Pathfinder is not fun

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 21 Next
WoD was annoying but legion pathfinder was funt o me. I miss no flying
I mean I abuse it when I have it but its nice not to have.
Amazes me that most of the pro-pathfinder can't give a single reason why it fits into the story or is beneficial. All I see are insults and attacks at anyone who is against it; they won't even listen to suggestions to improve it.
My dragon forgot how to flap his wings hard enough to fly because he didn't need to for so long :(

Pathfinder is honestly a necessary evil, It forces you to experience the ground content instead of just flying right over it for the leveling process.
06/27/2018 06:29 PMPosted by Hydren
Pathfinder is honestly a necessary evil, It forces you to experience the ground content instead of just flying right over it for the leveling process.

Except in almost every expansion, especially MoP, you couldn't fly until max level. How again is that flying over the leveling process?
06/27/2018 06:29 PMPosted by Dremin
Amazes me that most of the pro-pathfinder can't give a single reason why it fits into the story or is beneficial.
It's added to a lot of players immersion in an rpg, especially with one that's had several reps related to flying mounts. Granted that's not everyone's case but that still is beneficial to a portion of the playerbase.

06/27/2018 06:29 PMPosted by Dremin
All I see are insults and attacks at anyone who is against it; they won't even listen to suggestions to improve it.
Happens on both sides friend. Except more often than not, there's more people that are eager to tear down the enjoyment of others that have enjoyed flight during the pre-pathfinder era.
It's added to a lot of players immersion in an rpg, especially with one that's had several reps related to flying mounts.

What immersion in MoP was different than leveling in Legion? In MoP, you couldn't fly until max level.

Literally, the only difference I see is having to whistle to a flight path after a WQ in Legion rather than controlling your flight to the next daily in MoP.

Also, how is flying not immersive? I get to transform into a bird like Malfurion and soar the skies. I can go ride a horse tomorrow. Nothing fantastical about it.
06/26/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Rastlin
This is why they have a rebellion on their hand.

Considering that ~75% of what little remained of the playerbase just "sucked it up" and did it (some because it was natural for them, others because flight was a big enough reward to just do it), I'm guessing the rebellion is only in your strange dreams.

FTFY
06/27/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Dremin
It's added to a lot of players immersion in an rpg, especially with one that's had several reps related to flying mounts.

What immersion in MoP was different than leveling in Legion? In MoP, you couldn't fly until max level.

Literally, the only difference I see is having to whistle to a flight path after a WQ in Legion rather than controlling your flight to the next daily in MoP.

Also, how is flying not immersive? I get to transform into a bird like Malfurion and soar the skies. I can go ride a horse tomorrow. Nothing fantastical about it.
So when you asked for a single reason, was it just for a single reason that you would accept? Or did you just want reasons to shoot down just for the heck of it? Honestly curious?

Because flying has added to my enjoyment of exploration and immersion of the game when I have it. It's been beneficial to me and I'm sure others as well.
So when you asked for a single reason, was it just for a single reason that you would accept? Honestly curious?Because flying has added to my enjoyment of exploration and immersion of the game when I have it. It's been beneficial to me and I'm sure others as well.

Well, I guess you didn't want follow up questions. Sorry for trying to have a discourse. Good day.
Until the game design changes in Warlords, no player was "forced" to do any form of content that did not appeal to them. If you wanted to raid, you raided. If you wanted to only quest, you quested. Now? You have to quest to progress your character and you have to quest to get the basic travel form in the game.
Um. I beg to disagree.

If I wanted the Violet Proto-Drake, I had to do all the holiday achievements, which required PvP, dungeons, etc.

If I wanted the legendary cloak in MoP (required to do Ordos on Timeless Isle) I had to Raid and PvP.

Ring in WoD? Same.

There are a lot of rewards in WoW that are tied to doing a number of different aspects of the game. Now Blizz has made flying one of those rewards.

