Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 19 Next
General Warcraft Naming Policy:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34530

Roleplaying Warcraft Naming Policy:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/135764

There is also a specific statement that says, "including but not limited to." Which means, they can't encompass every single thing in a naming policy. It would take way too long to attempt to list everything and people will always attempt to find a way around it.

It's easier to give the general policies and review reported names from there.

Lately, I've heard that there's a guild full of people that are doing nothing but reporting non-RP names. An odd past time, to say the least. But if people are sanctioned and their appeal is lost, the the name wasn't appropriate. It doesn't matter how old the name is.

As you said, people can use RP addons to change their names. So people who wanted their names and got them changed also have a way to keep it.
We need the ability to pick a last name or put spaces in our name. But on the whole I am ALL for stricter enforcement of RP names
07/10/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Tresska
We need the ability to pick a last name or put spaces in our name. But on the whole I am ALL for stricter enforcement of RP names
Spaces, please. Not all races have last names. And I don't want to be forced to choose one.

The ability to put spaces, hyphens and apostrophes is very needed.
Also would like to point out that there are lore characters with names that would be hit by these rules. Pained, Jaina's night elf bodyguard, comes to mind as the more obvious example, given that such a name does not fit any of the parameters per the rule. Or Budd, if you really wanted to nitpick, though that one could be argued.
I save my name reports for the really bad ones. I've had people threaten to report my name because apparently two words are not allowed?
07/10/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Aureton
Also would like to point out that there are lore characters with names that would be hit by these rules. Pained, Jaina's night elf bodyguard, comes to mind as the more obvious example, given that such a name does not fit any of the parameters per the rule. Or Budd, if you really wanted to nitpick, though that one could be argued.
NPCs are never held to the same standards as players. Ever. This argument doesn't work.
Until Blizzard does a few things that are long, long overdue for RP quality of life such as allowing in-game surnames, the strict attitude about RP server character names is unwelcome. Many of the names for characters exists as a nickname as well since its so hard especially on RP servers to get a good name.

Further, so much of RP servers hinges on community. Taking away someone's name can have pretty big effects due to their reputation.

If some guy is name like... Pwnloard, I can understand. But something that would reasonably be a nickname shouldn't be taken away.
07/10/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Rainfish
I save my name reports for the really bad ones. I've had people threaten to report my name because apparently two words are not allowed?
That is correct. Names that consist of two words are not allowed.
What is being done to prevent bitter idiots from targeting my guild with name reports? If it only takes 1 person having their immersion ruined for a rename, then I feel really bad for whoever is running around Dalaran this weekend when I'm around. Not feeling too immersion-y myself.

It's hypocritical. If 1 person can't decide that a name is within the "fantasy" theme, or if it's appropriate, then why can 1 person's distaste for a name be all that it takes for that name to be removed/renamed?

Thanks.
I guess what I dont understand is if you wanted to name your characters any old crazy name why wouldn't you just roll on a pve server and not an rp server?

I really don't find character naming that restrictive.

In any case, if they want to get serious about the naming policy then perhaps all new character names on rp realms should be reviewed before the toon can formally be created. I would guess people who are serious about rp would be willing to wait for the name to be approved where as a person who just wants to straight up play the game could roll on a reg pve server name their toon something silly like Glasses and start questing.
07/10/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Kadri
What is being done to prevent bitter idiots from targeting my guild with name reports? If it only takes 1 person having their immersion ruined for a rename, then I feel really bad for whoever is running around Dalaran this weekend when I'm around. Not feeling too immersion-y myself.

It's hypocritical. If 1 person can't decide that a name is within the "fantasy" theme, or if it's appropriate, then why can 1 person's distaste for a name be all that it takes for that name to be removed/renamed?

Thanks.
The names are reviewed and can be appealed. So there's two steps in there before someone is forced to name change permanently.
New thread? Nice.

After reading through the Customer Service thread (after posting in it. L0L), I still don't really understand why it became so abrupt in combativeness. The policy for RP names isn't irrelevantly dated in my opinion, but the idea of what constitutes a proper choice should really be taken with a grain of salt and kept lax.

Like, if someone has the name "Tidepods" or "Owowhatsthis," I think that's fairly obvious in being unprotected by the policy. That said, Vrakthis' statements early on about twoword names seems extremely disagreeable and, for a full-pop realm like Moon Guard or Wyrmrest Accord, I'd dare to call it unsustainable.

