My Shadow Priest has too many buttons

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
07/19/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Grizzlpaw
07/19/2018 03:14 PMPosted by Dumb
I think posts like this are good because it's representative of a not-insignificant playerbase that, in general, the forums refuse to acknowledge.

I don't agree with the mentality of "prune more", but I will admit he does bring up some valid points. Points that get overshadowed by the knee-jerk reaction of gasp PRUNING? BURN THE HERETIC!

There is an opportunity for Blizzard to merge certain abilities together. I wouldn't mind seeing Purify Disease and Purge get murged into a single button which switches its effect based on who is targeted.

This actually prunes nothing, makes the individual skill a bit more complex, and consolidates your bars a tad more. This is a good suggestion.

I don't agree with everything else. He suggests combining multiple rotational and utility spells into one without actually taking the time to consider the implications that such a change would bring. OP even admits this in his post when he says that he's not entirely sure how these abilities would be murged, only that it was a possibility.

They merged charge and intervien for warriors. Trust me didn't make anything better.
I wouldn't mind seeing Purify Disease and Purge get murged into a single button which switches its effect based on who is targeted.

I like this. I like you.

But yes everything else sucks. No moar pruning.
07/20/2018 12:37 AMPosted by Annesh
I wouldn't mind seeing Purify Disease and Purge get murged into a single button which switches its effect based on who is targeted.

I like this. I like you.

But yes everything else sucks. No moar pruning.

This. Although as a theorycrafter and "numbers guy" working on shadow I have another comment about pruning, and this will likely be highly controversial but I'm going to say it anyway.

Removal of mind sear from our intended aoe rotation was a step forward. How exactly that was done definitely needed ironing out, but the removal of the spell from our rotation was a good move and I really wish they'd iterated on it instead of taking a step back.

Note I didn't say removal of the spell was good. Shadow needs some way to clear stuff in old content etc, but I really dislike the spell's usage as a real aoe for dungeons etc. Allow me to explain.

Mind Sear's damage is capped at 49.5%~ the damage of mind flay because it cannot be stronger than flay on 1 or 2 targets. This means if you want to buff sear to be a competitive aoe tool, you've also got to buff Flay. This on the surface seems pretty doable, but it causes a lot of issues in how strong things like dots and our actual nukes (Bolt blast dots) can be in single target.

Simply put, the more damage you need sear to be capable of in aoe. The more you force shadow to be a turret caster incredibly punished by movement in single target, because their spells that don't require turreting (Bolt, Dots, Blast with 2 charges) have to do less damage relative to mind flay than they did beforehand.

I'd much rather have seen Sear return in the same capacity as Holy Nova has for Disc. Just a button to clear old content, that's essentially unused in realistic scenarios. Then seen Blizzard iterate on their ST + Aoe filler design from Legion.

Ellipsis...
Make Mind Flay castable while moving. End of turret problem. Not that Blizz would ever do that . . .
07/19/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Annock
By default you have 6 bars to turn on
Where is this 6th bar you speak of? I only count 5, and I don't see any options to turn on more in the Interface options.
So I'll list how I'm key binded right now as an example:
1: SWP.............S+1: Dispel....................C+1: Dispersion
2: MF ...............S+2: Mass Dispel..........C+2: Mindbender
3: MB................S+3: Prolong Pot..........C+3: Dark Asc
4: Void Er .........S+4: Leap......................C+4: VE
5: VT
6: SC/SWD
Q: Psy Screm....S+Q: Dark Void.............C+Q: S Mend
E: Silence..........S+E: Fade......................C+E: PWS
V: Psy Hor
R: Mount.................................................C+R: Healthstone
Mouse 4: Mind Sear

I also have some alt keybinds for less used stuff in combat like purify disease, PWF, MC.

It does look like a lot, but a lot of those spells are situational, and I've worked CE CR as my healthstones/defensives on almost all my toons.

Also theres 10 hotbars, but 6 by default. 7-10 are used for stance changes such as druid shapeshifts. Bartender/Dominos lets you access the other 4 bars.

I will say that I started WoW in TBC, and my first character was a shadow priest. Fast forward to Wrath, I made a bunch of alts. Tried playing Warrior, but it needed macros to do well. Warlocks had a lot of abilities as well that required a ton of bindings. So I stuck to my Spriest as my main. And yes, I still clicked like 3-4 buttons on my interface at the time. I would also scroll my hotbar between Shadow damage bar and a healing bar, which was very bad, but I just didn't know any better.

It took until WoD for me to start using more keybinds, and now I keybind everything I can (except drums, dont want to fat finger that). Blizzard doesn't do a good job directing players how to setup their controls, and its hard to relearn after hundreds of hours.
I don't think too many buttons is necessarily a problem, but having too many choices is. At one point in time we lived in a world where every class was like this, but now that pretty much no class is like this, it feels quite bad to have to deal with it.

