Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 Next
Until the all the names of NPC's on an RP server are changed to match the naming policy, no action should be taken by Blizzard against players who choose names similar in style. You want your cake Blizzard ($s from an RP community), now eat it.
You are all still argueing the wrong issue

The naminreport function is abused by trolls and griefers under the excuse that it is for rp naming rules

It clearly isn t in all cases and the problem of trolls reporting is still there. You know how it works? They add you as friend then report you even when you change your orignal name. Then they check to see if they can find your alts and then report them as well

This has nothing to do with rp naming rules but only with unwanted bahivor that the current system condones
07/11/2018 07:08 PMPosted by Chievavore
Until the all the names of NPC's on an RP server are changed to match the naming policy, no action should be taken by Blizzard against players who choose names similar in style. You want your cake Blizzard ($s from an RP community), now eat it.

This

Blizzard npc names don t even follow their own rules
Bronzebeard or megatorke are examples of names npc have that if a player has a similar composition of two words they get reported for the lolz of griefing and knowing they annoy the player
Or you could mind your own business? They aren't hurting anyone by existing.

Or you could follow the same rules that everyone else agreed to follow. You're acting like you need to violate the rules in order to play the game.

07/11/2018 03:23 PMPosted by Keytothebenz
Does this only apply to RP servers lmao? I’ve seen nicki minaj, shawnmendes, etc etc and I like those names they make me smile, my own name is a nicki minaj lyric homage I just assumed as long as something wasn’t inappropriate then you’re fine lol

The naming rules are applied more strictly on RP servers as requested by many players from RP servers.
07/11/2018 07:01 PMPosted by Solaui
What about when someone appeals a name change flag, and the GM agrees? Then they get reported again, suggesting someone is doing it intentionally, and a different GM flags the name again? Who is right?
I'd like to think that if a player's name has already been flagged it would generate notes for future GMs to see (I did CSM work, and calls generated notes, and if the customer called again, we had those notes to work from... but who knows if WoW GMs have notes). But the thing is here, players who create reports don't get any feedback.

So... the reporting player gets no feedback. The reported player has been contacted by a GM, and has successfully argued their name is RP appropriate, and goes about their business. The reporting player again, sees someone that they feel has an inappropriate name, so they file another report. They don't know that their report has been ruled against.

...and, there are totally people who will /friend people they report, because they want to track whether their report is successful. Still, they have no way of knowing if it is or isn't.

07/11/2018 07:26 PMPosted by Incensio
This has nothing to do with rp naming rules but only with unwanted bahivor that the current system condones
I really don't care. This is 100% not my problem. This will ONLY EVER affect people who chose to roll on an RP server with a name that isn't appropriate. Why the person was targeted doesn't matter, what matters is whether their name is appropriate or not.

The naminreport function is abused by trolls and griefers under the excuse that it is for rp naming rules

It clearly isn t in all cases and the problem of trolls reporting is still there. You know how it works? They add you as friend then report you even when you change your orignal name. Then they check to see if they can find your alts and then report them as well

This isn't even slightly true.

If a name doesn't break the rules then it doesn't get changed. If a person gives too many false reports then that person gets in trouble. Stop making stuff up.
07/10/2018 09:28 PMPosted by Tammya
07/10/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Wolftrakker
For those who keep saying "I don't see the problem".. The problem is simple. Blizz established rules for rp servers that are not the same for regular servers. You agree to the TOS for an RP realm when you joined. You violate the rules, and get reported, that is no one else's problem, nor are others to blame when Blizzard repeatedly says.. report these things to help maintain the order of the server and RP rules. The problem is, there are rules you agreed to, you get reported, too bad it's all on you for violating TOS rules for an rp realm.

Your name violates the naming policy. That's what is being complained about, the policy.
Actually it doesn't .It's one word and does not violate the TOS at all. Her name is Anya, Wolftrakker is her last name and has been since WOTLK and when asked directly to a gm before I rolled her name was told it's not a violation and perfectly fine.
07/11/2018 07:42 PMPosted by Isthranstaul

This isn't even slightly true.

