Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 19 Next
They cant apply the rules to some players and not all.
If a person's name is offensive/repulsive, or it's very OOC and they're clearly trying to mock and troll people's RP, they deserve to have their name reported. If they're just questing with their friend and wanted to name their character "zappyboi" for fun, they're not bothering anybody. They just want to enjoy their time. If looking at someone with an ooc name in an ooc environment (questing, at the auction house, raiding, etc) really breaks your immersion that much, you need to work on the fragility of your immersion.
At this point it's difficult to even get a name that isn't complete nonsense to actually be able to roll a character.
07/10/2018 08:38 PMPosted by Evilheckler
At this point it's difficult to even get a name that isn't complete nonsense to actually be able to roll a character.

Dude I'm gonna report you...
07/10/2018 08:30 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
In my over twelve years of roleplaying across four different MMOs, I have never once seen someone attempt to use an "OOC character" as some sort of excuse to play their character outside of RP. I don't RP all the time and all of my characters have RP names that fit the guidelines of my servers on all of my games.

If I choose to have an OOC character or a specific characterer that follows a storyline to where they're killed or supposed to disappear or whatever, I still name them appropriately.

I'm glad that works for you? My point was moreso that you were asserting that there's no such thing as an OOC name and if that were the case then anything associative with that name is considered IC to you (including game content).

I don't look at Alison and think of the paladin Highlord.

Why is that such an issue for you? Why is it so hard to follow a few rules a company gives you? I don't seem to have a problem following rules. Nor do all of the people I've run into over the past twelve-ish years of roleplaying. And if we do get reported for some reason, we appeal and we explain.

I don't know if you've seen the name I'm posting on but I'm not the person being directly effected in this situation, so please don't act like you're scolding a petulant child.

Yes, you can "appeal" name changes, but the fact of the matter is doing that is a chore that's more inhibitive to people doing the things they might actually want to do (like logging on to write with their friends).

You're not being oppressed. You just can't seem to see outside of your weird little strange RP box to realize that everyone is.subject to company rules.

I'm fairly sure the discussion in this thread is meant to encourage leniency for character names again from blizzard, not just to complain and tantrum as you're treating it.

07/10/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
Oh good lord. You people are on Moon Guard.

Yikes.
Why is that such an issue for you? Why is it so hard to follow a few rules a company gives you? I don't seem to have a problem following rules. Nor do all of the people I've run into over the past twelve-ish years of roleplaying. And if we do get reported for some reason, we appeal and we explain.

You're not being oppressed. You just can't seem to see outside of your weird little strange RP box to realize that everyone is.subject to company rules.

It's not that big of a deal.

We're simply asking for more leniency towards RP names. Someone who has had some character names for years, then suddenly is forced to rename them, and then gets suspended when another character of theirs is reported (again, after having that name, for years) seems a little unfair and a bit too easy to abuse. The naming rules aren't exactly clear - are two word names okay or aren't they? because one of the forced renamed characters falls into that category.

It goes beyond "well, you should have just followed the rules! haha!" when the rules aren't exactly clear and seem inconsistent in the first place, much less getting suspended because of something you weren't even aware was a problem.

I'm not sure why this is such a contentious topic.
07/10/2018 08:35 PMPosted by Tammya
Stop trying to play tabletop gaming that kills off your characters in an MMO, first of all.

Second of all, try being creative with names and spellings and don't use dumb stuff like "Lifeguard."

Pretty simple.

Okay, with your twelve years of RP, you should know that people RP differently, and even in MMOs people do, indeed, have their character die at times.

I'm not getting any solutions here either. Hannah and Chatham were taken. What would you name them without changing their in-character name?
Open up your mind to a different spelling or a different name. This isn't rocket science. It's not the real world. You can have a more creatively spelled name or a different one.

It's Moon Guard. You can't expect to have a plain normal name there. And if you can't come up with something better than "Lifeguard," which you yourself said wasn't even a real name, meaning it shouldn't even matter to you that it was changed, then that's a you problem.
Take a look at OP's guild roster and tell me some of those names are okay. I'd make a list of a dozen right now that are horrible and should be name changed right now but that would be against the forum CoC to start calling people out.