I think the spec would be a lot better if it had just 1 or no Dot effects. The rotation feels very nice if you ignore them, which is pretty much what you did on single target in legion.
Stop.
how bout you just key all of you ACT bars... If you don't know how it's fine, you go to key bindings, go to multi action bars and then number those, if you don't have enough things try using shift num, crt num, shift crt num, letters, this should be more then enough to work, i prefer keeping it to num and shift num, doing letters is somewhat hard, but the more you play like that it becomes easier... kinda like HOTS i guess, except way more buttons, and is good for people with keys that don't work.
07/20/2018 10:34 PMPosted by Mjolinr
how bout you just key all of you ACT bars... If you don't know how it's fine, you go to key bindings, go to multi action bars and then number those, if you don't have enough things try using shift num, crt num, shift crt num, letters, this should be more then enough to work, i prefer keeping it to num and shift num, doing letters is somewhat hard, but the more you play like that it becomes easier... kinda like HOTS i guess, except way more buttons, and is good for people with keys that don't work.
I've already done that. I use Alt too, not just Ctrl and Shift. Also, I was able to map all my Shadow Priest keys. I just had to move some things and remove some things from my bar. Health potions are gone now. I moved Tailoring and Engineering profession buttons to other slots that I don't have mapped.

I'm not looking for Shadow Priests to lose functionality with this complaint. I'm just saying some abilities can probably be combined with others, where it makes sense.
simple solution remove 4 fingers from each hand....down to 2 button s
What's sad is these are the kinds of posts blizzard digs up to use as a defense for their bonehead class design.
I wholeheartedly disagree with OP.

Give me MORE abilities if anything.
Unfortunately nobody cares, anymore that is, I've lost hope.

People are still gonna play these brain-dead classes and somehow "enjoy" those classes. If there are still players that enjoy playing with the current class design, blizzard will be encouraged to follow what those players enjoy.

Or in simple terms, blizzard is listening to new players and leaving veterans and pros behind as an afterthought.

You have got to be insane if you think you find these classes enjoyable.

Oh wait, we're still level 110, wait until you hit lvl 115+, that's when the real fun begins! :)
Download the add on Bartender, buy a Naga, problem solved.
07/28/2018 02:40 AMPosted by Beefköw

You have got to be insane if you think you find these classes enjoyable.

I've heard good things from Demo locks, Disc preists, and MW monks.

Not a whole lot of positive feedback from everything else though.
Agreed 1-7 and a few letters and two mouse buttons is all I can manage, have to click everything else and I don’t like having to do that
It's not that hard to learn how to use modifiers.

If you're not willing to put in the effort, then it's only natural that you will fall behind those that do. This is not a fact unique to WoW, this applies to all walks of life.

The unfortunate fact is, the longer you get used to doing things the "wrong" way, in this case "clicking", the harder it will be to break those habits.

The good news is there are plenty of resources out there for people who struggle with keybinding. The best advice I can give is to take it slow. Don't attempt to keybind everything at once, you will overwhelm yourself.

Keybind a little bit at a time. Once you get used to the feel of it, keybind something else. Your muscle memory will adapt.

If you really cannot be bothered, you can opt to play one of the many simplistic specs out there: Arcane, Frost DK, BM, Survival, Arms, to name a few. This game has no shortage of simple specs for those who would rather deal with fewer buttons.
uhhh, I guess he has a point with the mind control shackle thing

but in general I think the class needs MORE buttons, specifically in its combat rotation

I did a couple raids yesterday on my s priest and the single target dps is boiled down to
1. apply dots (can be skipped though these don't actually deal dmg atm)
2. use mind blast on cd
3. mind flay when you cant mind blast or void bolt
4. go into voidform and use voidbolt on cd
5. use mindbender on cd
Repeat

Given that void bolt keeps our dots up you literaly are pressing 3 buttons over and over and over with no procs or thought whatsoever beyond pressing mindbender every minute. (and now im reading lingering insanity, the passive that used to be baseline is better than it.)

Where did surrender to madness go? oh it sucks now and is replaced by a passive
Where did void torrent go? oh it sucks now and gets outclassed by mindbender/LI
What about shadow word death? oh it sucks now and is beat out by SC for aoe or Spirits for single target

Why did all the skills I enjoyed having in legion suddenly go into the talent tree and on top of that why should I be punished for taking them?
What am I missing here? Why do you need keybinds for Tailoring, Engineering, Basic Campfire, etc.? I don't PVP so maybe they're useful in combat there.