Wow should have ended after wotlk tbh

General Discussion
Thanks for this worthless thread. There's not even a complaint, it's just "I don't like the story so this game is pointless and bad"
07/09/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Ashlarius
There was no more point to fight anymore. We've killed the main antagonist which was the lich king. this is what happens to games that go on forever, they become bad overtime. Its been a good 8 years

I mean...

It can end for you, or anyone else, whenever they like.

I'm sure many people don't agree with you (myself included) and hope the game stays around for many more years to come.
The Lich King was far, but far from being Azeroth's biggest threat.
You could have and no one would have noticed.
07/09/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Bruise
classic is coming out to deliver us from this painfully mediocre gaming experience soon

Oh the rosy glasses, how interesting will it be to see people trying to game like they're 22 again.
07/09/2018 07:05 AMPosted by Chievavore
The picture isn't that rosy

People have been saying this for as long as I've been playing, if not longer. Sure, subs have declined, it's an old game, but it still beats every other game out there meaning other newer games have even fewer subs. It seems to me that it's the people with personal complaints about the game who see it as failing, and I'm pretty sure that post-closure, there will be all sorts of theories about why it failed that relate back to those complaints even though not everyone agreed and even they themselves continued to sub. It's silly.
If WoW had ended at WotLK, we wouldn't have gotten Mists of Pandaria; hands down the best (subjective!) Expansion released for WoW so far. So much passion went into the making of MoP and it really shows; the story, animations, music, class design, artwork, NPCs and quests. ♥
07/09/2018 06:52 AMPosted by Gutb
Well, lore is total joke now so it’s dumb to even discuss it because Blizz will just make up whatever BS suites a storyline, but there were several major events that had to be addressed:

1. Legion and Sargeras — now dealt with in a lame manner.
2. Old Gods — still outstanding.
3. Naga and Azshara — STILL outstanding, if they don’t get thier own expansion I’ll be mad.
4. Scourge and Lich King — dealt with.

Instead of doing something about one of the remaining issues we’re getting some dumb faction war crap. I don’t even mind faction war stuff because it is a part of the game’s basis but you can’t just make it the focus of an expansion.

Uh, the lore has always been whatever Blizzard chose to make up. It's not like it was handed down from on high -- like Metzen went up on Mount Sinai, and came back down with the sacred Lore engraved on a couple of stone tablets or something (no disrespect intended to Metzen, mind you).
07/09/2018 06:41 AMPosted by Revaks
07/09/2018 06:34 AMPosted by Tyberim
The main antagonist was always Sargeras. The Lich King was just the most immediate threat.

Void Lords.

#SargarasWasRight
07/09/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Tarc
classic is coming out to deliver us from this painfully mediocre gaming experience soon

Oh the rosy glasses, how interesting will it be to see people trying to game like they're 22 again.

I was 11 then, now I am 25 so I'm actually excited to get back into it, this time actually knowing what to do haha.
rosy glasses
you kids are desperate for it to fail lol
07/09/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Bruise
rosy glasses
you kids are desperate for it to fail lol

I feel like people don't really understand the idiom anymore. To look through rose colored glasses means to look back upon the past only pleasantly, that you don't remember the bad. It isn't necessarily a negative statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1hXGXJ7Tg

Riveting. I miss sinister strike...SS...SS...feint....SS....SS...EVIS! FEINT! ss....ss....ss - switch to fire resist gear....repeat.

10 seconds between SS going off. Dude had time to whisper people during a world first kill while dpsing.

Can I get a pair of those glasses too?
That's like saying Lord of the Rings should have stopped after they defeated Sarumon, the white wizard who was basically pulling all the strings, making the Orcs and planning the attacks. But Sarumon was really just a pawn of Sauron (big evil eye). You can't stop until you beat Sarumon's boss.

The Lich King was just a Pawn of Kil'Jaeden or at least he was supposed to be. And Kil'Jaeden isn't even the top boss cause he works for Sargaris.
Good for 8 years?

