Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
1 2 3 19 Next
Continuation of the thread posted under customer support, was suggested to be moved to general:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765896702

In the last 2 months ever since the naming policy on servers was updated, a lot of people on Roleplaying servers have lost names that they've had for several years and held close, 4 people alone in our guild have had to name change. We understand the idea behind asking for the name changes for people who don't follow the RP naming guidelines, but we believe a bit more leniency should be in order to prevent everyone effectively losing the identity they have established on the server over several years.

With RP addons playing a large factor in most constructed RP events, in-game names don't serve as much of a use anymore in establishing a character's RP identity, and with stricter RP addon policy changes coming in BFA, now might be a good time to discuss what the next step forward should be.
If Blizzard wanted people to have their rp names set as their toon names, perhaps they should take notes from Zenimax/Bethesda's ESO and allow spaces in names. It's impossible to get a good name on WoW because they're all taken. ESO doesn't have that problem.
Oh boy, we're still at it.

Use common sense. If you gotta take a second to ban the name of that frost mage named 'Tidalwave' because it rustles your jimmies that much, take a second to realize how petty you're really being. It's not offending anybody, and it's hardly affecting immersion. You can be serious and say a majority of the RPers on the server have MRP, XRP, TRP3, etc. The name everyone see's is the one on the profile.

Though ban the names actually worthy of banning. 'Bluewaffle', 'Tubgirl', 'Pinkflaps', stupid stuff like that. It has -reason- to be banned. Just think before you report, use some common sense. Argue the policy says this or that, policys are subject to change like everything else. There is room for improvement and refinement.
And since the last thread got hijacked from the topic a bit, I wanted to add in my two cents. The original purpose was to ask for clarification about what names might be safe or unsafe by the current guidelines and, as it has been pointed out by a few people, some parts of the currently policy seem to be deliberately vague to prevent "rule lawyering" I think someone called it, whatever that means. I find it hard to think intentional vagueness in any sort of policy or rule set should be viewed as a good thing.

Like Alshor said, there have also been multiple people in our community who were flagged for a rename in a short period of time, which was alarming enough for some to wonder if a person or persons were deliberately reporting people with the guild name "Pact." I don't think this is meant as an accusation, as there's no way to know who should be accused even if it were. More like a plea to GMs who might notice such a pattern to take that into account.

I'm not sure why some people seemed threatened by questioning of the rp naming policy, but it seems like they are. If this somehow lead to the requirements for RP server names being relaxed in some way, what exactly are you afraid will happen?
The strange timing of the people being flagged for renames was alarming enough, but that's not even mentioning that one person ended up being suspended - over a name he's had for years.

While names like "Hahapwndu" should still be against the rules, I feel like we could be a lot less strict on names. I'd hate to lose my name that I've had since 2005 because someone decides to report me and people think I'm copying from Dark Souls or whatever.

There could definitely be some more leniency with names. especially in light of RP addons.

To add on (hahahahaha) to one of the points brought up previously - most of the people who care about RP in the slightest seem to have an addon of some sort. I'm actually more surprised if I find a player without one who's a decently high level, that's how common it is.
07/10/2018 07:35 PMPosted by Alshor
Continuation of the thread posted under customer support, was suggested to be moved to general:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765896702

In the last 2 months ever since the naming policy on servers was updated, a lot of people on Roleplaying servers have lost names that they've had for several years and held close, 4 people alone in our guild have had to name change. We understand the idea behind asking for the name changes for people who don't follow the RP naming guidelines, but we believe a bit more leniency should be in order to prevent everyone effectively losing the identity they have established on the server over several years.

With RP addons playing a large factor in most constructed RP events, in-game names don't serve as much of a use anymore in establishing a character's identity, and with stricter RP addon policy changes coming in BFA, now might be a good time to discuss what the next step forward should be.

There is a guild on Moonguard that formed for the sole purpose of going around to report names and that's what is happening.

There was a demon panda who made a thread on here about what they were doing and this names breaking immersion excuse is silly because people run around in the strangest of transmog which is far more immersion breaking as far as I can see than a name.
Most people know my stance but it's worth posting again there should be no leniancy ever. get an rp name or get off the rp server. If you arnt going to rp there are plenty other servers to choose from.
but we believe a bit more leniency should be in order to prevent everyone effectively losing the identity they have established on the server over several years.

Then they shouldn't have chosen names that violated the rules.

With RP addons playing a large factor in most constructed RP events, in-game names don't serve as much of a use anymore in establishing a character's identity

Also, I like how you immediately go from "effectively losing the identity they have established" to "in-game names don't serve as much use anymore in establishing a character's identity". You can't have it both ways. Either they're losing their identity, which is tough luck for violating the rules in the first place, or they're using addons so it doesn't matter what their character name actually is.
07/10/2018 07:45 PMPosted by Amine
There was a demon panda who made a thread on here about what they were doing and this names breaking immersion excuse is silly because people run around in the strangest of transmog which is far more immersion breaking as far as I can see than a name.

This ^^^ All of this. But yes, a continuation of the last post. "RP" Name is such a vague term, so no one knows what's really right or wrong. And perhaps it is time that it be made more lenient.
07/10/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Rankin
but we believe a bit more leniency should be in order to prevent everyone effectively losing the identity they have established on the server over several years.

With RP addons playing a large factor in most constructed RP events, in-game names don't serve as much of a use anymore in establishing a character's identity

Also, I like how you immediately go from "effectively losing the identity they have established" to "in-game names don't serve as much use anymore in establishing a character's identity". You can't have it both ways. Either they're losing their identity, which is tough luck for violating the rules in the first place, or they're using addons so it doesn't matter what their character name actually is.

