Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 19 Next
I have read here there is a way to self report your names asking if they are ok I happen to be on Moon Guard and do not nor ever will RP I just like the community and have never ever gone near any RPer's I stay by myself all the time.

I just want to be sure my main here and many alts are safe to keep their names and thank you.
07/11/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Teiah
07/11/2018 04:19 PMPosted by Amine
I have never had a problem with a character name and most of my character's on RP servers have made up names, with made up words. The only thing I do extra is google the word/name just in case.I don't have a problem - it doesn't mean I think what is going on it right though.

I think it serves to say it could be a bigger issue on the larger RP Servers where RP is often taken far more seriously than lets say your server or even my own.

We're kind of small fries in the scope of the RP community here in WoW.

This is the only character I have on a small RP realm, all my other characters are on Moonguard and they are the ones with made up names. This characters name is game generated. I suspect is it harder for blizzard to determine if a name violates the rules if there is really no such name or word and the same goes for the name police.
07/11/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Legionkiller
I have read here there is a way to self report your names asking if they are ok I happen to be on Moon Guard and do not nor ever will RP I just like the community and have never ever gone near any RPer's I stay by myself all the time.

I just want to be sure my main here and many alts are safe to keep their names and thank you.

You can send in a ticket requesting your names be reviewed
07/11/2018 04:43 PMPosted by Firekeeper
07/11/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Legionkiller

You can send in a ticket requesting your names be reviewed

Thank you
It's really depressing how people just assume the context of this situation and try to pass us off as whiners. More than that I'm sure Blizzard is very capable of addressing it on their own but it's like certain parties want to make sure it doesn't get that far.

--None of the people criticizing us for asking about lenience or clarification on the policy know what names got flagged. They're happy to assume they were something very unfitting and we have no place to complain.

--The appeal process is brought up a lot, but Snuffly gave an example of how it's failed someone in our guild already. They appealed a flag, it was granted. Then someone just kept reporting them and they were flagged again. The GM's very clearly have differing opinions despite the rules and guidelines they all follow. And while it might only take one report, spamming reports gets them more attention, I guarantee it.

--There's a lot of assuming and not enough reading going on here. I've seen some people complain about this post being in general: this is where Alshor was told to post about it.

Someone said a while back that Blizzard can't seem to win, quoting the whole project 60 debacle. Boy that is a leap of logic, comparing people asking for leniency on names they felt were unfairly struck from them to twitch streamers with large followings disrupting an entire server. I can't wait for someone's argument against this post to be "move to a PvE server if you have a problem with it" completely dodging the point of this thread for the umpteenth time.
Ok, just for discussion sake. I understand people are asking for leniency for names on RP realms. What form of leniency are you asking for though?

The RP naming rules seem pretty straightforward. People have pointed out that "Arthasdkxxx" should obviously not be allowed. Where are you drawing the line on naming then?

If Blizzard is to take feedback on what is purported to be happening, how do they know what you're asking for? Are you asking to move the naming policy to be the same as other realm types? So far I haven't seen any concrete proposal on what exactly needs to change or why.
Codyy would be a good example I think. It's just one additional letter. If you show me a person who tells me that's what's disrupting their immersion when people naked/in !@#$ mog are jumping around the town yelling racial slurs, I'll show you a petty liar.
07/11/2018 04:51 PMPosted by Solaui
And while it might only take one report, spamming reports gets them more attention, I guarantee it.

This is true. However a lot of the rest of the post is overgeneralizing. You can't speak for everyone in the thread. You've certainly mis-characterized my overall feelings with the situation.

People have asked what the new line in the sand should be. Personally, I think the framework as it stands has a purpose. And it's one that shouldn't be discarded lightly if at all. Because there's no concrete reason for doing it other than "hey, wait, I want a name that doesn't fit." Without trying to redefine the goalpost.
07/11/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Solaui
Codyy would be a good example I think. It's just one additional letter. If you show me a person who tells me that's what's disrupting their immersion when people naked/in !@#$ mog are jumping around the town yelling racial slurs, I'll show you a petty liar.

I really can't believe they didn't allow Codyy - that really makes no sense. If they don't allow that, they shouldn't be allowing those unpronounceable names using special characters.
07/11/2018 05:08 PMPosted by Crepe
And while it might only take one report, spamming reports gets them more attention, I guarantee it.

This is true. However a lot of the rest of the post is overgeneralizing. You can't speak for everyone in the thread. You've certainly mis-characterized my overall feelings with the situation.