1) Tons and tons of people disliked Wrath, especially the story. Wrath was the era in which wow started catering to all players, giving access to all content (but making it faceroll easy in the process). Some would call this a leap in the design, others called it a failure.

2) I personally like the lore in Cata and MoP more than Wrath, I don't hate wrath but it's extremely over rated. Again, point 1), they practically turned Arthas in a scoobydoo villain in some scenarios.

3) Some of us were bigger fans of Deathwing than Arthas even before wow was a thing, heaven forbid we got to see our favorite villain in action as well.

4) Calling wow good for 8 years only is just simple minded, I had WAY more fun in Legion than I ever did in BC (on a PVE perspective).

5) You realize Sargeras was a villain before Arthas right? You realize Sargeras was and is the ultimate villain in this game right? You realize Arthas is nothing compared to Sargeras right?

6) Just because you aren't having fun now, doesn't mean others aren't.

In short, opinions bro.
07/09/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Ashlarius
There was no more point to fight anymore. We've killed the main antagonist which was the lich king. this is what happens to games that go on forever, they become bad overtime. Its been a good 8 years

Pretend it did and go away
Nobody wants to admit it, but Wrath, while supremely great at it's best (ie. Ulduar) was also horribly flawed. The first raid tier was a joke - every serious raid guild cleared all 3 preliminary raids in the first two weeks on my realm at the time. The titles Conqueror of Naxxramas, the Obsidian Slayer and the Magic Seeker simply went nearly instantly to the top guild on the server. I was in the top guild on my server at the time, we took 10 days from the expansion's start to tier clear That's ridiculous.

The dungeons were nearly useless after the first few weeks for most serious players, maybe except for badge grinding on alts.

And then there was T9. I never got my stupid horse, it was a terrible raid period and even high end raiders seemingly sucked balls at kiting on Anub. One of the worst raids ever.

Wrath had great points - I loved levelling, Northrend was gorgeous, Ulduar and ICC are high points in raiding, but in between maybe it wasn't as good of an expansion as people's rose colored glasses suggest.
I feel like people don't really understand the idiom anymore. To look through rose colored glasses means to look back upon the past only pleasantly, that you don't remember the bad. It isn't necessarily a negative statement.

Saying that a positive view of classic is a product of nostalgia suggests that the game won't be good when experienced now.

07/09/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Ssleak
Riveting. I miss sinister strike...SS...SS...feint...
Nobody played WoW to PvE. People did dungeons and raids to gear up for PvP, which was good gameplay. And you'd need to have actually played vanilla to be able to look at it through nostalgia goggles.
07/09/2018 10:15 AMPosted by Bruise
Nobody played WoW to PvE. People did dungeons and raids to gear up for PvP, which was good gameplay. And you'd need to have actually played vanilla to be able to look at it through nostalgia goggles.

If anyone in the history of ever chose WoW because of a love of PvP they are pants-on-head absurd.
The Lich King wasn't even the main antagonist, really.

If anything, the Legion would probably have a better claim to that title. That was one really cool thing about this expansion: we actually dealt with that threat in a way that feels final, so the Warcraft story can move on.

It seems that they may do something similar with Azshara and the Old Gods in BfA, which would probably also be positive. There is something waiting in the wings, like a death god, or whatever.

The idea of Mac'Aree, and returning to the Draenei homeworld... all of that stuff was "leaked" and/or speculated about since the Burning Crusade.

So... meh. Other than maybe alternate universe Draenor, which could be considered a bit of a shark jump, or act of desperation, due to a lack of ideas, the main WoW story has been pretty strong overall.

I would take issue moreso with how that story has been told, especially characterization, and details of the execution. That type of stuff matters a lot, in terms of the story's impact, and the enjoyment one can derive from it. But as a basic narrative, the WoW story has been epic, and mostly anchored in ideas that have been around since forever, such as the Old Gods and the Legion.