Time to admit WoD is better?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
I quite liked the themes through the WoD. Leveling was good, music was good, terrain and art were amazing.

The rest though, as it progressed over time, was like having teeth pulled; by what I call the 'shipyard patch', it all fell apart - if it hadn't already by the 'S.E.L.F.I.E patch'.

Egads.

I think following BfA though, people might look upon WoD more fondly.
07/07/2018 03:53 AMPosted by Xerun
07/07/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Tenchu
The casuals though, they will say Legion was better simply because it had more bells and whistles.

This only proves your bias. If you had just left that sentence out, your comment would have come off as intelligent and informed. Instead, you blew it with this asinine comment.
See there's the thing, several posters state as such, in their own words (whether they meant to or not); all I did was summarize without posting an entire blog.

Also, yea, I'm fed up with the stupidity at this point-- There are things that need to change, and the current direction is not helping.
WOD just felt like a filler to hold us over until Legion was finished..
No way was it better than Legion..Not for me anyways..
WOD had some terrific points; e.g., the questing was top notch, we got to see and interact with legendary characters from the game, etc.

It could have been an overall amazing expansion but, unfortunately, it just didn't pan out well in the end.

I imagine the overall state of WOD probably broke the developers' hearts, because they surely were very aware of its obvious failings in spite of the heart and soul that clearly was put into trying to make it great.

Legion is ultimately the better expansion.
WoD sucked. Before Legion I usually would quit a year in the xpac due to boredom but in WoD I was so disappointed I quit about 3 months in and thought I would quit the game for good as I was so outraged by how bad it was. But I decided to give the game another chance in Legion and turns out it was the big time redemption for me as I kept playing for the whole xpac this time, started raiding and rerolled to a more proper main for me (I mained a warlock and I realized it was not for me at the start of Legion).

Hopefully BfA won't disappoint....
WoD was awful, so no.
I preferred WoD PvP and class design over Legion but when it comes to content it’s not even close. WoD was the expansion I unsubbed the longest because of running out of things to do.

WoD overall was not better.
Aw hail no.

Of the two expansions, the best that can be said of WoD is that the questing was great. That's fine, but speaking frankly, by the third or so character I ran through there (and I ran a lot through because there wasn't much else to do) I was pretty sick of it. There were only a few zones and while it didn't feel on rails the first couple of times I went through, by the tenth time, it definitely did.

At this point, I don't think WoD's questing is any better than Legion's.

In contrast to WoD, Legion almost had too much to do at endgame, a much more desirable issue. There are plenty of people who complain about this thing or that-- the excessive RNG has been an irritant, and even though I'm not a PvP person, I know that PvP has been an utter disaster this expansion.
But in the end, I feel that once a little time has passed, Legion will be remembered fondly by the majority of players.
07/07/2018 02:43 AMPosted by Zulan
About the only thing I'll give WoD over Legion was I had a choice to be 2hand Frost. Collecting sucked in WoD. oooo new mou- oh it's another recolor of a pig.

Hey everyone, forget world quests, let's sit in our garrisons and occasionally farm mats and the rare Garrison invasion.

You want content? Well we added the shipyard....which is just the mission table but with boats. Excited yet?
but these followers can die! What's that? You 98% a mission. It sure would be a shame if we sunk your best ship....btw your epic battleship moar katz just got sunk.
07/07/2018 02:29 AMPosted by Gutb
Are we finally ready to just admit it: WoD was better than Legion?

Whatever you are smoking, its rotted your brain to a horrifying degree.

Did you even play WoD?

The one problem with WoD — aside from the fact it represents the post-WoW state of the game — was the lack of content additions. In terms of map design, the questing experience and instancing it was head and shoulders over the lackluster effort that seems to be the hallmark of Legion.

WoD zone design kinda sucked.
The only thing it had going for it compared to Legion is that the zones were much more flat in layout.
Legion's zones aren't much better either, but then again WoW's zones are mostly pretty meh, only a handful are actually well designed across the entirety of the game.

The initial questing was decent, until you left the first zone for your faction, then it also sucked, the story got worse the further into it you progressed, and the quest layout degenerated as you went along too, you can tell that Blizzard rushed out both Gorgrond and Spires of Arak simply by playing them.

Questing in Legion is much better put together, it just lacks the overarching story line within it that WoD's had, its a bunch of different stories stitched together compared to a singular narrative that takes you over multiple regions.

I have no idea what you mean by instancing honestly.
If you mean world phases... then no.

WoD had issues with multi-boxers crashing entire servers simply by congregating all of their characters into a small area, it had issues with over saturation of players in world phases, which caused problems for everyone.
Lets not even mention the total mess that was WoD's launch, all of these problems happened at once, the end result of which was that Blizzard gave EVERYONE free sub time because it was so catastrophically bad

All of these issues in WoD caused Blizzard to knuckle down and ensure they would be fixed by the time Legion launched.
Legion's launch was the smoothest WoW has ever had because of that, and there haven't been any issues of entire servers crashing because of multiboxes or streamers trolling one area.

