Suggestion : Make a Ranged DPS DK Spec

Death Knight
One of the issues I've had while playing my DK in the past (and other classes as well) is the imbalance between ranged and melee DPS. It's been my experience in the game that being a melee DPS means that it's harder to find raid slots.

Blizzard has not helped this situation, since every new class added has been melee DPS (DK, Monk, DH) This has led to 9 melee DPS classes and 6 ranged DPS classes.

Why not turn one of the DK specs into a ranged spec? You could make unholy summon undead minions to throw at the enemy with death coil as a filler. You could generate runic power by summoning minions (effectively DOTs) and then spend that power on death coils.

Blizzard has given melee specs to ranged classes with the hunter. Why not give a ranged spec to the DK?
The closest type of playstyle I could see a ranged Necromancy-based fighter, would be an almost direct Copy/Pasta of the Demonology Warlock model.

Andddd.. thats.. already a thing. @.@

Otherwise, would *totally* roll a plate-wearing spellcaster.
You could make the same case for destruction warlocks, balance druids, and fire mages. All of them cast spells at a distance for damage.

What makes the gameplay unique is the mechanics between them. Where warlocks use soul shards and mana, DKs would use runes and runic power -- which creates a different mechanic for playing.

So what if there are two pet classes that spam minions. Minions are cool. Throwing hordes of them at your target is a blast.
Teron gorefiend and warcraft 2 death knights agree rrsr
UH is close enough for me. Death Coil, Clawing shadows, and diseases are enough ranged for me.
07/17/2018 03:18 PMPosted by Kenthazar
Teron gorefiend and warcraft 2 death knights agree rrsr

We are entirely unrelated to those Death Knights. The fact that they are so distinctly different, and are essentially mounted casters, should be apparent enough.
suggestion: put yourself in the bin.

jokes aside i kind of agree, unholy would be cool similar to a survival hunter
I wanr unholy revamp but more into skeletal spam with much more melee dots.
A class that truly needs 3rd ranged spec is Demon Hunter.
That class is in a dumpster fire as far as options and balance goes.
No please, I like unholy the way it is. A range/melee hybrid. It's close enough, no need to push it over all the way into range.

If they want something like that just release a necromancer class and be done with it.
07/17/2018 03:57 PMPosted by Diecruxx
UH is close enough for me. Death Coil, Clawing shadows, and diseases are enough ranged for me.

Agreed. I am at the point that I won’t play without Clawing Shadows, don’t even care if it is a net loss in a Patchwerk fight.
07/19/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Konahrïk

Or they could just do the honorable thing and delete that trash class...
07/19/2018 08:51 AMPosted by Outbreaks
07/19/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Konahrïk

Or they could just do the honorable thing and delete that trash class...

Dude, they belong in WoW as much as DKs do. They certainly earned their place far more than bullcrap such as monks are.

It is just that their substance does not live up to their edgy and cool look and popularity.

When DK was introduced, it was rich class with too many options and abilities.
When DH was introduced, you are grasping for straws to make it fun for yourself...
07/19/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Outbreaks
07/17/2018 03:57 PMPosted by Diecruxx

Agreed. I am at the point that I won’t play without Clawing Shadows, don’t even care if it is a net loss in a Patchwerk fight.

Back during the Legion beta Clawing Shadows allowed unholy DKs the ability to play as a semi-ranged spec. You'd have to drop into melee to apply your Festering Strikes and you'd lose ~8% damage due to auto attacks, but it was a neat idea.
Give us a two hander that Auto attacks like a wand and move the ghoul change to proc festering wounds to a different level than our plague and we'd be set for the Range Unholy spec.
07/17/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Feydark
Why not turn one of the DK specs into a ranged spec?

because warlocks exist. also you can play unholy ranged if you know what you are doing.
As someone who only mains Melee dps, the role isn't the issue. Melee dps is more competitive than ranged dps (game is way too melee heavy atm), so if you want a melee spot in raids you have to prove you are worth taking over others.
07/19/2018 01:55 PMPosted by Inemia
07/17/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Feydark
Why not turn one of the DK specs into a ranged spec?

because warlocks exist. also you can play unholy ranged if you know what you are doing.
You must have missed the point. There are more melee DPS specs than ranged DPS specs. This makes ranged more desireable for raid teams. The idea is to balance out and add more ranged specs. Saying "Make a lock" does not help.

Have you checked https://wowanalyzer.com/ . There does not seem to be any way that unholy dk is a 'ranged spec' based upon the raid logs. How exactly are you saying it is a ranged spec if you know what you are doing?

Does your raid team give you a ranged slot?
demonology warlock ----->