Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 19 Next
I never once treated you like a petulant child. I asked a series of questions followed by comments. How you managed to get out of that some sort of "petulant child" thing, I have no idea.

There is zero reason why you can't follow a naming policy. It's not strict. At all. It's left open on purpose. And if you can't think of an RP appropriate name when rolling a character, that's on you. Whether you want to do some weird sort of OOC thing or not, you can still come up with an RP appropriate name for them.

"You" is also not always pointed directly at you personally. So please try to keep that in mind.

I can't think of a reason why you need to defend Blizzard's policy for them, yet you are. I'll ask you what I put in my first post on this thread: if the naming policy were relaxed, what are you afraid would happen?
07/10/2018 08:46 PMPosted by Solidsnack
07/10/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Tuiie
Most people know my stance but it's worth posting again there should be no leniancy ever. get an rp name or get off the rp server. If you arnt going to rp there are plenty other servers to choose from.

Pretty cringey there friend.

solidsnack, you're wonderful
07/10/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Amine
<span class="truncated">...</span>You're making a big deal out of something that isn't a big deal.

You have leniency. You can appeal the name change if you get one. Blizz doesn't give specifics so that they can allow for appeals and reasonings for names.

It's not a contentious topic. It's just a non issue that you've made into one. And you keep using dramatic language to attempt to make a big deal out of something that isn't.

Why do you keep blaming these guys for making a fuss and not the guild of busybodies on that server that is causing these issues.

If names are a non issue then what's the big deal with blizzard taking a look at this policy.

Most reasonable people would considered being suspended for a name to be a big deal.
First of all, I already addressed the guild of people. But clearly you didn't read that and just decided to attempt to make them look like victims and as if I'm some sort of bad guy in this.

They're not victims. They're choosing names that don't follow a very open and general naming policy, which is that way so that they can review these names and give people a chance to appeal.

Anyone that's getting suspended because of their name means they didn't follow the rules more than once. A first offense on a character is simply "change the name."

So you're going to defend people who want to do nothing but purposely break the rules over and over to get themselves suspended?

That naming policy isn't a problem. But kudos on the amount of victimization and drama you're capable of adding to this thread.
07/10/2018 08:52 PMPosted by Solaui
I never once treated you like a petulant child. I asked a series of questions followed by comments. How you managed to get out of that some sort of "petulant child" thing, I have no idea.

There is zero reason why you can't follow a naming policy. It's not strict. At all. It's left open on purpose. And if you can't think of an RP appropriate name when rolling a character, that's on you. Whether you want to do some weird sort of OOC thing or not, you can still come up with an RP appropriate name for them.

"You" is also not always pointed directly at you personally. So please try to keep that in mind.

I can't think of a reason why you need to defend Blizzard's policy for them, yet you are. I'll ask you what I put in my first post on this thread: if the naming policy were relaxed, what are you afraid would happen?
The naming policy shouldn't be relaxed. It's an RP server. Follow the damn rules. They're pretty open and lenient as it is. And if you can't come up with an appropriate name, that's your own fault, not Blizzard's. Thousands upon thousands of others don't seem to have an issue.

The naming policy shouldn't be relaxed. It's an RP server. Follow the damn rules. They're pretty open and lenient as it is. And if you can't come up with an appropriate name, that's your own fault, not Blizzard's. Thousands upon thousands of others don't seem to have an issue.

Can you answer the question please? What are the negative consequences you are afraid would happen? More lenience for trolls? What?
07/10/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
Thousands upon thousands of others don't seem to have an issue.

Mainly because they haven't been unfortunate enough to pass by someone who spends their entire time in-game reporting names
While I personally don't see a problem, be it that it's more lenient or that is stays as is. I can understand the people against easier going rules.

I mean, even those of us who rolled on those before we even really knew the difference have no excuse really. Server clearly state there is a naming rule to follow, if we lose a name cause it's deemed inappropriate, that's on us.

Why are you feverishly acting as a status quo warrior? Relax, dude. The way WoW handles names is clearly out of date. Instead of being a nark and supporting rule enforcement that isn't positive the the server because it hinges on technicality, why don't you actually advocate for Blizzard to give us a few appreciated changes?
07/10/2018 08:49 PMPosted by Kaiyeri

The tone in your response-comments is overtly dismissive and borderline derisive. Your questions are hardly even pertinent to the specific responses you're given. You're actively responding to people in favor of changing the policy to something more lenient as if they're being petulant (childishly sulky or bad-tempered)and it's egregiously debilitative to an actually constructive conversation.

There is zero reason why you can't follow a naming policy. It's not strict. At all. It's left open on purpose.

