My Shadow Priest has too many buttons

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prune harder. I don't have room for Dark Ascension, Mind Sear, Leap of Faith, or PW:Fort on my bar. I mean, I do...but I'm gonna have to move some stuff around here. =/

I feel like there is an opportunity to fuse the effects of Vampiric Embrace, Vampiric Touch, and Shadow Word: Pain into a single ability somehow. Misery is a start, but baseline we could become a single-dot spec, and that dot could provide us with both self-healing and a lesser amount of group healing.

Another idea with some potential is merging Shackle Undead and Mind Control into a single ability. Mind Control doesn't currently work on Undead, so maybe using it on an Undead would just Shackle them instead? You'd probably want to rename the fused ability to something else - but I think it makes sense to merge them together.

What about Dispel Magic and Purify Disease? It could be a single ability that does one thing when an enemy is targeted and another when a friendly is targeted.

Anyway, just wanted to throw some ideas out there, because since when is Shadow Priest one of the more complicated specs in the game?
Stop.
I'm actually not kidding. Or I guess they could give me a 5th action bar. That would work.

I'm not trying to suggest a loss of functionality, I just want things that don't get much use to be merged where it makes sense. I'm not somebody who liked when Mind Sear was passive - so I'm kind of surprised myself to be asking for this - but I am serious.
Blizz devs: Don't get any ideas. This guy's opinions do not represent those of the Spriest community. The number of buttons is perfectly fine.
As Shadow it’s very easy to overload your action bar. As a player I like having 5-6 core abilities I use frequently and some cooldowns. Shadow has that for its core and I don’t want that to change. I think the problem is that quite a few of the active ability talents are better than passives so you start loading up on other attacks. I think it’s mostly the nonsensical placement of talents that lack theme in rows that has been pointed out a few times.

I’d love to see a little more theme in the talent rows. Other than that I was having fun playing the spec yesterday.
Too many buttons?
You'll be happy to know you're able to pick some passive options for talents of it has become an issue. Saying that, you may want a few if running dungeons (crash at least).
No.
Hey don't troll like this, the devs may actually take it serious :D
07/18/2018 05:10 AMPosted by Saphraxis
Hey don't troll like this, the devs may actually take it serious :D

This. Lol.
And people wonder why the player base blames casuals for ruining the game. I present to the court exhibit A.
Must be nice. My Havoc DH has 16 abilities and Vengeance has 17. So now I know where all the buttons went, Priest stole them all!
I'd give them to you if I could. But only up to 24, because I play DH too.
By default you have 6 bars to turn on
Its a good thing you don't play a Druid then you'd be completely lost. The issue here isn't with the game, the issue is with you and Blizzard is part to blame as well. Learning how to use macros will solve your issue and maintain the classes complexity. The answer isn't always pruning and more pruning. Each time Blizzard prunes classes the pvp side of the game is adversly effected. And if you're not aware of this pvp participation from WOD to LEGION is down 75% and Wod was down from MOP. The fault more so lies Blizzard for not educating new players on macros and not even pointing new players in the right direction to more about Macros or any given topic for that matter.
You can easily fit everything you need onto 3 action bars.

I recommend installing Opie. It's a nifty addon that lets you bind miltiple things onto one keybind.

Useful for binding together all of your mounts, pots, trade skills, ect.
I think posts like this are good because it's representative of a not-insignificant playerbase that, in general, the forums refuse to acknowledge.
07/19/2018 03:14 PMPosted by Dumb
I think posts like this are good because it's representative of a not-insignificant playerbase that, in general, the forums refuse to acknowledge.

He could just y'know, not put them on his bars.

People like this can self-prune if he doesn't feel like he can fit everything. He'll be suboptimal, but that's on him. Everyone else shouldn't have to suffer because of unskilled players who can't figure out keybinds.

You're right in that there's probably a lot of players like this, but that doesn't mean their opinions are worth considering, much less implementing.
My arcane mage has too many buttons as well. I shouldn't have to even press a button to spam arcane blast. Why not stream line it to 0 and have it autocast.
07/19/2018 03:14 PMPosted by Dumb

I don't agree with the mentality of "prune more", but I will admit he does bring up some valid points. Points that get overshadowed by the knee-jerk reaction of gasp PRUNING? BURN THE HERETIC!

There is an opportunity for Blizzard to merge certain abilities together. I wouldn't mind seeing Purify Disease and Purge get murged into a single button which switches its effect based on who is targeted.

This actually prunes nothing, makes the individual skill a bit more complex, and consolidates your bars a tad more. This is a good suggestion.

I don't agree with everything else. He suggests combining multiple rotational and utility spells into one without actually taking the time to consider the implications that such a change would bring. OP even admits this in his post when he says that he's not entirely sure how these abilities would be murged, only that it was a possibility.
Bind more abilities to your bars. You have enough room, you just haven't tried hard enough to find it.