Name Leniency on RP Servers

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 19 Next
07/10/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Alizah
People that report names, or anything in game, need to grow up and get a life

The people who think they can selectively ignore rules need to grow up and get a life.

07/10/2018 09:36 PMPosted by Firekeeper
It's a good point, but nowadays with players who have years and years behind a name, the prevalence of server transfers, names being unavailable, and also the prevalence of RP addons giving us significantly more customization as far as RP goes than what's available in the base game, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that these rules be revisited. As has been stated before, obvious obnoxious names should still be against the rules, but "grey areas" like my name, or Rainfish, could be clarified so we can avoid situations like what caused this thread to be made in the first place.

Going a long time without being caught does not mean the rules no longer apply to you.

07/10/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Solaui
The blue in the previous thread pretty much stated that the vagueness of the rules are intentional.

Because they don't want rules lawyers trying to argue that their name doesn't actually violate the rules because of whatever lunacy they can come up with.

From the SAME BLUE POSTER I recall reading the opinions that "the number of reports don't matter" and later implied the opposite.

All it takes is one report to get a name reviewed by a GM. Multiple reports would just get the name reviewed more quickly.
07/10/2018 11:12 PMPosted by Rankin
07/10/2018 09:30 PMPosted by Alizah
People that report names, or anything in game, need to grow up and get a life

The people who think they can selectively ignore rules need to grow up and get a life.

07/10/2018 09:36 PMPosted by Firekeeper
It's a good point, but nowadays with players who have years and years behind a name, the prevalence of server transfers, names being unavailable, and also the prevalence of RP addons giving us significantly more customization as far as RP goes than what's available in the base game, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that these rules be revisited. As has been stated before, obvious obnoxious names should still be against the rules, but "grey areas" like my name, or Rainfish, could be clarified so we can avoid situations like what caused this thread to be made in the first place.

Going a long time without being caught does not mean the rules no longer apply to you.

The blue in the previous thread pretty much stated that the vagueness of the rules are intentional.

Because they don't want rules lawyers trying to argue that their name doesn't actually violate the rules because of whatever lunacy they can come up with.

From the SAME BLUE POSTER I recall reading the opinions that "the number of reports don't matter" and later implied the opposite.

All it takes is one report to get a name reviewed by a GM. Multiple reports would just get the name reviewed more quickly.

You're not even making an argument. You're just parroting information and giving no reasoning for why it does or doesn't work well. In fact I am positive this is just a repost, rather that addressing what's in the quote brackets.
07/10/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Tuiie
Most people know my stance but it's worth posting again there should be no leniancy ever. get an rp name or get off the rp server. If you arnt going to rp there are plenty other servers to choose from.
You have got to be the most ignorant being I’ve ever met in my 43 years of life. Reporting your name for being an obvious additive spelling name(adding extra letters(your double I)), it’s obviously a reference to the tuie aircraft!

Firstly NOWHERE does it say in the TOS you are required to RP on an RP server, please link me or site the part in the TOS/ToU that says you are required I’ll wait.

Second, if someone’s TRANSMOG ruins you’re “immersion”. . Jesus help you. .

That being said half my guild on my other character is full of Non RPers, although they don’t disrupt RP and have somewhat decent names, nothing bad like “input urban dictionary slang word here”. Why? Because the community is undoubtedly more mature and respectful for both others and all things nerdy.

You’re that guy that goes to a party and corrects everyone : “Well actually. .*pushes up glasses and snorts*. . .” It’s disgusting. And if you use trp who the hell cares anyways? Grow the hell up and pull the broom out from your rear.

Ion himself said this game is great if you are a solo player that just wants to explore and adventure, that being said have you ever heard of solo RP? Elder scrolls? FF? Dragons flame? It is possible not everything is group based. Also some people just like to watch. Do you watch movies? Are you an actor yourself? Exactly. You can’t watch but not do.

Also some people might have bad English or anxiety or grammar. Get over yourself man.

Is that really the only response you could come up with from what I posted? My point with having names for a while is more about the attachment and establishment that comes with running with the same name for a long time - it becomes your online persona and identity, even if it has *nothing* to do with your character ICly. To have it reported and renamed - what feels, to the player, suddenly - is a jarring and kind of weird experience to have when you've been that for a while.

