Why do people love Cats?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 15 Next
Dogs are annoying. It's not just the matter of "taking care of them". It's also the fact that they're so energetic/high-strung/needy/instinctive that you can't even deal with having someone come to the house without having to fend off your pet in some manner.

I see it whenever I'm delivering parcels to people's houses, too - there're occasional decent dogs that don't try to rush the door, and rare good dogs that don't even BORK BORK BORK BORK BORK the whole time while we're at it. But most of the owners have to open the door just a crack and squeeze through while the dog is pushing at them and barking wildly from the other side.

Cats are a great pet for people that want a pet, and not a pseudo-child permanently stuck in the terrible twos phase.
Nyzer, like I said on page 7, dogs reflect the training they're given.

You train the dog well, treat it with love and compassion, and as needed, discipline, and you'll have a wonderful companion for your home.

Sadly, most people don't know how to properly raise a dog.
07/15/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Verdre
A feral cat or a cat badly abused can be an absolute monster.

I think it's important to point out that any animal can turn into a monster based on how it's treated. I just point out dogs because the things they do seem to be forgotten when people complain about cats.
07/15/2018 03:34 PMPosted by Tâssadar
07/15/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Verdre
A feral cat or a cat badly abused can be an absolute monster.

I think it's important to point out that any animal can turn into a monster based on how it's treated. I just point out dogs because the things they do seem to be forgotten when people complain about cats.

Same with birbs. :( Most of them only scream when stressed or lonely.

It's important to support TNR programs to reduce feral cat populations, as well as be responsible about letting pets outside.

If you cannot commit to an animal's needs, do not get the animal. Volunteer with a shelter. Pet a friend's pet. But never forget an animal is a living being with needs, including socializing, training and the basics.
07/15/2018 03:30 PMPosted by Nyzer
Dogs are annoying. It's not just the matter of "taking care of them". It's also the fact that they're so energetic/high-strung/needy/instinctive that you can't even deal with having someone come to the house without having to fend off your pet in some manner.

I see it whenever I'm delivering parcels to people's houses, too - there're occasional decent dogs that don't try to rush the door, and rare good dogs that don't even BORK BORK BORK BORK BORK the whole time while we're at it. But most of the owners have to open the door just a crack and squeeze through while the dog is pushing at them and barking wildly from the other side.

Cats are a great pet for people that want a pet, and not a pseudo-child permanently stuck in the terrible twos phase.

Training issue. Dogs are very active and need to be exercised every day even for a quick zoomies outside for 20 minutes, they need to move. This is a known fact. "Though exercise needs are based on a dog's age, breed, size and overall health, your dog should spend between 30 minutes to two hours on an activity every day. Breeds in the hunting, working, or herding groups (e.g., Labrador retrievers, hounds, collies and shepherds) will need the most exercise." - google

They have tons of energy that needs to be spent somehow. They can be very well house mannered if you spend time to train them, my lab knew not to jump all over people or bark at any little thing.
I am the human servant of Hendrix the cat. I am only good for preparing his meals and cleaning his litter box. Otherwise master Hendrix loves my girlfriend only.
I have had dogs, and have had a girlfriend that has cats.

Both my dogs, and her cats, were kind and I loved them.
07/15/2018 03:40 PMPosted by Diedtrying
I am the human servant of Hendrix the cat. I am only good for preparing his meals and cleaning his litter box. Otherwise master Hendrix loves my girlfriend only.

So the question becomes: Does Overlord Hendrix chase lasers? I must know, for science!
Meow! Cat person here, with two sweet, adorable boys. Yes, they can be obnoxious
little brats, ... but they are very sweet most of the time -- and I wouldn't have them
any other way. ^_^

Their MY little brats that I raised by hand as orphans and I love 'em both. ~<3
07/15/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Sigrún
I was attacked by a dog while walking home from kindergarten. I'm not mortally afraid of them anymore, but I still don't like them.

As a person who grew up on a ranch in Arizona, we had plenty of dogs. German Shepherd's, Red and Blue Heeler's, Pitbull's, Labrador's...ect. Never had a problem with dogs.