People have asked what the new line in the sand should be. Personally, I think the framework as it stands has a purpose. And it's one that shouldn't be discarded lightly if at all. Because there's no concrete reason for doing it other than "hey, wait, I want a name that doesn't fit." Without trying to redefine the goalpost.

I never said I was speaking for every person who argued against this thread. Kheradin here for example has been pretty level-headed in all his posts that I've seen. And where am I generalizing other than that? The example of the appeal process failing? I don't think any of us are arguing there shouldn't be guidelines. But the small page that contains the policy is very vague on a lot of points, and that "grey area" leads to the appeal merry-go-round mentioned above. Apparently it doesn't matter if your appeal works because if there are people determined to keep reporting you eventually a GM will flag it regardless.
It's really depressing how people just assume the context of this situation and try to pass us off as whiners. More than that I'm sure Blizzard is very capable of addressing it on their own but it's like certain parties want to make sure it doesn't get that far.
Well... if we take in good faith what GD is for, posters propose ideas, and there is a reply function so that we can debate the merits of this idea. As soon as an idea is proposed it (theoretically) gets on Blizzard's radar. As far as your specific idea though, if anything I would prefer to see naming conventions on RP servers more strictly enforced. So, I'm gonna post that on your thread.

...as for the rest, we regularly get people crying about entirely justified name changes in General and in CSM. Since I don't think it's hard to either make up appropriate names, or to roll on a PvE server instead, my sympathy tends to be low. All the same, I hope I haven't given you the impression I think you're whiners. I just reject the proposal you're arguing for. Huge difference there.

07/11/2018 05:07 PMPosted by Solaui
Two entirely different issues. I'm gonna report the griefers, for sure. I think only a real dink would have reported Codyy... I mean, obviously the guy wanted to be Cody, and decided that an extra "y" was a reasonable way to get there... and I don't disagree.
07/11/2018 03:32 PMPosted by Dimpishly
07/11/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Keytothebenz
Does this only apply to RP servers lmao?
This seems unclear. Names which are phrases are specifically prohibited under the "additional rules" for RP servers. I've also heard that this isn't allowed on any realm... but that seems odd to me, because (again) it's under additional rules for RP servers.

...if you did happen to get busted, I'd change it to Keybenz, because it would be impossible to differentiate that from a name that has two syllables.

07/11/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Keytothebenz
I’ve seen nicki minaj, shawnmendes, etc etc and I like those names they make me smile
Now, these would be names which are reportable/actionable on ANY server, because they're celebrities.
I actually do really thank you for your clarity because I'm still thinking about this honestly in a confused way not like a first date idk what to do confused but like "okay 2012.... so is the world ending or not I'm getting ANXIETY" However I knew I wasn't crazy about the celeb names I know of many on my PVE realm and a simple search of "Nicki minaj" yields 65+ character results of "Nickiminaj" so I def feel like for anyone else like me our PVE realms are not subject to the rule guidelines of RP realms (in my case I do have a long name but at WORST you'd could call it incoherent or an incomplete sentence, but its def not as bold and brazen as names I've seen like "Bigdaddypops" or celeb names I do hope this gets sorted out I also wish I never saw this post because after being 99% sure it wasn't about me or my realm all it added was stress.

I also like the name Keybenz I may name an alt that!

EDIT: ALSO I faction changed Key here briefly to Horde to do Nightborne/HM reqs and to see if I wanted to be Horde... I changed back but I had the best experience with CS dealing with my "Ren'dorei Tabard" being turned into a "guild tabard" and the restoration item service wasn't recognizing that I had that tabard and there was so no way to restore it, my item was restored and I was beyond happy, but he wasn't like "oh yeah btw about your name..."
Posted by Solaui

Two entirely different issues. I'm gonna report the griefers, for sure. I think only a real dink would have reported Codyy... I mean, obviously the guy wanted to be Cody, and decided that an extra "y" was a reasonable way to get there... and I don't disagree.

It's an example of how absurd some of these flags were. You have the mental wherewithal to tune out OOC people being disruptive (perhaps intentionally), but you can't let a dangling y on the end of a nameplate (nameplates that can be toggled off, I remind you) go? Either the person who reported Codyy did so with malicious intent, or this is some impressive cognitive dissonance.

EDIT: And as a follow up, the vagueness of the current policy, the fact that a new GM can re-flag a name even after it's won an appeal, allows that type of malicious intent to flourish. That alone I think makes the wording of the current policy worth an examination.
It's really depressing how people just assume the context of this situation and try to pass us off as whiners.

