I wonder if this also means that retail gets the original models brought back, if so I'd actually be able to play both.
Very excited about this news. It bodes well for the game having as few changes as technically possible.
Excellent news!
I literally can't stop smiling.
The #NoChanges end of the spectrum is looking more and more hopeful, boys. Get hype.
Already posted
On the offhand, the fact that this was JUST posted makes me think Classic is even further off than I originally thought.
Huh, from the way it's describe here, "restoring old models and animations" and the dev watercooler it sounds like their process of running stuff on the new architecture put stuff on the new models, and this opening is to help ensure the old stuff works on a 1 to 1 basis.

This is good, in the very least we're getting old models fully working. Wonder if a toggle is still a goal.
06/21/2018 05:29 PMPosted by Mayvus
On the offhand, the fact that this was JUST posted makes me think Classic is even further off than I originally thought.

I have waited many years in the hopes that Blizzard would make Classic WoW, as many others have. I will gladly wait longer for Blizzard to give us an authentic experience instead of rushing it and adding things from live in just to get it out the door.

I'm very excited for this news. This gives me hope that they truly intend to bring back a legitimate, authentic Vanilla experience in every way. If they are going through the trouble to remake the old graphics, I really can't see them adding any QoL elements outside the scope of Vanilla to the game. Great news in my opinion and I am very happy!
Can you help us restore that look to our modern engine?

Wait restore? And modern engine? And look?

This, in some way, sounds like a remaster? Maybe it doesnt, but you know it does somehow sound like it. Why would you need people to restore a look that is already made and rdy to go?

Just in case they do that and nail it... this brings stuff to a next lvl.

But most likely its nothing... right?

Most likely Im just reading too much between the lines.
06/21/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Lugha
Huh, from the way it's describe here, "restoring old models and animations" and the dev watercooler it sounds like their process of running stuff on the new architecture put stuff on the new models, and this opening is to help ensure the old stuff works on a 1 to 1 basis.

This is good, in the very least we're getting old models fully working. Wonder if a toggle is still a goal.

A content creator named MrGM has said that much of the old Vanilla data is still buried in the current client such as almost all the old models. Only a few things have been deliberately removed. So it's almost a certainty that they're going to re-create Vanilla using a modern engine.

Moreover, like I said in another thread, I doubt and hope that a toggle will be a thing. The WoD toggle never really worked and still used new animations. This job posting specifically says old animations, so I wouldn't count on it.

Besides, there's a way to edit the files in WoW to have new models if it's really that important to you.
06/21/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Dorondir
06/21/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Lugha

A content creator named MrGM has said that much of the old Vanilla data is still buried in the current client such as almost all the old models. Only a few things have been deliberately removed. So it's almost a certainty that they're going to re-create Vanilla using a modern engine.

Moreover, like I said in another thread, I doubt and hope that a toggle will be a thing. The WoD toggle never really worked and still used new animations. This job posting specifically says old animations, so I wouldn't count on it.

Besides, there's a way to edit the files in WoW to have new models if it's really that important to you.

I mean, if I have to mod them, then I have to mod them, won't be the end of the world for me. It's just something I feel they could reasonably implement.

Considering how poorly implemented the WoD toggle has been, it would definitely require a not-insignificant effort to properly add a toggle that can perfectly swap between old models old anims, to new models new anims. Not impossible certainly, but it'd be a specific thing they'd have to implement.
06/21/2018 05:35 PMPosted by May
Can you help us restore that look to our modern engine?

Wait restore? And modern engine? And look?

This, in some way, sounds like a remaster? Maybe it doesnt, but you know it does somehow sound like it. Why would you need people to restore a look that is already made and rdy to go?

Just in case they do that and nail it... this brings stuff to a next lvl.

But most likely its nothing... right?

Most likely Im just reading too much between the lines.

Of course it is. I've been trying to tell people that for 6 months now, but they just get mad. This isn't vanilla World of Warcraft - it's vanilla World of Warcraft recreated on the modern engine. There's nothing wrong with that, though. It will be fine.
Can characters look at each other when you select a player nearby?

That aspect is very immersive with new models.
06/21/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Lugha
it would definitely require a not-insignificant effort to properly add a toggle that can perfectly swap between old models old anims, to new models new anims. Not impossible certainly, but it'd be a specific thing they'd have to implement.

It'd love that for retail, I'd tick old model old anims and never look back. It should be kept out of classic though.

06/21/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Rallea
Can characters look at each other when you select a player nearby?

That aspect is very immersive with new models.

Hopefully not, I found that "addition" very annoying, it also made the animations even more buggy.

I mean, if I have to mod them, then I have to mod them, won't be the end of the world for me. It's just something I feel they could reasonably implement.

Considering how poorly implemented the WoD toggle has been, it would definitely require a not-insignificant effort to properly add a toggle that can perfectly swap between old models old anims, to new models new anims. Not impossible certainly, but it'd be a specific thing they'd have to implement.

Night Elves/Blood Elves completely lost the toggle and could only have the new animations because of Demon Hunters.
06/21/2018 05:49 PMPosted by Brockthorn

Night Elves/Blood Elves completely lost the toggle and could only have the new animations because of Demon Hunters.

Exactly why I pointed out how poorly implemented it is and has been in WoD and Legion.
06/21/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Lugha
06/21/2018 05:49 PMPosted by Brockthorn

Exactly why I pointed out how poorly implemented it is and has been in WoD and Legion.

It was fine in WoD for the most part, they swapped a few racial animations around but atleast the skeletons were intact with the old racial casting animations & running animations.