Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 19 Next
07/11/2018 02:35 PMPosted by Rainfish
The problem is names like mine that someone with a grudge could report. But I'd like to think it makes sense for a Tauren/HM Tauren to name themselves that.

your name is iffy. someone could definitely report it. though if it were me as the gm i'd leave it alone.
07/11/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Amine

You seriously think people are reporting most of these names because they are 'offended'.

someone named "arrowsorrow" is debatable. but if your name is "bubbleboy" and you're a pally then yeah you should be reported.

Why should they be reported - are those names offensive to you ? I don't get how those names are harming people.
07/11/2018 02:22 PMPosted by Dimpishly
07/11/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Amine
You seriously think people are reporting most of these names because they are 'offended'.
I'm not offended by immersion breaking names... I just value my immersion. And... I report those names.

How does a name break your immersion this is a serious question ? Isn't immersion a state where you don't pay attention to things around you ?

someone named "arrowsorrow" is debatable. but if your name is "bubbleboy" and you're a pally then yeah you should be reported.

Why should they be reported - are those names offensive to you ? I don't get how those names are harming people.

It doesn't matter if you get it or not, this isn't a complex issue.

Blizzard has rules laid out for RP servers, if one doesn't like those rules then there are tons of non-RP servers without a set of special rules they one would be more than welcome to play on.
07/11/2018 02:44 PMPosted by Isthranstaul

It doesn't matter if you get it or not, this isn't a complex issue.

Blizzard has rules laid out for RP servers, if one doesn't like those rules then there are tons of non-RP servers without a set of special rules they one would be more than welcome to play on.

I didn't ask you. As far as I can see you are just trolling and derailing this thread - so shoo, go away, begone.
People who report names are sad people. If someone is named something you don't deem RP worthy, simply don't RP with them?
The problem is names like mine that someone with a grudge could report. But I'd like to think it makes sense for a Tauren/HM Tauren to name themselves that.

What's your backstory?

RP is about the total character. You know all about them. Their history. How they fit into the game. I've seen instances where someone with a name in the grey area able to argue for their name successfully. Because of their backstory.

Honestly, I don't see an issue with the RP naming rules. They're there for a reason. To provide a framework for people to RP under. The question for people is if they're running afoul of those rules due to something they want to RP or if they're running afoul of them simply because they've ignored them to start out with and possibly aren't into the whole RP thing. (I'm not into the whole RP thing, but that's me--other people have different things they want to do with the game. All good.)
07/11/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Valarien
People who report names are sad people. If someone is named something you don't deem RP worthy, simply don't RP with them?

People who violate the rules and then try to shame people who do follow the rules are sad people. And if someone doesn't want to follow RP naming conventions, then don't roll on an RP server.
What many of you here don t realize is that a lot of name change requests are forced on by trolls who like the grief people because they get off on it

I know one guy who I have now blocked who asked me if the reports that he was doing on my toons worked. He blatantly told me he was reporting me because he didn t like the names and wanted to know if his army of multiboxers on different account managed to trigger the forced rename and ban.

The naming policy is being abused and has been for years and Blizzard can t do much because it would mean wasting resources.

EVERY name could be reported because someone has a problem with it in one way or another. As long as people get off in griefing others this will continue.

A solution would be to be able to appeal. At the moment you get an email and thats it. What should happen is that a GM should review the issue and then TALK TO YOU in game and see if you can support the name choice. Some names like Critoris are obvious red flags made in jest...but many names arent. Take a name made of two words common in WOW. You can get a 3 day ban for these if enough alts report the name on different accounts.

You see the same thing happening on youtube where people who are against the content of a video will DMCA or flag it just to have it removed because it hurt their feelings leaving the person with having to fight an uphill battle to lose a strike and re-enable the video

Most name reports I guess are probably valid but never forget that a lot of players get off on reporting others because they probably don t have a lot to look forward in their own lives and this makes them feel good
07/11/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Incensio
What many of you here don t realize is that a lot of name change requests are forced on by trolls who like the grief people because they get off on it

I am almost sure over 90% of the reporting is done by trolls. I am trying to even understand why the other 10% are bothered by this but they don't seem to want to explain why names would offend them or break their immersion.

