Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 19 Next
07/10/2018 08:17 PMPosted by Tammya
07/10/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
Don't kill off your character and you won't have to name change. This sounds like a personal issue, not a Blizz problem.

Don't... ever have my character have a chance to die?
This is MMO RP, not tabletop RP, and not the real world. Injuries, sure. Close to death, sure. But why would you create a long term character to kill off?

Short term, then make a lowbie alt and give them a real name to kill them off.
Maybe don't play on an RP server and go to a regular PvE server then? I guess it would be harder to sell your runs though.
07/10/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
<span class="truncated">...</span>

From the discussion of the previous thread in Customer Service, it's no so open and shut as that. Compound words are totally fine, i.e. Bronzebeard.
That's a last name. Not a first name. And it's an NPC name. As I stated earlier, NPCs aren't held to the same standards as players. Ever. In any capacity.

But if you appeal it as a last name, Blizz does listen to appeals.

I used Bronzebeard as an example because it's instantly recognizable. Plenty of players have similar names as well. There was a poster in the previous thread named Stonebeard. I don't think the name "Rainfish" is in the wrong at all based on that example. You could argue that it may not flow off the tongue as neatly, but if one doesn't violate the rules, neither does the other.
07/10/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Amine
07/10/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
...That is correct. Names that consist of two words are not allowed.

That really is a recent change to the rules though - it used to be phrases or partial sentences that weren't allowed - two words used to be okay.
And the terms of service specifically state that the rules can change at any time. And you can still put in an appeal.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

From the discussion of the previous thread in Customer Service, it's no so open and shut as that. Compound words are totally fine, i.e. Bronzebeard.
That's a last name. Not a first name. And it's an NPC name. As I stated earlier, NPCs aren't held to the same standards as players. Ever. In any capacity.

https://imgur.com/a/o2MsZ3K

According to the support person from the last thread, you're incorrect.
07/10/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Solaui
...That's a last name. Not a first name. And it's an NPC name. As I stated earlier, NPCs aren't held to the same standards as players. Ever. In any capacity.

I used Bronzebeard as an example because it;s instantly recognizable. Plenty of players have similar names as well. There was a poster in the previous thread named Stonebeard. I don't think the name "Rainfish" is in the wrong at all based on that example. You could argue that it may not flow off the tongue as neatly, but if one doesn't violate the rules, neither does the other.
Technically they both do. But if you appeal it with your reasoning why you chose it, Blizz can take that into consideration. So what's the problem?
You're on an RP server. Pick an RP name. There's no such thing as an OOC name.
Yes there is.
A person's character should be able to have a relevant tag to the narrative they're trying to present and it doesn't hurt anyone if they do. Moreso, it can help segregate the actions of the PC that is doing WoW's content from the personal storyline that a player wants to write collaboratively with their friends in the Warcraft universe.

Don't kill off your character and you won't have to name change. This sounds like a personal issue, not a Blizz problem.
You're saying that they shouldn't be able to write out an ending that might be fit to a storyline that's been built up. Why are you so personally invested in how other people develop or storyboard for their RP?

Honestly, I don't understand why this issue is considered so intimately. People can have fun and the in-game name, even for roleplayers, can be considered more of a "tag" for who they are and what they're doing in many different circles.

It doesn't need to be a black and white thing lmao.
...That's a last name. Not a first name. And it's an NPC name. As I stated earlier, NPCs aren't held to the same standards as players. Ever. In any capacity.

https://imgur.com/a/o2MsZ3K

According to the support person from the last thread, you're incorrect.
I'm not incorrect. I said before that the rules aren't cut and dry. And if you appeal it, they can look at it and decide from there.
07/10/2018 08:22 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

I used Bronzebeard as an example because it;s instantly recognizable. Plenty of players have similar names as well. There was a poster in the previous thread named Stonebeard. I don't think the name "Rainfish" is in the wrong at all based on that example. You could argue that it may not flow off the tongue as neatly, but if one doesn't violate the rules, neither does the other.
Technically they both do. But if you appeal it with your reasoning why you chose it, Blizz can take that into consideration. So what's the problem?

The problem is it is annoying to have to go through the procedure to do all that when you are just trying to enjoy a game you are paying monthly for. The rules need changing so they are more sensible and not just tools people are using to harass others.
07/10/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Isthranstaul
Maybe don't play on an RP server and go to a regular PvE server then? I guess it would be harder to sell your runs though.

The market will never be dry so long as people like you still play.
07/10/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Winterbreezé
It's impossible to get a good name on WoW because they're all taken.
I have no opinion on whether RP names should be more lenient, but the above statement is patently false. It's completely possible to find a "good" name, even one that meets the strictest of RP standards.

That said, I do think many players would be happiest if they could have two names (whether or not you consider it a "first" and "last" name).
07/10/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

One of my characters had the name Lifeguard. They had the real name "Hannah Chatham". Hannah and Chatham were taken. What should I have named them? On top of that, this character died early on in a tragic accident while purifying a cauldron of blight (and my healer rolled 1/10).

What should I have named them? If I did get the named Hannah, do I just go along and make a Susan with the name Hannah?

The policy needs changing!
07/10/2018 08:27 PMPosted by Bookertea
07/10/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Isthranstaul

The market will never be dry so long as people like you still play.