Again for the people in the back - no one is arguing that names like "Buildawallx" or "Trumplol" are bad - we all agree on these points. We're talking about names like Rainfish which can fall either way. Thanks.
07/10/2018 10:46 PMPosted by Tammya
I'm saying this after meeting literally hundreds of characters (that is not a made up figure), and everyone has an RP addon. I don't like it when someone doesn't have an addon, because their name hovering above their head tells me absolutely nothing about how they appear.
Well, here we're talking opinion. We have a different opinion, and it doesn't make mine better than yours.
...for me, I'd say "a picture is worth a thousand words" and I've picked an appearance and transmog that tells you enough about what I look like (in my opinion) that I probably wouldn't actually add any appearance text to this character. Then again, my Alliance main has a distinctive tattoo, but there are no tattoo options, so yeah, there's room for adding in details.

Of course, the other thing is... the tattoo in question wouldn't be visible in social setting. The only way anyone who met my main would know she had a tat would be to talk to her. Some would argue that most of the things in an *RP addon should actually be learned through talking, rather than just read without interaction.

Another thing in which the notion of an *RP Addon being somewhat contradictory... I've definitely read in this thread that some people think that character name should be entirely OOC, because you can't know someone's name just by looking at them. But, at the same time an *RP Addon can reveal a persons first, middle & last name, their family lineage, the name of their favourite pet, their childhood friends, and an endearing tale about how they once killed a basilisk with a sharpened spoon. I guess everyone puts what they want in their RP tabs; nothing says it has to reveal any information that wouldn't be immediately obvious -it's a tool, and how it's used matters.

Anyways... still opinion here... since none of those addons are supported by Blizzard, and plenty of roleplayers (such as myself) don't use them... then a character's name (what is listed next to their character when they log in) is an "in character" name. I just don't agree that there's any such thing as "out of character names" because there are no official tools to support such a thing.

unrelated...
If the players who were flagged for namechanges had names as innocuous as Rainfish, I do hope you guys (collectively) appeal and get your names back. I'd be curious to know what the reported names were. I mean, it can't be a call-out, because it's your own names, right?
07/10/2018 11:09 PMPosted by Tammya
What is the writer for a character named Cody supposed to do if Blizzard is this strict with the policy?

Come up with a different name.
07/10/2018 11:17 PMPosted by Solaui
You're not even making an argument. You're just parroting information and giving no reasoning for why it does or doesn't work well. In fact I am positive this is just a repost, rather that addressing what's in the quote brackets.

I am making an argument, and it is not a repost. You are just dodging everything that you disagree with so you can keep pretending to have a point.

07/10/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Firekeeper
Is that really the only response you could come up with from what I posted? My point with having names for a while is more about the attachment and establishment that comes with running with the same name for a long time - it becomes your online persona and identity, even if it has *nothing* to do with your character ICly. To have it reported and renamed - what feels, to the player, suddenly - is a jarring and kind of weird experience to have when you've been that for a while.

It's the only response that matters. The name still violates the rules. It doesn't matter that it flew under the radar for a long time. You don't get to ignore a rule just because you didn't get caught early on.
I am making an argument, and it is not a repost. You are just dodging everything that you disagree with so you can keep pretending to have a point.

You literally just described your own actions. I am positive that was a repost, I recognize several of the phrases and your name. I and others have laid out our contention with the naming policy over the past few pages, it's all right there for you to read. Just because you haven't doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
07/10/2018 11:21 PMPosted by Rankin
07/10/2018 11:09 PMPosted by Tammya
What is the writer for a character named Cody supposed to do if Blizzard is this strict with the policy?

Come up with a different name.

Your character can't be named anything common, because it's already taken? That's inane. And so is this policy.
Moreso inane is a guy on a non-RP server trying to tell off roleplayers all because of a policy he only learned about today.
Yep I agree. I've literlaly got suspended 4-5 times in 1 month because of my character names on moon guard that I've had for the past 3-4 years with no problems. I don't mind being suspended for a non RP name as it's fine BUT when I have a whole realm of 110s with non RP names and being forced to name change with suspension is unfair considering the only way to avoid the issue is just buying a name change.... Examples being... Woofwoofwoof, Kmeow, Kittendoodle, kittymeows, kittymeowss... I just don't understand why if I have 6 non offensive non roleplay names that I'm getting punished for 1 name at a time with a ramping offense for each one with no way to avoid it except not logging in or buying a name change. I've gotten suspsnded for the name kittendoodle then log back in and 1 day later get suspended again for 3 days instead of 1 for the name woofwoofwoof I just wish I'd be forced to name change all of my chars at once rather than just being punished 1 at a time for each of them that I've had since early wod.
07/11/2018 01:08 AMPosted by Suspended
I've literlaly got suspended 4-5 times in 1 month because of my character names on moon guard that I've had for the past 3-4 years with no problems.