If the policy is "left open," then it's not firmly defined. If it's not firmly defined then not everyone is going to be able to follow it exactly correctly— there's a reason in your statement in-and-of-itself.

You're very adamant about how people should follow Blizzard's rules but you've yet to express a reason as to why it shouldn't be changed or why people shouldn't be interested in exploring the topic itself? Personally, I'm not even in a camp wanting to do away with every restriction imaginable; I'd rather it just be very, very special and obvious cases that get put under the figurative belt.

A name like "Lifeguard" has just as much validity as a the CS Agent's name, "Vrakthis," in my opinion.
07/10/2018 09:02 PMPosted by Firekeeper
07/10/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
Thousands upon thousands of others don't seem to have an issue.

Mainly because they haven't been unfortunate enough to pass by someone who spends their entire time in-game reporting names
No, mainly because there aren't that many names to report. But nice try.

...The naming policy shouldn't be relaxed. It's an RP server. Follow the damn rules. They're pretty open and lenient as it is. And if you can't come up with an appropriate name, that's your own fault, not Blizzard's. Thousands upon thousands of others don't seem to have an issue.

Can you answer the question please? What are the negative consequences you are afraid would happen? More lenience for trolls? What?
I shouldn't have to answer that. It's stupidly obvious. You're on an RP server. Not a normal server. Don't like the fact that you're not capable of coming up with a name that's RP relevant? Don't roll on an RP realm. Or use TRP and change your name.

We don't need non RP names on RP servers. We're RP servers with to immersion. You have leniency enough already. There doesn't need to be more.

People just need to learn to use websites to find names if they're not creative enough to come up with heir own. This isn't difficult.
07/10/2018 09:07 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
People just need to learn to use websites to find names if they're not creative enough to come up with heir own. This isn't difficult.

Try the first thousand boy baby names. See if you get one.

Maybe I should use the in-game generator for some recommendations that are free on Moon Guard? Like Loracancacha or Chanaomillia or Elynnistarly. Yeah, I'd much rather just pick something simple and bend the rules a bit.
07/10/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Fernfeather
I don't think you read much further into my post because despite the support person saying that it was more than likely, there have been several instances of players with similar names to mine having been flagged for whatever reason.
I didn't read into the CSM thread at all, and this thread has moved faster than I typed my previous post...

Regardless, I just don't think that people with legitimate, RP appropriate compound names need to be worried. If they do get flagged, appeal.

07/10/2018 08:50 PMPosted by Amine
Most reasonable people would considered being suspended for a name to be a big deal.
True... but people DO NOT get suspended for a name. They get suspended because they respond to a flagged name change by using the same name, or something equally objectionable. When the name gets reported again, and the player doubles down by doing the same thing again... and again... THEN they get a suspension.

The suspension was because "slow learner" not because "bad name."

I actually like immersion. I hate stupid meme names. I like my server to be immersive, and stupid meme names interfere with that immersion.
...a common "argument" people have about name enforcement is that "there's so many non-RP names on RP servers anyways!!!" well, yeah. There are. That's not an excuse to open the flood gates, though. Again, if anything, I'd want the RP naming rules more strictly enforced. Don't like it? Roll on a PvE server.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No, mainly because there aren't that many names to report. But nice try.

<span class="truncated">...</span>

I shouldn't have to answer that. It's stupidly obvious. You're on an RP server. Not a normal server. Don't like the fact that you're not capable of coming up with a name that's RP relevant? Don't roll on an RP realm. Or use TRP and change your name.

We don't need non RP names on RP servers. We're RP servers with to immersion. You have leniency enough already. There doesn't need to be more.

Some people have a character with already established history who they bring to the server. The name for that character may be taken. So in compromise, they may come up with a name that is a word or phrase that references a quality about their character's traits or personality or class. Are you telling me that is wrong? That there should be zero tolerance for such a situation? I'm not advocating meme based names or anything of the sort, just that you might not always be able to get the exact name you want, or you might have a name you started with that out of a nostalgia you want to keep, even if it doesn't reflect your proper, in character name.

Firekeeper is a really good example I think. That's not their IC name, but in no way should that violate the naming policy, and anyone who tries to claim it's breaking their immersion is being nothing but petty, or maybe even spiteful.
07/10/2018 08:27 PMPosted by Brahmina
07/10/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Winterbreezé
It's impossible to get a good name on WoW because they're all taken.
I have no opinion on whether RP names should be more lenient, but the above statement is patently false. It's completely possible to find a "good" name, even one that meets the strictest of RP standards.