If a name doesn't break the rules then it doesn't get changed. If a person gives too many false reports then that person gets in trouble. Stop making stuff up.

We've made multiple mentions of an example where this very thing happened, in a short period of time.

So I'd say it's more than slightly true.
07/11/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Wolftrakker
Actually it doesn't .It's one word and does not violate the TOS at all. Her name is Anya, Wolftrakker is her last name and has been since WOTLK and when asked directly to a gm before I rolled her name was told it's not a violation and perfectly fine.
They tried using the same argument with me and my name. I wouldn't worry about it. Typical RP snobbery
07/10/2018 09:42 PMPosted by Tammya
07/10/2018 09:38 PMPosted by Dimpishly
The only place I'm in agreement is that the official naming policy should specifically spell out that compound names which are RP appropriate are fine.

It was posted earlier in the thread, but Vrakthis the Blue CSM has specifically said that a name like Wolftrakker would be entirely fine.

He said "Paladinboy" was off limits. I think Wolftrakker is probably off limits.

Because my name is a surname.. wolftrakker, not Wolftracker, it is fine, and I asked years ago during Wrath, in a ticket if it was ok and got two thumbs up before going on an rp realm.. so No, stop making assumptions to argue your point.
07/11/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Incensio

This

Bronzebeard or megatorke are examples of names npc have that if a player has a similar composition of two words they get reported for the lolz of griefing and knowing they annoy the player

Actually no. Compound names are allowed if they fit within the Warcraft fantasy genre. So, Bronzebeard, Stonehammer, Winterhoof all make sense. What's disallowed is nonsensical compound names such as "Ilikecake."
07/11/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Incensio

This

Actually those are surnames, and are not references to other things So they do not violate the rules.. It's not Bubbleboy, Kissmybooty or Warriorguy. Those violate the rules. maybe you should actually read them before making such statements.
Do I get a free name change if all the RP babies report me?
07/11/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Solidsnack
yup. You can even self report your name without penalty too.
07/11/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Stonebeard
yup.

Yo can I get some of them reports...
07/11/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Stonebeard
07/11/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Wolftrakker
They tried using the same argument with me and my name. I wouldn't worry about it. Typical RP snobbery
actually it's not RP snobbery, its lack of knowledge of the actual TOS, and non RP'r snobbery.

Yep. You also get a strike on your account. You should try to roll on a non-RP server next time, why play on ED?
A lot of the recent posts on this page? When I spoke about people who didn't care about the context of this thread, this is exactly what I meant. Looking for ways to twist the points we're trying to make into something they're not.

Stonebeard, I don't know where someone said anything against your name, but if you do I wouldn't mine seeing it. And I'm willing to bet the situation was someone trying to make an example of how it didn't make sense to not criticize your name while it was acceptable for another--to show how easy it is to decide that a name is "improper" and justify a report for it. And because the policy is written to be intentionally vague, there's no way to say for sure. I think that's a problem in of itself, and like with our example involving someone using the appeal process only for it to not matter, leaves a loophole for abuse.

The reason for the report is immaterial. If the report is submitted and the name is found to be in violation then yes they need to have it changed. Everyone who plays the RP servers should adhere to the same rules. I have a number of names I would like that do not fit on RP servers but I do not use them because they would be against the naming conventions of that server. No one should be any more above the rules than anyone else. Just because you hadn't had your name changed yet doesn't mean you won't be subjected in the future.
The reason I have no sympathy for people who this happens to is because of how many RP servers there are compared to normal servers. Theres what? 4 or 5 rp servers with only 2 of them being really active? You have dozens of other of active servers to choose from that you can have any stupid, silly, offensive name you want. But we only get these select servers and we like to have a certain atmosphere to our servers. One of immersion and Holymilkz kinda breaks that. How selfish do you have to be to demand you have free reign on our servers when you have so many others you could play on?

In short. No.