Flying is NOT "the basic travel form in the game". Walking or running are. Originally, one couldn't even ride until lvl 40. There are flight masters, boats, zeppelins, portals, etc. that can get a character close to pretty much anywhere they need to go. Flying is simply an additional form of travel that can be more convenient than other forms but is definitely not "basic".
I think the reason they don't want flying in the game is it makes it easier to design content. They can use walls to keep you out of areas or to funnel you in a specific manner rather than worry you'll just fly over and bypass their design. I also think that it's an indication of reduced investment in the game. I do wonder if, maybe, they would have to do cuts in other areas that would impact a greater number of people in a significant way if they didn't make this decision.

That's the best I can come up with. Honestly, I couldn't tell you which has had a bigger negative effect on my game play. PF, CRZ, or the changes to PvP. I was on the receiving end of all those screws.
06/27/2018 06:44 PMPosted by Dremin
Well, I guess you didn't want follow up questions. Sorry for trying to have a discourse. Good day.
It's kind of why I asked the first couple of questions. I didn't know if you were being passive aggressive or what-not, text doesn't always convey meaning well.

The main difference in MoP vs Legion was we didn't have to wait almost 8 months just for the ability to fly. That way when the first no-fly zone hit (IoT) it wasn't as bad as Argus which came four months later after we could finish the achievement to fly.

As for controlling my mount vs the whistle, I'm more prone just to skip killing the random rare or looting a random chest/treasure than I am if I am flying. And for your last bit when I'm on my druid I enjoy shape shifting into flight form very much. It still feels awesome being able to insta-mount and soar as I please. As I said, flying adds to my immersion. I understand it doesn't adds to everyones, but I'd rather not have those people constantly trying to ruin my cheerio's as it were.
06/26/2018 03:31 PMPosted by Tèss
I like Pathfinder.

I enjoy seeing the whole game from the ground level, seeing all the sights and hidden areas.

Once you complete Pathfinder (a passive achievement) by doing what you already should be doing, you are rewarded with the ability to fly, a reward, once earned, that feels good and definitely worth the time spent!

The ach is also account wide and anything account wide is a boon to my gameplay experience. (too many alts) (:

I agree, but the late unlock of the flying achiev is no good

once you obtain it, you should fly

if they think it's OP to be account wide then fine, make it not account wide at first

also

once the xpac is done flying should just be on, or gold purchase option
Pathfinder is just a way to draw out subs. Nothing more, nothing less. You honestly think any dev or player thinks it's about immersion? If that mattered so much to them, they would've just used a ground mount even when others are flying. It was fine to begin with and now it's a pain in the !@#. Just like when Blizz needed to "fix" leveling after all these years.

Blizzard is in the business of making money, not helping the players out.
06/27/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Brahmina
If I wanted the Violet Proto-Drake, I had to do all the holiday achievements, which required PvP, dungeons, etc.

If I wanted the legendary cloak in MoP (required to do Ordos on Timeless Isle) I had to Raid and PvP.

Ring in WoD? Same.

Those were all either legendary achievements or special mounts. They were not everyday game play features. Requiring extraordinary efforts for extraordinary rewards makes sense for game play. Nothing about reputation grinds or daily quests have anything to do with getting back a basic game feature such as flight.

Flying is NOT "the basic travel form in the game".

Flight has been the de facto, basic travel form since TBC. Ground mounts as the distant secondary form. No one has run anywhere for any length of time since Vanilla.
06/26/2018 02:59 PMPosted by Azraia
It's flying or no flying. This was their compromise.

Compromise? "cough" retaliation
06/27/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Dremin
06/27/2018 06:29 PMPosted by Hydren

Except in almost every expansion, especially MoP, you couldn't fly until max level. How again is that flying over the leveling process?

my logic is it slows you down and MAKEs you walk, which is fun and you get most out of area. all expansions with max level flying I see so many guildies being a taxi for mates until they get it. why walk then if players bypass mechanics? pathfinder just makes people experience content correctly for a while
06/27/2018 07:00 PMPosted by Kegstand
The main difference in MoP vs Legion was we didn't have to wait almost 8 months just for the ability to fly. That way when the first no-fly zone hit (IoT) it wasn't as bad as Argus which came four months later after we could finish the achievement to fly.