One fateful day when I was a kid changed everything. I was about 10 or 11 at the time, a friend of mine was into go-kart racing and we took a trip to a parts store for go-karts. We get there and they had this huge dog.

Friend of mine walks up and pets it and keeps on going past the dog. (I'm the kinda person who does not pet someones dog if I do not know it.) I walk past the dog (didn't pet it) and it attacked me.

Sadly a few days after the attack the store owners ended up putting the dog down. No this was not a pitbull, it was a mastiff.

From that moment for almost 15 years I was terrified of dogs. I still get very nervous when I'm around new dogs.

I'm 28 now and I have two cats whom both I found at work abandoned as kittens.
Dogs are pack animals and are also loud and wet. I'm not a pack animal, don't like noise and don't like slobber.
07/15/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Rastakhul
Why do people, especially gamers and nerds (We're all nerds here relax), love cats so much?

I always found them to be vile, selfish creatures without loyalty, while a dog is loyal and can be trained. A cat can not be trained.

Is it because cats take care of themselves mostly and gamers tend to be on the lazy side?

This is actually pretty ignorant considering that they can be trained. Also, there are some pretty bad breeds of dog out there that I think are harder to train than a cat (think small).

Oh and I'm a dog person.
07/15/2018 03:46 PMPosted by Solar
Sadly a few days after the attack the store owners ended up putting the dog down. No this was not a pitbull, it was a mastiff.

Strange, are Mastiff's known to just snap and attack? That's odd. I get if the dog felt like it was being trapped in a corner, but I'm betting it had plenty of room to move around.

I'm 28 now and I have two cats whom both I found at work abandoned as kittens.

That's the happy ending I was hoping for.
From that moment for almost 15 years I was terrified of dogs. I still get very nervous when I'm around new dogs.

I had a similar experience. Don't recall the breed. But I was the one attacked. Left a scar that I still have over 25 years later (barely visible now). For about 5-8 years I couldn't even be near dogs.

I was even extremely nervous about moving in with my dad (finances were tight) because he had a bulldog. But I did. Didn't have a choice. Sweetest thing you'd ever meet. His life revolved around balls. Throw the ball, throw the ball, did I say you could stop throwing the ball?
07/15/2018 03:47 PMPosted by Magnata
Dogs are pack animals and are also loud and wet. I'm not a pack animal, don't like noise and don't like slobber.

So if I put a kittycat in your lap it's all good? :)
Mostly because there's nothing quite as soothing as a warm, purring kitty in your lap. Cats have a calming effect on humans in that way.

Plus I live in a shoe box of an apartment and house cats are a better fit.
Strange, are Mastiff's known to just snap and attack? That's odd. I get if the dog felt like it was being trapped in a corner, but I'm betting it had plenty of room to move around.

You know I'm not really sure. This dog was a "lot" dog, dog was there to keep people from breaking in the place at night, but when you have customers walking around the daytime its a risk.
I did however have a small dog named Puppy (Pek, dox, poodle mix), and two cats, Mewlip (tortis shell) and Thomas Jefferson Tubbs (tonkineses) Think they got confused as to which was which because they took on each other's habits, not to mention they would lick each other as they passed and would protect each other.....

I remember once a German shepherd went after Puppy when she was taking a potty break on the tree in my front yard.... Puppy yipped and Mewlip launched through the screen door and landed with all four feet clawing into the shepherd's face and then chased it back across the street, then returned and they came back in together with the old sniff and lick to make sure the other was okay.

Friend had a farm dog and cat that would go hunting together. Cat would flush out the game and the dog would chase it down.
Solar, sounds like the owners trained him as what I call an "attack dog" and not a "guard dog".

The problem is too many people that train "guard dogs" just train them to be "mean" and bark at Anything . Which sadly tends to result in problems when an employee has to enter property After Hours and the like.
07/15/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Tâssadar
07/15/2018 03:47 PMPosted by Magnata

So if I put a kittycat in your lap it's all good? :)

Yep... better if it crawls up there and goes to sleep itself.