If however you mean dungeons... also no.
Legion's dungeons are head and shoulders above WoDs.
The bosses are more engaging, they have more relevance to the story line, they flow better, and there is no craptastic train dungeon.

It’s as if Blizz blew thier whole budget on releasing WoD and didn’t have enough left over to release on-going content updates — and so released a budget-minded Legion with massive grind-fests and time gating to pad out gameplay to allow for the regular addition of new content. The problem is no one likes grinding especially when an already meager toolset gets pared down to almost nothing.

Blizzard didn't blow their budget on the first part of WoD at all, they started developing it 6 months later than they should have though.

The lead up to the launch of WoD was a long list of cut content, because the dev's didn't have enough time to make anything.
SoO had already been out for over a year, people were getting restless, and leaving the game in droves.
So much was promised for WoD early on, and then more than two thirds of it was cut.
Fully functional faction capitals at Bladespire Citadel and Karabor Temple? cut.
Tanaan Jungle being a lunch zone? lol nope, cut.
Farahlon zone patch? entire zone was cut before its development got out of initial terrain mapping, with its story partially dropped into other zones and its dungeon moved to Gorgrond.
Reclamation of Shattrath City raid? cut.
List goes on.

Blizzard massivly shat the bed with WoD's development, the entire way though.
The only good thing that came of it was updated character models, and even those were rushed and had to have touch ups to make them work properly.

What little content Blizzard had the time to make for WoD was either crammed into the garrison, or has excessive grind gates on them for lackluster and near totally worthless rewards.
The grinds were so totally pointless that most people had absolutely nothing to do aside for sit in their garrison and make alts to farm gold by sitting in the garrison...

Most of the skill prune also happened for WoD BTW, Legion restructured classes, it didn't really take or add any skills at all.

Setting aside the artwork, better gameplay, larger maps, better instances, etc — the simple fact is that as a story with interesting characters and plot, WoD is much better than Legion.

WoD's story was absolute crap.
The only interesting parts to it were in Frostfire and Shadowmoon, where you first deal with Yrel and Durotan's struggles and help them to overcome them.
As soon as AU Velen dies and the ogres in Bladespire Citadel are kicked out, the story progressively gets worse, degenerating to near total stupidity with how many retcons were needed just to have anything make sense when the expansion was over.
Lets not even mention Grom in HFC and "Draenor is free".
To me classes make or break a expansion. This expansion was so broken class wise. So I guess I have to agree with the OP.
The only thing it had going for it compared to Legion is that the zones were much more flat in layout.

u wot mate

Edited: people complained constantly about being able to get around in WoD, because there were so many roadblocks. Gorgrond? :P

In Legion, even with the variable terrian, we've got tools to get around. Flightmaster's whistle, the thing in Stormheim (which I thought was a lot of fun), goblin glider (which the devs seemed to design around), etc. In WoD it was all about solving ground puzzles and frustrating us at every turn.
Are we finally ready to just admit it: WoD was better than Legion?

Absolutely NOT!

What WoD did to the lore can never be forgiven.
Are we finally ready to just admit it: WoD was better than Legion? The one problem with WoD — aside from the fact it represents the post-WoW state of the game — was the lack of content additions. In terms of map design, the questing experience and instancing it was head and shoulders over the lackluster effort that seems to be the hallmark of Legion.

It’s as if Blizz blew thier whole budget on releasing WoD and didn’t have enough left over to release on-going content updates — and so released a budget-minded Legion with massive grind-fests and time gating to pad out gameplay to allow for the regular addition of new content. The problem is no one likes grinding especially when an already meager toolset gets pared down to almost nothing.

Setting aside the artwork, better gameplay, larger maps, better instances, etc — the simple fact is that as a story with interesting characters and plot, WoD is much better than Legion.

They were both pretty bad.

Is it better?

That's like trying to decide is moldy bread better than sour milk?

How about we say both were bad.
Haha no, WoD was terrible

Personally, I really liked WoD. The leveling experience was amazing.

the simple fact is that as a story with interesting characters and plot, WoD is much better than Legion

This to me is one of Legion’s strongpoints.

However, I still put Legion at the bottom of the barrel for expansions because even in WoD at least I still very much enjoyed playing my class. In Legion, I hated what was done to my class so much I all but quit for over a year.

However I must disagree with this statement.
Seriously OP, what are you smoking?
The only thing, and I mean the one and only thing, I prefer about WoD over Legion was Warrior Gladiator stance.
Not even close.
This threads OP finally proves once and for all that there is such a thing as a wrong opinion,