Honestly, this is probably what irks me about pathfinder the most. I wish they'd just be upfront and say the wait is due to them finishing the 3d environment. There's really no other reason (I can think of) to make us wait beyond the first patch.

Anyway, I also probably wouldn't be as annoyed if the achievement had meaning or a story the way it did in BC, when everyone went through a long quest chain, not just scattered quests and reps that never discuss our inability to fly.

I mean...Legion and BFA both take place in Azeroth. At least in Northrend it was "Cold Weather Flying" that we bought.

I don't know. Just seems there's a lot of ways to improve the "fun" of pathfinder that the devs won't even consider.

06/27/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Hellcules
my logic is it slows you down and MAKEs you walk, which is fun and you get most out of area. all expansions with max level flying I see so many guildies being a taxi for mates until they get it. why walk then if players bypass mechanics? pathfinder just makes people experience content correctly for a while

I had more fun in MoP, when I couldn't fly on all 12 of my characters while leveling, but could go out and explore each zone while leveling/questing, knowing my reward of flying wasn't going to be drawn out for half the expansion. I even grinded most of the reps for that xpac and I stayed subbed for all of it, unlike WoD and Legion where I cancelled my sub till flying became a possibility and alts became repetitive rather than explorative.
06/27/2018 07:22 PMPosted by Kheradin

Ring in WoD? Same.

Those were all either legendary achievements or special mounts. They were not everyday game play features. Requiring extraordinary efforts for extraordinary rewards makes sense for game play. Nothing about reputation grinds or daily quests have anything to do with getting back a basic game feature such as flight.

Flying is NOT "the basic travel form in the game".

Flight has been the de facto, basic travel form since TBC. Ground mounts as the distant secondary form. No one has run anywhere for any length of time since Vanilla.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about this. I personally consider flight a special reward, not an "everyday game play feature".

The fact remains, now that gold can be purchased for cash, Blizzard will not bring back buying flight for gold. Can Pathfinder be improved? Absolutely. Will it be removed? Only if the devs that want flight removed completely get their way.
06/27/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Brahmina
I feel kind of bad for folks who don't like Pathfinder. To me, it's like they're saying they don't like playing WoW.

OR we love playing WoW but hate having the WQs shoved down our throats.

They contribute absolutely nothing to the story and flow of the expansion. Some reputations are not a targetable rep (Wardens). This might come as a crazy concept, I know, but some people would prefer to group up and do dungeons rather than run around doing world quests. Yet, if that person wants to fly, if that person wanted to unlock allied races in Legion, that had to be put on hold, because WQs are king in this expansion.

And that's the one point you're all missing, or just blatantly refusing to look at: Why can't there be other options for rep? Can you give one good rational argument why when the WQs are done, you can't run some dungeons for some more rep for one of the factions? And before you point out people using that to rush reputations to exalted, wouldn't they deserve if they put in that much extra effort beyond an emissary quest every day and a few random quests? Still require loremaster, and explorer, and the 100 unique world quests, still require getting through any major side-stories. That's all fine. But the rep should have NEVER been gated behind the world quests. It was just an awful idea.

It was actually possible to log on, and want to work towards pathfinder, but that was just not happening. It's happening to people who still care about unlocking the allied races early... They log on and want to work on one of their reps, and can't because there's just no more world quests for the day after they finished them. So then that's it, it's over. There isn't a thing they can do to work towards that goal for the day. They're done. They might as well just log back off. Are you SERIOUSLY going to say that this system makes sense? That if you need wardens rep and there's only 4 wardens WQs up, then that's literally the only thing you can do towards that goal for the entire day?