I'd dodge commenting on real competition on other servers too if I were you, you wouldn't even have a market on a server with real raiding guilds. lol
07/10/2018 08:22 PMPosted by Alison
You're on an RP server. Pick an RP name. There's no such thing as an OOC name.
Yes there is.
A person's character should be able to have a relevant tag to the narrative they're trying to present and it doesn't hurt anyone if they do. Moreso, it can help segregate the actions of the PC that is doing WoW's content from the personal storyline that a player wants to write collaboratively with their friends in the Warcraft universe.

You're saying that they shouldn't be able to write out an ending that might be fit to a storyline that's been built up. Why are you so personally invested in how other people develop or storyboard for their RP?

Honestly, I don't understand why this issue is considered so intimately. People can have fun and the in-game name, even for roleplayers, can be considered more of a "tag" for who they are and what they're doing in many different circles.

It doesn't need to be a black and white thing lmao.
In my over twelve years of roleplaying across four different MMOs, I have never once seen someone attempt to use an "OOC character" as some sort of excuse to play their character outside of RP. I don't RP all the time and all of my characters have RP names that fit the guidelines of my servers on all of my games.

If I choose to have an OOC character or a specific characterer that follows a storyline to where they're killed or supposed to disappear or whatever, I still name them appropriately.

Why is that such an issue for you? Why is it so hard to follow a few rules a company gives you? I don't seem to have a problem following rules. Nor do all of the people I've run into over the past twelve-ish years of roleplaying. And if we do get reported for some reason, we appeal and we explain.

You're not being oppressed. You just can't seem to see outside of your weird little strange RP box to realize that everyone is.subject to company rules.

It's not that big of a deal.
07/10/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Isthranstaul
I'd dodge commenting on real competition on other servers too if I were you, you wouldn't even have a market on a server with real raiding guilds. lol

This isn't really a <Pact> specific issue, why are you trying to make it one? lmao
07/10/2018 08:28 PMPosted by Tammya
07/10/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

One of my characters had the name Lifeguard. They had the real name "Hannah Chatham". Hannah and Chatham were taken. What should I have named them? On top of that, this character died early on in a tragic accident while purifying a cauldron of blight (and my healer rolled 1/10).

What should I have named them? If I did get the named Hannah, do I just go along and make a Susan with the name Hannah?

The policy needs changing!
Stop trying to play tabletop gaming that kills off your characters in an MMO, first of all.

Second of all, try being creative with names and spellings and don't use dumb stuff like "Lifeguard."

Pretty simple.
07/10/2018 08:31 PMPosted by Alison
07/10/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Isthranstaul

This isn't really a <Pact> specific issue, why are you trying to make it one? lmao

^.

Nor does it have anything remotely to do with the subject of this thread.
Oh good lord. You people are on Moon Guard.

Why do you people continually have to come up with some weird drama that doesn't affect more than a handful of people and make it into some huge dramatic issue, doing nothing but making the rest of our server look bad?

::sighs:: These are the days I'm ashamed to be on this server.
07/10/2018 07:53 PMPosted by Fernfeather
Would my name, as Fernfeather, if flagged need to be changed because it is a compound word?
07/10/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Rainfish
I save my name reports for the really bad ones. I've had people threaten to report my name because apparently two words are not allowed?
In a naming report thread on CSM forums, the Centaur (Vrakthis?) a Blue poster SPECIFICALLY said that there is nothing wrong with RP Appropriate compound names.

You guys seem to be falling for some pretty transparent fearmongering on the part of the OP. They'd sure like you to be all worried that "this could happen to you!!!" and support their thread. But that's nonsense.

You can be reported an infinite number of times, but unless your name actually falls afoul the naming policy nothing will happen to your name. And I see someone doubled down to claim that someone who suffered a name-change also got a ban... well, no. That just doesn't happen unless they're being bone headed enough to just use the exact same name, or something equally inappropriate.

07/10/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Firekeeper
In-game names don't have to have anything to do with your character ICly
You are incorrect. On an RP Server, this is very specifically the POINT of an RP server. They are for increased immersion, and this means your name needs to be immersive. There's no such thing as "appropriate OOC names" for an RP server. Names are for your character, so are inherently (and always must be) "in character."

Looks like <Pact> (and here, I'm not calling out, posters from this guild are specifically claiming they were targeted, and have said as much in this thread) maybe should have rolled on a PvE server. As I said above, it doesn't matter if a bunch of people targeted your guild with name reports; if those names weren't inappropriate you'd never have even known about it.

Also, a claim was made that "since the naming rules were updated 2 months ago" well... meh. Honestly, the name policy for RP servers was almost exactly the same (if not exactly the same) 3 months ago... just as it was 3 years and even 13 years ago. The RP naming policy has honestly not changed much, if at all, since the servers went live... and people have been crying about Name Changes since then, too. Names don't need to be "grandfathered in" because the policy just hasn't changed significantly.

Also... as for the vagueness of the Naming Policy... you guys with marginal names should be thankful for that. Again, from the CSM forums, I read that in cases where something isn't cut and dried, in-game GMs tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the player who's name was reported... not the player who reported the name.
...personally, I'd like to see those rules more strictly enforced. If you want meme names, roll on a PvE server.
Stop trying to play tabletop gaming that kills off your characters in an MMO, first of all.

Second of all, try being creative with names and spellings and don't use dumb stuff like "Lifeguard."

Pretty simple.

Okay, with your twelve years of RP, you should know that people RP differently, and even in MMOs people do, indeed, have their character die at times.

I'm not getting any solutions here either. Hannah and Chatham were taken. What would you name them without changing their in-character name?