I don't role play but I almost never notice other players names in the game - sure on chat channels but walking by nope. I am always too busy concentrating on what I am doing.
07/11/2018 03:54 AMPosted by Amine
How does it ruin your immersion. What happens when you see impossible transmogs for your role playing scenerio ?

My immersion is ruined because when I see name violations, I'm thinking about the name, not the game. The rules are to prevent this. There are no impossible transmogs, everything we can do is allowed, whether or not you like it.

Also, you were the one who claimed talking politics is against the rules on RP servers.

It was. This thread lists what used to be the RP realms rules. I'm working on what I learned in TBC. If it's changed, Blizz hasn't said so, but they don't list the rules anymore. News to me.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/11181168289
07/11/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Rankin
People who violate the rules and then try to shame people who do follow the rules are sad people. And if someone doesn't want to follow RP naming conventions, then don't roll on an RP server.

Or you could mind your own business? They aren't hurting anyone by existing.

Do you call the police when someone goes 31 mph when the speed limit is 30?

Most name reports I guess are probably valid but never forget that a lot of players get off on reporting others because they probably don t have a lot to look forward in their own lives and this makes them feel good

Basically. Sad, miserable people.
07/11/2018 03:18 PMPosted by Jamalia
How does it ruin your immersion. What happens when you see impossible transmogs for your role playing scenerio ?

My immersion is ruined because when I see name violations, I'm thinking about the name, not the game. The rules are to prevent this. There are no impossible transmogs, everything we can do is allowed, whether or not you like it.

Also, you were the one who claimed talking politics is against the rules on RP servers.

It was. This thread lists what used to be the RP realms rules. I'm working on what I learned in TBC. If it's changed, Blizz hasn't said so, but they don't list the rules anymore. News to me.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/11181168289

It says right there that is some old policy that didn't even exist anymore in 2014. First sentence.

As I was typing a guide to newcomers on roleplaying realms, I realised that the following does no exist on RP realm policies anymore.

honestly i report all the time when people are saying vulgar stuff in trade. but that's more for them breaking rules than for me reporting their names. the thing about it though is if you don't report it someone could name themselves f-buddy. and they could run around with it. imagine some 12 year old kid playing his baby hunter sees that.
Does this only apply to RP servers lmao? I’ve seen nicki minaj, shawnmendes, etc etc and I like those names they make me smile, my own name is a nicki minaj lyric homage I just assumed as long as something wasn’t inappropriate then you’re fine lol
You guys screamed at Blizzard for years to enforce the naming rules, and now when they do, you all have a fit...can't win for losing.
07/11/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Keytothebenz
Does this only apply to RP servers lmao? I’ve seen nicki minaj, shawnmendes, etc etc and I like those names they make me smile, my own name is a nicki minaj lyric homage I just assumed as long as something wasn’t inappropriate then you’re fine lol

your name is a sentence so if someone wanted to they could report you.

if your name was raindancer or something it would probably be fine though.
07/11/2018 02:43 PMPosted by Amine
How does a name break your immersion this is a serious question ? Isn't immersion a state where you don't pay attention to things around you ?
No. Immersion is like, you "feel you are in the world of warcraft." Why am I not paying attention to the world around me? If anything, the reverse is true; if you are immersed in the game, you are more aware of the (game) world around you.

So, when I'm here to play in the world of Arthas, to Shaman like Thrall, to Paladin like Uther, to Rogue like Garonna, to Mage like Jaina.... to... to... I'm sorry, wtf are you???

"yeah, I'm uh, Twentytwink? It's not accurate anymore because I got bored of twinking... but, I can hit 600K DPS and not stand in the fire. I promise I don't mouth-breathe on Discord, to."

...well, good for Twentytwink (not a real person), but that's also where my immersion chugs a gallon of bleach.

Unless you are specifically RPing with the person with the name violation, I don't see how it could distract you that badly.

Apologies but you sound incredibly selfish, "MY immersion" you are the center of the universe it seems?
07/11/2018 02:40 PMPosted by Meccah

your name is iffy. someone could definitely report it. though if it were me as the gm i'd leave it alone.

Their name being iffy is the reasoning behind this post in the first place. No one's advocating for rules to be relaxed to the point where "Dhwarxdlol" is acceptable.

The naming policy is being abused and has been for years and Blizzard can t do much because it would mean wasting resources.

The simple fact that players can use the report name feature as a weapon is ridiculous, and is also why this thread exists.