Undead Slaying Armor - constructive Feedback from an unsatisfied customer

General Discussion

That said, what are your thoughts on what I recommended in the OP? There are so many people out there who are in the position - a position you were in as well - of not being able to restore those items, people who aren't in that unique situation of having that info snapshotted on some database. Would you like to see this appearance be made obtainable again, maybe see it become tied to feats of strength that were obtainable during the pre-WotLK event?

Would love your thoughts on this. And I would also like to thank everyone so far for keeping a pretty civil tone, let's keep up some reasonable discussion and maybe we can get an official response.

Thanks!

It's a fine line between making items that are exclusive meaningless and giving people another chance to obtain said items.

My personal thoughts are that the Blessed Battlegear of Undead Slaying is coveted because of its rarity and not it's appearance. Meaning that if it was available to everyone, it would lose it's rarity thus its value and be a net loss to the metagame of collecting and prestige. I also understand that my perspective comes from a person who already has the armor.

As for Elite PvP sets, I think Blizzard should add a vendor that's able to detect item ID's in the same way that the vendor in the Darkmoon Faire is able to detect if your character has the Scarlet Tabard and allow you to buy the rest of whichever season's set you're missing as long as you have at least 1 elite item from that season. Example: I have the Cataclysmic Gladiator's Elite helmet, I talk to the vendor and it unlocks the option to buy any of the other Elite Cataclysmic Gladiator items on that character. Not a perfect solution, but that's my best idea.
07/16/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Endre
Why don't people get that what happened to asmongold was just sheer luck? He happened to have transferred with it and then sold it after the fact. You. Didn't. Why is this even an issue being brought up? It's literally just jealousy from people who can't understand that sometimes other people are a little bit more lucky than them.

The best analogy I can apply to this is calling your state's lottery system and complaining over and over that someone else won and you didn't even though you bought a bunch of scratch off cards.

He got lucky. That's it. "Salt in the wound" or not, whether you're "not a satisfied customer" or anything like that, you aren't entitled to something because the stars just happened to align perfectly for someone else. I understand what you're saying about retroactively applying the appearances to the FoS, but something tells me that doing so fairly (aka for those who actually got the armor) is a lot more complicated than people think.

As much as I wanna agree with/support you guys who wanna get your armor back, I just can't understand it. Maybe, just maybe they'll give in in the future, but honestly, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
No one is even focusing on the streamer. We're coming up with ideas to help others. This isn't a new topic. I've seen it often over the years.

No one is bent out of shape or causing drama or flipping out. No one really cares what happened with the streamer, because we know it's a unique circumstance.

But there are quite a few who ended up without these sets because they were deleted or for the wrong class or RNG just didn't like them.

I feel the best solution is a vendor for everyone with the achiev and tabard. We all know we were there and we all have that achiev and tabard. So there's really no problem with a vendor to sell the sets. No one who was part of the event would begrudge anyone the outfits.

Again, let's please leave the streamer out of it. He's really unimportant to the discussion at hand and no one cares what happened with him.
07/16/2018 09:43 PMPosted by Asmongold
My personal thoughts are that the Blessed Battlegear of Undead Slaying is coveted because of its rarity and not it's appearance. Meaning that if it was available to everyone, it would lose it's rarity thus its value and be a net loss to the metagame of collecting and prestige. I also understand that my perspective comes from a person who already has the armor.

Allowing people who have the Argent Dawn tabard or similar achievements for doing related events during that time wouldn't be anything close to the same as making it available to everyone, though.

The Invasion lasted for three weeks. Ten years ago. According to WoW Rarity, 17.56% of players have the Tabard of the Argent Dawn achievement. How many of us are still active? How many would even want the set?

It's a change that would affect a fraction of a fraction of people.

And, for the most part, only other people like you or I - people who legitimately had the armor at one point - would be able to get it with such a method.

I mean, I'd get why it'd still be so restricted if it was a moderately prestigious armor set, but it wasn't. Players could get it while still leveling up. It's just something that says "hey, I was here"... which I certainly was, considering the tabard I've been wearing almost non stop since then.
07/16/2018 09:43 PMPosted by Asmongold
It's a fine line between making items that are exclusive meaningless and giving people another chance to obtain said items.

Totally agree, I'd not want this to set to become very common either. However, tying it to the Feat of Strength would ensure that this would hit everyone/nearly everyone who -like me, like you up until recently - had the full set of armor but can't get it restored. Sure, there would be a few people who didn't have the armor but did get the tabard, but that's still a small group of people. It would only affect players who both still play and were playing 10 years ago.

Hell, we've got the WotLK 10-year anniversary coming up this Fall, let's tie this in with that! :)
I think it's a fantastic solution to allow those with the Feat of Strength and tabard to buy the armor pieces from a vendor even if it means those who didn't actually obtain the drops to purchase the gear. The thing I've disagreed with since day one was removing content from the game and closing off things to those who didn't happen to play at that particular time. I understand the want to feel rewarded for playing the game during the early days but I feel there is enough of that sort of content around.
07/17/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Aarielle
I think it's a fantastic solution to allow those with the Feat of Strength and tabard to buy the armor pieces from a vendor even if it means those who didn't actually obtain the drops to purchase the gear. The thing I've disagreed with since day one was removing content from the game and closing off things to those who didn't happen to play at that particular time. I understand the want to feel rewarded for playing the game during the early days but I feel there is enough of that sort of content around.

I mean, prestige items are all well and good. But with no transmog feature at the time, a lot of us who might have otherwise kept the gear didn't, because you couldn't show it off unless you were RPing in a capital city or something.

You notice how I kept and continue to wear the tabard? Because we could show that one off while doing current content?

I get why Blizzard wouldn't want to just make all unobtainable early stuff accessible again, and why they can't just track everything in the same boat as the Blessed Battlegear, but the tabard (and achievement for it) show that we were active participants in the event at the time.

It'd be like if there was an older version of the Mage Tower that rewarded weapons four years before transmog was introduced, and while Blizzard couldn't track the weapons themselves, they could still see that players got an achievement for clearing it. Did they unlock the entire set of weapons for their class? No, perhaps not. But it'd still be fair enough to let players with the achievement purchase those weapons, since in most cases it would just be rewarding a tiny fraction of players with things they'd already earned years prior.
07/17/2018 07:51 PMPosted by Nyzer
07/17/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Aarielle

I mean, prestige items are all well and good. But with no transmog feature at the time, a lot of us who might have otherwise kept the gear didn't, because you couldn't show it off unless you were RPing in a capital city or something.

You notice how I kept and continue to wear the tabard? Because we could show that one off while doing current content?

I get why Blizzard wouldn't want to just make all unobtainable early stuff accessible again, and why they can't just track everything in the same boat as the Blessed Battlegear, but the tabard (and achievement for it) show that we were active participants in the event at the time.

It'd be like if there was an older version of the Mage Tower that rewarded weapons four years before transmog was introduced, and while Blizzard couldn't track the weapons themselves, they could still see that players got an achievement for clearing it. Did they unlock the entire set of weapons for their class? No, perhaps not. But it'd still be fair enough to let players with the achievement purchase those weapons, since in most cases it would just be rewarding a tiny fraction of players with things they'd already earned years prior.

This dude gets it :D