That said, I do think many players would be happiest if they could have two names (whether or not you consider it a "first" and "last" name).
I say that because you literally have to use alt codes to have them. For example.... Raziel. You will not find that name without some combination of alt coded letters, and eventually all the combinations of alt coded letters will be taken. So yes, it is possible to find a good name, granted that all the combinations of coded letters aren't taken. You would eventually -have- to choose another name if all variations of the name Raziel are taken. Do you see what I'm saying? I'm not trying to come across as rude, but that is fact.
07/10/2018 09:06 PMPosted by Alison

The tone in your response-comments is overtly dismissive and borderline derisive. Your questions are hardly even pertinent to the specific responses you're given. You're actively responding to people in favor of changing the policy to something more lenient as if they're being petulant (childishly sulky or bad-tempered)and it's egregiously debilitative to an actually constructive conversation.

There is zero reason why you can't follow a naming policy. It's not strict. At all. It's left open on purpose.

If the policy is "left open," then it's not firmly defined. If it's not firmly defined then not everyone is going to be able to follow it exactly correctly— there's a reason in your statement in-and-of-itself.

You're very adamant about how people should follow Blizzard's rules but you've yet to express a reason as to why it shouldn't be changed or why people shouldn't be interested in exploring the topic itself? Personally, I'm not even in a camp wanting to do away with every restriction imaginable; I'd rather it just be very, very special and obvious cases that get put under the figurative belt.

A name like "Lifeguard" has just as much validity as a the CS Agent's name, "Vrakthis," in my opinion.
Ah, so now we're going to pull out the formal language and completely change the time of your responses so that you can attempt to sound like the more intelligent person here. Funny how none of your other posts took such a condescending tone until now.

I shouldn't be surprised that someone like you would automatically jump to dramatic conclusions about my statements simply because I don't agree with you.

If I'm ever treating anyone like a "petulant child," you'd very much know and quite blatantly.

I attempted to have an actual discussion with actual relevant questions and comments. But you'd rather focus on some tone that didn't exist and move onto the condescension instead.

I've given numerous responses, reasons and asked questions that not one single one of the five of you who keep trying to defend this can answer without immediately reverting to some victimization complex.

I'm going to stop responding, though. Because there's no reasoning with people like you. The tunnel vision is so astounding. The lack of creativity is, as well.

RP naming policy should not be lenient. Period.

Don't pick stupid names, you won't have a problem. Period.

07/10/2018 09:16 PMPosted by Winterbreezé
07/10/2018 08:27 PMPosted by Brahmina
...I have no opinion on whether RP names should be more lenient, but the above statement is patently false. It's completely possible to find a "good" name, even one that meets the strictest of RP standards.

That said, I do think many players would be happiest if they could have two names (whether or not you consider it a "first" and "last" name).
I say that because you literally have to use alt codes to have for example.... Raziel. You will not find that name without some combination alt coded letters, and eventually all the combinations of alt coded letters will be taken. So yes, it is possible to find a good name, granted that all the combinations of coded letters aren't taken. You would eventually -have- to choose another name if all variations of the name Raziel are taken. Do you see what I'm saying? I'm not trying to come across as rude, but that is fact.
And it's so difficult to find a different spelling or a different be that doesn't violate policy?

Oi. Again, think outside the box.

Enjoy this thread, all. I'm bowing out of the crazy.
Yeah, but under the rules, my name is illegal. There's some weird middle area happening.
Funny how none of your other posts took such a condescending tone until now.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that you've been the most condescending person in this thread...
07/10/2018 09:19 PMPosted by Rainfish
Yeah, but under the rules, my name is illegal. There's some weird middle area happening.

Reading the rules, as I understand them, yours falls into the grey area. I'd hope a GM wouldn't have issue with it if someone reported you.
07/10/2018 07:49 PMPosted by Alshor
There are people on RP servers who don't RP 24/7 and have a name they stick to while out of character to be easily identified. Losing that name is significantly more damaging to a player's identity than losing their RP name if they were to somehow lose it, since most people interact more out of character than in character.

Then those people should have been more careful when choosing their character's name.

You don't get to ignore the rules just because you got away without being caught for a while.

07/10/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Firekeeper
We're kind of going backwards with this statement, aren't we? "then they shouldn't have violated the rules".. but.. this thread is about those rules, and the reasons *why* they could be more lenient.

The rules being more strict on RP servers has been a thing for many years now. And the rules are like that because of players on RP servers asking for them to be applied more strictly.
blizzard's way of handling character naming is trash as is, plenty of people legit just use general words as filler to write out actual names in trp

but yea keep inconveniencing plenty of rpers because ur just defending the rules ha ha

yea i had to report you but nbd just appeal it. if it fails oh well :)

do you people actually listen to yourselves