Names like "Paladinboy," "Hexerman," "Broadsword," "Moist," or "Samadams," are considered unprotected by his definition and I think that's unfair. Sure, they might be considered a little bit sillier than some but the fact of the matter is that WoW is a 14 year old game and not everyone can get names like Susan, Jack, or Lopez.

Hell, you're going to have a really hard time just FINDING someone with those names these days, and on less community-driven servers. The end-result for a lot of people is to (A) make a name that essentially comes out to being a gargled mess of different pronunciations that might sound vaguely Ye Olde styled, or (B) decide on character themes and decide on a derivative of the character that you can create an in-game tag with and then supplement that with an RP addon like TotalRoleplay 3 or MyRolePlay.

Most people already use RP addons like that so the issue isn't really thought about that much anymore, I guess, but I think it's important to say that even if you don't have a profile addon in your User Interface, most story-driven or long-term roleplayers don't suddenly know your character's name by seeing it in-game.

In-Character engagement typically reveals someone's full name (and much of their character personalities) through dialog and emote exchanges. Not doing that is really considered breaking the fourth wall and metagaming knowledge (albeit in this case it's not a very dramatic issue).

Personally, I find the meta-issue a lot more immersion breaking than someone with the name Slamurai or Kickmaster.
07/10/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Dorondir
Until Blizzard does a few things that are long, long overdue for RP quality of life such as allowing in-game surnames, the strict attitude about RP server character names is unwelcome. Many of the names for characters exists as a nickname as well since its so hard especially on RP servers to get a good name.

Further, so much of RP servers hinges on community. Taking away someone's name can have pretty big effects due to their reputation.

If some guy is name like... Pwnloard, I can understand. But something that would reasonably be a nickname shouldn't be taken away.
And it can easily be appealed and the name change overturned. So I fail to see the issue. If you explain in your appeal, Blizz does listen. Two of my guild members were asked to change their names, they appealed and explained, they were told their names are fine and were left alone.

Also: spaces not surnames. Not all races have surnames.
Another important point for name leniency is players who want to change their identity. Should they pay $10? Should they re-level a character? Why can't they just make a character that has an irrelevant OOC name (like "Normalperson"), and then play it under any name they want in-character? It's going to be weird to play a person named Tom, when their OOC/character name is "Henry", the person who just died yesterday. Even then, it's almost impossible to get the name you want.

Anyone who gets annoyed by OOC names needs to be a bit more tolerant (in my opinion). You do not even use it, ever, except when talking to someone out-of-character. You don't know their in-character name without interacting with them in-character. This policy isn't catering to the large majority here...
07/10/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Tammya
Another important point for name leniency is players who want to change their identity. Should they pay $10? Should they re-level a character? Why can't they just make a character that has an irrelevant OOC name (like "Normalperson"), and then play it under any name they want in-character? It's going to be weird to play a person named Tom, when their OOC/character name is "Henry", the person who just died yesterday. Even then, it's almost impossible to get the name you want.

Anyone who gets annoyed by OOC names needs to be a bit more tolerant (in my opinion). You do not even use it, ever, except when talking to someone out-of-character. You don't know their in-character name without interacting with them in-character. This policy isn't catering to the large majority here...
You're on an RP server. Pick an RP name. There's no such thing as an OOC name.

Don't kill off your character and you won't have to name change. This sounds like a personal issue, not a Blizz problem.
07/10/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

From the discussion of the previous thread in Customer Service, it's no so open and shut as that. Compound words are totally fine, i.e. Bronzebeard.
07/10/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
Don't kill off your character and you won't have to name change. This sounds like a personal issue, not a Blizz problem.

Don't... ever have my character have a chance to die?
07/10/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Tuiie
Most people know my stance but it's worth posting again there should be no leniancy ever. get an rp name or get off the rp server. If you arnt going to rp there are plenty other servers to choose from.

There are certainly people whose end games is reporting other people for all sorts of real and imagined infractions.
07/10/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Solaui
...That is correct. Names that consist of two words are not allowed.

From the discussion of the previous thread in Customer Service, it's no so open and shut as that. Compound words are totally fine, i.e. Bronzebeard.
That's a last name. Not a first name. And it's an NPC name. As I stated earlier, NPCs aren't held to the same standards as players. Ever. In any capacity.

But if you appeal it as a last name, Blizz does listen to appeals.

That really is a recent change to the rules though - it used to be phrases or partial sentences that weren't allowed - two words used to be okay.