That's exactly what you are doing. You guys even posted on the MG forum claiming people are targeting your guild and reporting names, a few players having name changes is hardly harassment. Why is following rules such a hard thing to do?

*Don't rob bank and you won't go to federal prison for bank robbery.
    *Don't steal cars and you won't go to prison for stealing cars.
    *Don't speed when you are driving and you won't get a speeding ticket.
    *Don't break the naming rules on RP servers and you won't get forced name changes.
07/11/2018 06:43 PMPosted by Isthranstaul
It's really depressing how people just assume the context of this situation and try to pass us off as whiners.

That's exactly what you are doing. You guys even posted on the MG forum claiming people are targeting your guild and reporting names, a few players having name changes is hardly harassment. Why is following rules such a hard thing to do?

*Don't rob bank and you won't go to federal prison for bank robbery.
    *Don't steal cars and you won't go to prison for stealing cars.
    *Don't speed when you are driving and you won't get a speeding ticket.
    *Don't break the naming rules on RP servers and you won't get forced name changes.

Exhibit A.
Honestly, I think it is fine how it is. You're on an RP realms, and with that, comes different rules than your average realms. If you can't handle those rules, then you shouldn't be there in the first place.

We all know the rules, we all agree to them when we play WoW. If someone is breaking those rules, we have the right to report them for doing so. You join an RP realm knowing full well that there is a naming policy in place that differs from other realms. If you choose to break those rules and use a name that is clearly not an RP name, then you face the consequences. Simple as that.
07/11/2018 06:56 PMPosted by Zaphorite
Honestly, I think it is fine how it is. You're on an RP realms, and with that, comes different rules than your average realms. If you can't handle those rules, then you shouldn't be there in the first place.

We all know the rules, we all agree to them when we play WoW. If someone is breaking those rules, we have the right to report them for doing so. You join an RP realm knowing full well that there is a naming policy in place that differs from other realms. If you choose to break those rules and use a name that is clearly not an RP name, then you face the consequences. Simple as that.

What about when someone appeals a name change flag, and the GM agrees? Then they get reported again, suggesting someone is doing it intentionally, and a different GM flags the name again? Who is right?

That's what we have an issue with, not the existence of the policy.
07/11/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Solaui
Posted by Solaui

It's an example of how absurd some of these flags were. You have the mental wherewithal to tune out OOC people being disruptive (perhaps intentionally), but you can't let a dangling y on the end of a nameplate (nameplates that can be toggled off, I remind you) go? Either the person who reported Codyy did so with malicious intent, or this is some impressive cognitive dissonance.

EDIT: And as a follow up, the vagueness of the current policy, the fact that a new GM can re-flag a name even after it's won an appeal, allows that type of malicious intent to flourish. That alone I think makes the wording of the current policy worth an examination.

Personally, I can't see how that example violates the current guidelines. It would appear to be a breakdown in how the guidelines were interpreted by the GM. Unfortunately, I don't believe we have the direct GM feedback email anymore as everything is done in the post-ticket surveys. The best option left is to appeal yet again and spell everything out so hopefully the GM adds a note about the previous appeal.

The best defense otherwise is to continue using RP appropriate names. If the player continues to be specifically targeted, add that information in any appeals as that would establish a pattern and could get the reporter in trouble for false reporting which is actionable.
If Blizzard increased name length, allowed the use of spaces, or made last names a thing, maybe it wouldn't be a huge issue. More or less every normal name is taken already. Now I just find a list of NPCs of <insert race> and go down from there. Most of those are taken as well. Also the random names are all taken.
07/11/2018 07:01 PMPosted by Solaui
What about when someone appeals a name change flag, and the GM agrees? Then they get reported again, suggesting someone is doing it intentionally, and a different GM flags the name again? Who is right?

That's what we have an issue with, not the existence of the policy.

Then the GM should be looking into who is reporting your names. If the GM finds your name to be in compliance with the RP naming policy, then obviously it's fine. But if your name keeps getting reported over and over again, and it's the same name, then said GM needs to start focusing on who is reporting it.

No reason to change the rules over that, as that is a player issue that a GM needs to intervene on. Has nothing to do with the rules (seeing as the GM said your name was fine). GM needs to find out if it is indeed harassment from a single group/player, or if it is different players each time.

See the problem there isn't your name, or rules, it is false reports. Which a GM needs to do something about. Cause changing the rules won't fix any of that.