Some of the names on that roster are exactly why Blizzard has a rule for naming on RP servers.

lol
07/10/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Firekeeper

It's not that big of a deal.

We're simply asking for more leniency towards RP names. Someone who has had some character names for years, then suddenly is forced to rename them, and then gets suspended when another character of theirs is reported (again, after having that name, for years) seems a little unfair and a bit too easy to abuse. The naming rules aren't exactly clear - are two word names okay or aren't they? because one of the forced renamed characters falls into that category.

It goes beyond "well, you should have just followed the rules! haha!" when the rules aren't exactly clear and seem inconsistent in the first place, much less getting suspended because of something you weren't even aware was a problem.

You're making a big deal out of something that isn't a big deal.

You have leniency. You can appeal the name change if you get one. Blizz doesn't give specifics so that they can allow for appeals and reasonings for names.

It's not a contentious topic. It's just a non issue that you've made into one. And you keep using dramatic language to attempt to make a big deal out of something that isn't.
we need last names
07/10/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
It's Moon Guard. You can't expect to have a plain normal name there. And if you can't come up with something better than "Lifeguard," which you yourself said wasn't even a real name, meaning it shouldn't even matter to you that it was changed, then that's a you problem.

You keep telling me to come up with something better, which is...mangling my character's name? Unfortunately they aren't an elf, and humans have a little bit of a standard when it comes to common names.

You still haven't given me a solution for someone named "Hannah Chatham." I'm not gonna change their in-character name just because the toon name was taken. That's absurd. This policy is stupid.
07/10/2018 08:35 PMPosted by Dimpishly
07/10/2018 07:53 PMPosted by Fernfeather
Would my name, as Fernfeather, if flagged need to be changed because it is a compound word?
07/10/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Rainfish
I save my name reports for the really bad ones. I've had people threaten to report my name because apparently two words are not allowed?
In a naming report thread on CSM forums, the Centaur (Vrakthis?) a Blue poster SPECIFICALLY said that there is nothing wrong with RP Appropriate compound names.

You guys seem to be falling for some pretty transparent fearmongering on the part of the OP. They'd sure like you to be all worried that "this could happen to you!!!" and support their thread. But that's nonsense.

You can be reported an infinite number of times, but unless your name actually falls afoul the naming policy nothing will happen to your name. And I see someone doubled down to claim that someone who suffered a name-change also got a ban... well, no. That just doesn't happen unless they're being bone headed enough to just use the exact same name, or something equally inappropriate.

07/10/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Firekeeper
In-game names don't have to have anything to do with your character ICly
You are incorrect. On an RP Server, this is very specifically the POINT of an RP server. They are for increased immersion, and this means your name needs to be immersive. There's no such thing as "appropriate OOC names" for an RP server. Names are for your character, so are inherently (and always must be) "in character."

Looks like <Pact> (and here, I'm not calling out, posters from this guild are specifically claiming they were targeted, and have said as much in this thread) maybe should have rolled on a PvE server. As I said above, it doesn't matter if a bunch of people targeted your guild with name reports; if those names weren't inappropriate you'd never have even known about it.

Also, a claim was made that "since the naming rules were updated 2 months ago" well... meh. Honestly, the name policy for RP servers was almost exactly the same (if not exactly the same) 3 months ago... just as it was 3 years and even 13 years ago. The RP naming policy has honestly not changed much, if at all, since the servers went live... and people have been crying about Name Changes since then, too. Names don't need to be "grandfathered in" because the policy just hasn't changed significantly.

Also... as for the vagueness of the Naming Policy... you guys with marginal names should be thankful for that. Again, from the CSM forums, I read that in cases where something isn't cut and dried, in-game GMs tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the player who's name was reported... not the player who reported the name.
...personally, I'd like to see those rules more strictly enforced. If you want meme names, roll on a PvE server.

I don't think you read much further into my post because despite the support person saying that it was more than likely, there have been several instances of players with similar names to mine having been flagged for whatever reason.

