Windwalker PvE Guide for Battle for Azeroth

Monk
08/15/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Hiloskrola
Just gauging by the numbers I have seen.

Didnt they buff monk specific azerite traits before launch?

Just gauging from display numbers it seems people are very wrong. I was comparing Rezans fury versus sunrise technique. The sunrise added a permanent 200 something dmg to every ability. It hits multiple times on FoF which seems amazing for st and aoe.

I got a tiger palm on one piece that more than doubled every tiger palms damage. Adding nearly 700 damage to every tiger palm. It was a solid 4 percent damage increase without the added bok procs. Something like Rezans fury was several ppo at under 1000 damage but the guides rank it way higher.

It puts the monk specials WAY above the generic ones for me. Unless I'm looking at something wrong? Am I missing something?

The baseline SimulationCraft APL is significantly lacking in its ability to use cooldowns and utilize trait strengths. Swift Roundhouse is currently the best ST azerite trait available, Iron Fists is the best AoE trait behind Engi traits, and Open Palm strikes is exceptionally strong for cleave. Sunrise Techniques and Pressure Point are not particularly worthwhile in their current state, and Meridian Strikes is extremely situational.

A reason you may see discrepancy is the fact that your fights are going to generally differ from a 5 minute patchwerk sim, and that I believe icy veins is the only guide that I've shared iterations of a better APL with.
updated with pre raid trinket sims and some elaboration on m+ azerite traits
Updated for trinket tunings, also updated with relative azerite ilvl value. SCK usage elaboration later today.
Turns out Swift Roundhouse was simming lower than it actually was supposed to be, that means it went from BiS to super duper BiS. It also means windwalker sims roughly 2k above any other dps spec

Pre-Raid sim stack
https://imgur.com/NeTx9Te
Swift Roundhouse got hotfix reduced by 33% today, still the best trait for St, just not as much so.
Updated with encounter specific talents/karma usage/etc. Will continuously be updated as progression goes on.
More updates for encounters. Should be accurate through mythic fetid/zul. Mythrax and Ghuun tbd
guide updated for trait nerfs. tldr is go WDP and stack MS/Archive traits.
09/18/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Ww

The meridian strikes one doens't look to bad and who doesn't want some added burst to one of there already bursty cooldowns (to bad it was nerfed in pvp but that was just waiting to be nerfed). Been basically using WDP this whole time as I hated the change to serenity being more yet weaker hits (is there anything at this point that makes it worthwhile at all to use serenity? As it seems like WDP is the best of both worlds unless they nerf it).

What's the value of the raid traits in mythic+? I'd assume their value drops a bit as you don't get the origination array buff outside of it, but would the best bet be like two meridian strikes and one laser or archive (I guess dagger in the back as well but I hate using generic traits)?
09/18/2018 09:36 PMPosted by Ék
09/18/2018 09:26 PMPosted by Ww

The meridian strikes one doens't look to bad and who doesn't want some added burst to one of there already bursty cooldowns (to bad it was nerfed in pvp but that was just waiting to be nerfed). Been basically using WDP this whole time as I hated the change to serenity being more yet weaker hits (is there anything at this point that makes it worthwhile at all to use serenity? As it seems like WDP is the best of both worlds unless they nerf it).

What's the value of the raid traits in mythic+? I'd assume their value drops a bit as you don't get the origination array buff outside of it, but would the best bet be like two meridian strikes and one laser or archive (I guess dagger in the back as well but I hate using generic traits)?

Serenity is technically the same DPS on patchwerk, but cleave/cooldown flexibility make WDP the stronger choice in actuality.

As for the value of raid traits in M+, they are rather lacking. If you can keep up archive say for lower key farming its exceptionally strong, but wipes or combat drops weaken it significantly. Laser Matrix just isn't very good compared to Iron Fists/OPS.

Personally I'd run 1x MS 2x OPS
updated 4 OPS change that went through today
guide updated 4 removal of SEF hotfix. Cancelaura macro is RIP and if your clones are being morons your damage is also RIP as you can no longer cancel the SEF aura
did some general updates, all content should be up to date and encounter specific play should be just about finished for progres raiding.