There are people on RP servers who don't RP 24/7 and have a name they stick to while out of character to be easily identified. Losing that name is significantly more damaging to a player's identity than losing their RP name if they were to somehow lose it, since most people interact more out of character than in character.
There is a guild on Moonguard that formed for the sole purpose of going around to report names and that's what is happening.

Fake news. While that is me and I do spend hours reports name some days, I do not have a legion of followers or guild members do the same. please don't spread false information. Other guilds may choose to do this but not my guild.
Some of the names that have been flagged have been people's names for years. A name they have grown attached to. Perhaps grandfathering already created characters in would be a plausible solution to the issues that have arisen with the recent policy change.

Leniency is what we ask, that's all. Names that would be flagged on others servers should still be flagged, like anything that is inappropriate. That's obvious. Names that count as an out of character name, or in game name, that someone has had an attachment to for years should not apply to the change in policy.

Or, they could be legitimately rping as that name, and it might not fall under conventional roleplay standards. They are welcome to roleplay what they want. Their $15, right? It should be more important to facilitate roleplay than police the names they choose.
I believe there was a suggestion that perhaps it would be better if a name had to be reported x amount of times before it got put on a list to be checked out by a GM? I think that would maybe be a good middle ground, although I would agree that there seem to be a strange increase to people being flagged for names.

Would my name, as Fernfeather, if flagged need to be changed because it is a compound word? Although the support person on the previous thread said that it likely would not be, because it supposedly falls within theme, I do know several other Night Elves with names such as "Moonlance" or "Dewstorm" (not actual names, just examples of similar names), that have been reported and forced to change. It seems quite odd.

Even names that were randomized in the in-game randomizer have gotten people flagged or even suspended! Why would a name generated by the game itself violate it's very own policy?

Although I understand the want for a vague, generic policy so that people can't try to "lawyer" themselves, it can be rather upsetting for those of us who believe that we are following the guidelines set out while still holding to a certain level of RP standard--only to be told no, by random GM at any given time.

I would support a change of policies for RP communities/servers.
It should be noted that just because a policy exists does not mean it cannot be changed from feedback. Blizzard has been responding well to RP feedback recently. Notable examples is the CRZ rules being adjusted for RP realms in due large part to the annual Tournament of Ages event on Moon Guard last year. As well as working in advance like adjusting the rules for War mode in 8.0 for RP servers.

In this case, I feel the RP Naming policy is a detriment and overly restrictive. I would advocate for RP servers just falling under the naming policy that applies to normal realms. Role playing addons have been widely used for over a decade on RP servers. Many RP guilds even require them. That is where one puts their desired name for role play. People with a name that would violate the naming policy do actually use proper roleplaying names in their profiles.

Even if one did not use an RP addon, player names should not be considered immersion breaking since that is a gameplay element that is not part of being in-character. When you role play with someone you cannot know the name floating above the players head, you have to formally introduce yourselves through role playing. Otherwise that is considered meta-gaming when your characters has knowledge it cannot know unless it was through role play.
07/10/2018 07:51 PMPosted by Tuiie

Fake news. While that is me and I do spend hours reports name some days, I do not have a legion of followers or guild members do the same. please don't spread false information. Other guilds may choose to do this but not my guild.

Are you a demon panda ? There is a guild on Moonguard that formed solely for that purpose. I saw them advertise on trade chat as well about what they were doing.

I don't see a problem with having it both ways tbh. For example, for the longest time I use to use names or tags across all types of gaming media I indulged in that focused on the word "ghost." Ghostess, Geist, etc. This wouldn't be the name I chose for rp, but it or something like it would be an easy flag for friends of mine to go "oh hey I know who this is." I don't think, from what's been discussed in the old thread anyway, that they'd violate the naming policy either. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.
Frankly, I was amazed that one of the arguments for a harsh approach was that there is some nebulous group of RPers that do not use an RP addon in any way, shape, or form. As someone who has RPed on both Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Accord extensively, seeing someone in a public RP situation where they don't at least have a blank profile is like seeing a unicorn.
I know tons of people that are named simple things, like "Why", "Boy". Even I have the name "Lifeguard". All of these are serious RP characters, and nobody should have a problem with them, yet the naming policy dictates that they can't use those names.

Why does the policy exist? Names shouldn't even matter. You don't learn a person's name in-character by reading what they have above their head. You learn what their name is and who they are by talking to them!

What about people who want to just play like they're a robot servant? They can't be named Technotron? We all know what stupid things gnomes can make.
07/10/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Rankin

In-game names don't have to have anything to do with your character ICly - my name is one I've had since 2005, long before I ever thought of joining an RP server. I later transferred here to MG, and created an RP name for myself that's completely separate (which is what Alshor means by in-game names don't establish a character's identity as much).

We're kind of going backwards with this statement, aren't we? "then they shouldn't have violated the rules".. but.. this thread is about those rules, and the reasons *why* they could be more lenient.
07/10/2018 07:56 PMPosted by Solaui

I don't see a problem with having it both ways tbh. For example, for the longest time I use to use names or tags across all types of gaming media I indulged in that focused on the word "ghost." Ghostess, Geist, etc. This wouldn't be the name I chose for rp, but it or something like it would be an easy flag for friends of mine to go "oh hey I know who this is." I don't think, from what's been discussed in the old thread anyway, that they'd violate the naming policy either. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Back a few years ago, although my RP name was Leilla Fernfeather (as per my add on), my in game name was Hazel--and most people around me would call me Hazel OOCly. It was part of my identity, to be Hazel. :D It was only a few years later when I had transition to a new group of people who referred to me by a different name, or my character's last name, that I made the decision to name change to Fernfeather.

I can't imagine having it ripped away from me, because someone with no life and probably some issues decided to be petty and reported it.

Although there is a certain disconnect between IC and OOC names, that doesn't make either less important than the other. :)