I don't think that I'll have an issue, but clearly there are a number of people who thought the same thing only to be tagged for a name change. This is a problem.
Is this just happening on Moon Guard server?
I also thought that when a name gets flagged for a change, a GM contacts that person so they can state their case - or at least let them know they are about to be disconnected and taken back to the character screen.
I have not had this happen to me so I am uncertain what the procedure is.
07/10/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

It's thematic to the character they want to play and people can have an attachment to the IC name that they want, while it may not be available. I played the character Stormwindian before I used Alison and that's because my character was from (whoa!) Stormwind.

It's not an unimmersive name.

The crux of your opinion seems to be "Why do you care about being inconvenienced?" and it's not constructive or productive. Telling someone to "stop being bothered" doesn't work; you know that, right?
07/10/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Isthranstaul
Take a look at OP's guild roster and tell me some of those names are okay. I'd make a list of a dozen right now that are horrible and should be name changed right now but that would be against the forum CoC to start calling people out.

Some of the names on that roster are exactly why Blizzard has a rule for naming on RP servers.

lol

Yet you're trying to circumvent that CoC by drawing attention to it anyway. Once again, what does this have to do with the thread topic? Please move on.

07/10/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Jim
Is this just happening on Moon Guard server?
I also thought that when a name gets flagged for a change, a GM contacts that person so they can state their case - or at least let them know they are about to be disconnected and taken back to the character screen.
I have not had this happen to me so I am uncertain what the procedure is.

No, there were several people in the previous thread in Customer Service that mentioned the same thing on other servers.
07/10/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Tuiie
Most people know my stance but it's worth posting again there should be no leniancy ever. get an rp name or get off the rp server. If you arnt going to rp there are plenty other servers to choose from.

Pretty cringey there friend.
07/10/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Isthranstaul

lol

About the names, not the guild. Though, it seems you've got personal issues with the guild. Feel free to contact me with any grievances you might have on your main account.
@Solidsnack Actually a funny name, and anyone who is bothered by that needs to rethink their priorities in life. Like seriously, how is the name floating above someone's head ANY problem when compared up to the real problem RP servers have? (TOYS.)
07/10/2018 08:39 PMPosted by Alison
In my over twelve years of roleplaying across four different MMOs, I have never once seen someone attempt to use an "OOC character" as some sort of excuse to play their character outside of RP. I don't RP all the time and all of my characters have RP names that fit the guidelines of my servers on all of my games.

If I choose to have an OOC character or a specific characterer that follows a storyline to where they're killed or supposed to disappear or whatever, I still name them appropriately.

I'm glad that works for you? My point was moreso that you were asserting that there's no such thing as an OOC name and if that were the case then anything associative with that name is considered IC to you (including game content).

I don't look at Alison and think of the paladin Highlord.

I don't know if you've seen the name I'm posting on but I'm not the person being directly effected in this situation, so please don't act like you're scolding a petulant child.

Yes, you can "appeal" name changes, but the fact of the matter is doing that is a chore that's more inhibitive to people doing the things they might actually want to do (like logging on to write with their friends).

I'm fairly sure the discussion in this thread is meant to encourage leniency for character names again from blizzard, not just to complain and tantrum as you're treating it.

07/10/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
Oh good lord. You people are on Moon Guard.

Yikes.
I never once treated you like a petulant child. I asked a series of questions followed by comments. How you managed to get out of that some sort of "petulant child" thing, I have no idea.

There is zero reason why you can't follow a naming policy. It's not strict. At all. It's left open on purpose. And if you can't think of an RP appropriate name when rolling a character, that's on you. Whether you want to do some weird sort of OOC thing or not, you can still come up with an RP appropriate name for them.

"You" is also not always pointed directly at you personally. So please try to keep that in mind.
07/10/2018 08:43 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
07/10/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Firekeeper

You're making a big deal out of something that isn't a big deal.

You have leniency. You can appeal the name change if you get one. Blizz doesn't give specifics so that they can allow for appeals and reasonings for names.

It's not a contentious topic. It's just a non issue that you've made into one. And you keep using dramatic language to attempt to make a big deal out of something that isn't.

Why do you keep blaming these guys for making a fuss and not the guild of busybodies on that server that is causing these issues.

If names are a non issue then what's the big deal with blizzard taking a look at this policy.

Most reasonable people would considered being suspended for a name to be a big deal.