1) How long you've had the name is irrelevant.
2) Are you honestly surprised that "woofwoofwoof" didn't make the grade on an RP server?
3) Not being offensive isn't the only criteria; the name must not interfere with immersion.

Now, on to something more helpful to you....
4) You should ONLY be getting suspensions if you rename an offending character with a similarly offending name (not offensive, just fails the RP Realm name guidelines). Offenses are linked to your account, not specifically your character. A GM might be seeing that you just had a forced rename, and think you're trying to push your luck by continuing to rename the same character something similarly bad (when it's a different character).
5) Write to the CSM forum, explain what's happened, and see if you can get your bans overturned (although, maybe it's too late for that..?) They could certainly offer you suggestions on how to "fix" your problem with other offending names.
6) You can always try reporting your OWN character's names. If you report your own name, you should be able to explain why you're doing it, and avoid more consequences. As opposed to another player reporting you, and a GM looking at your history and deciding you're a troublemaker with a name problem.

Good luck, and good luck picking better names in the future.
07/11/2018 01:08 AMPosted by Suspended
Yep I agree. I've literlaly got suspended 4-5 times in 1 month because of my character names on moon guard that I've had for the past 3-4 years with no problems. I don't mind being suspended for a non RP name as it's fine BUT when I have a whole realm of 110s with non RP names and being forced to name change with suspension is unfair considering the only way to avoid the issue is just buying a name change.... Examples being... Woofwoofwoof, Kmeow, Kittendoodle, kittymeows, kittymeowss... I just don't understand why if I have 6 non offensive non roleplay names that I'm getting punished for 1 name at a time with a ramping offense for each one with no way to avoid it except not logging in or buying a name change. I've gotten suspsnded for the name kittendoodle then log back in and 1 day later get suspended again for 3 days instead of 1 for the name woofwoofwoof I just wish I'd be forced to name change all of my chars at once rather than just being punished 1 at a time for each of them that I've had since early wod.

You could of opened a ticket and had the names flagged. For future reference.
People who falsely report names because they feel like being tin pot dictators in control of the destinies of other players should get suspended from the game.

This "player" who spends all her time reporting names that rub her the wrong way has posted quite a few threads in the past month that don't just suggest but make it clear she is very unclear on the subjects she attempts to lecture us on.

There is no place for control freakism in this or any other game by self-appointed tyrants.
07/10/2018 07:47 PMPosted by Tuiie
Most people know my stance but it's worth posting again there should be no leniancy ever. get an rp name or get off the rp server. If you arnt going to rp there are plenty other servers to choose from.

Maybe blizzard should offer them free server transfers then. Their is plenty of "RP" servers where people don't even RP on like EmeraldDream for example.

I played on that server for 5 years and didn't see a single player doing any form of RP. Not even a single RP guild advertisement in trade.

Yet after these changes me and many others got to experience people grief reporting names, because they simply didn't agree with you in trade chat, or a dungeon didn't go smoothly.

Instead of punishing people who have had the same name for years, why not help them move somewhere else? I mean do you think it's fair if someone has been on a server for 8 years with the same name. Has 10 max level characters on that server and suddenly has to spend a few hundred dollars to move all their toons and items? Most of the time because someone is just reporting out of grief?

If I'm not purposely going out of my way to fly into the middle of your RP event and ruin it what's the problem. People like you are pety to an extreme. Who sits around in trade for hours reporting someone over something so childish.

I've even helped RPers before in the past. I once had a RP Guild Leader happen to zone in through phasing into an area I was in. I don't remember why we started talking but he asked me if I knew any area's where a dragon was in the open world because he was trying to host an event for his guild. I wasn't sure so I asked 4 guildy's I was in discord with, we all talked about it for a few minutes and gave him a few different locations to try. None of us gave him a hard time and were all happy to help. Guess what at the end of it he said thank you and wasn't offended by my name at all, because he was a reasonable human.

I don't mind disgusting names being reported. However my name Being Hulk Bowgan shouldn't be penalized. What if RP to me is taking on the persona of a Wrestling Hunter, who are you to judge my version of Role Playing? The whole thing is from each person's own perspective and is very questionable. Yet I was forced to name change and then proceeded to spend 110 dollars to transfer realms.

What if I met you in real life and you told me your name was Ishiah and I said no I'm going to call you Fred because I don't believe in religion? Would come off as rather ignorant no? Then you asked me politely to call you by your name and I told you no because it doesn't fit my ideals for what names should be.

If they didn't set these strict rules years ago their is no reason that people who have been playing for a whole decade on the same server should be punished. If it's so unbearable for these make believe artists after 12 years!, then blizzard should help the players move. Alot of people where on these servers before they were even titled under RP, probably before you even started playing.

You should be banned for even saying you dedicate hours of time to sitting around not even playing the game just to report people. Oh wait I guess you're role playing being a scumbag....
We should go back to the days of characters named Ælüné and Lîllî∂n. Moon Guard was much better when people used fancy RP names that looked like the alphabet exploded. Running into someone named Éœøsin never broke my immersion, but nothing breaks my immersion more than an innocuous name referencing a real-world thing in a game full of references to real-world things. Can you imagine how awful it would be to run into someone named Jones while questing in Uldum? No, I'd much rather run into someone named Æœøôö. Bring back fancy RP names!
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Why do you keep blaming these guys for making a fuss and not the guild of busybodies on that server that is causing these issues.

If names are a non issue then what's the big deal with blizzard taking a look at this policy.

Most reasonable people would considered being suspended for a name to be a big deal.
First of all, I already addressed the guild of people. But clearly you didn't read that and just decided to attempt to make them look like victims and as if I'm some sort of bad guy in this.

They're not victims. They're choosing names that don't follow a very open and general naming policy, which is that way so that they can review these names and give people a chance to appeal.

Anyone that's getting suspended because of their name means they didn't follow the rules more than once. A first offense on a character is simply "change the name."

So you're going to defend people who want to do nothing but purposely break the rules over and over to get themselves suspended?

That naming policy isn't a problem. But kudos on the amount of victimization and drama you're capable of adding to this thread.

The thread is suggesting a change to the naming policy and you keep on blaming them for not following the current one and I am creating drama in this thread ? You aren't even discussing the issue.

There wasn't a problem with those names for 4 years until that guild showed up - no one else on that server had a problem with those names. 10s of thousands of people don't have a problem with those names - 10 or so people do. And you can't seem to see where the real problem is.
<span class="truncated">...</span>
Then they should at least take a couple seconds to come up with something that doesn't violate the rules.

man you really are just a snake

get help
Had to jump back in for this one.

So now when someone gives a very simple and logical comment you resort to insults? If you can't be bothered to come up with an actual real argument or response, I suggest you leave and quit making Moon Guard look like it's filled with such disrespectful people.

It isn't difficult to follow a naming policy on an RP server. Thousands do it without issue. And one guild of people-- who will get bored in a week or two-- are not a major problem and will go away, effectively ending this inane argument altogether.

Follow a simple naming policy like so many others can or don't play on an RP server. Period.

<span class="truncated">...</span>First of all, I already addressed the guild of people. But clearly you didn't read that and just decided to attempt to make them look like victims and as if I'm some sort of bad guy in this.

They're not victims. They're choosing names that don't follow a very open and general naming policy, which is that way so that they can review these names and give people a chance to appeal.

Anyone that's getting suspended because of their name means they didn't follow the rules more than once. A first offense on a character is simply "change the name."

So you're going to defend people who want to do nothing but purposely break the rules over and over to get themselves suspended?

That naming policy isn't a problem. But kudos on the amount of victimization and drama you're capable of adding to this thread.

The thread is suggesting a change to the naming policy and you keep on blaming them for not following the current one and I am creating drama in this thread ? You aren't even discussing the issue.

There wasn't a problem with those names for 4 years until that guild showed up - no one else on that server had a problem with those names. 10s of thousands of people don't have a problem with those names - 10 or so people do. And you can't seem to see where the real problem is.
Those names were always a problem. It just took a guild full of bored crazies to finally tell Blizz about it.

And the change you're suggesting isn't a change that should be made, because there is nothing wrong with the current policy and shouldn't be lenient BECAUSE YOU'RE ON AN RP SERVER.

Now I'm out again. Because this thread is ridiculous.