Was Legion WoW's biggest success?

General Discussion
1 2 3 22 Next
Obviously this will be heavily based on opinion, and people will disagree, but I've noticed something unique about this expansion.

Everyother expansion so far, by the end of the xpac, everyone is hating on it. The standard opinion is usually "Screw this xpac, lets get to the new one". Its typically not until some time has passed and players look back with a clearer head and start judging the xpac as a whole.

(Look at MoP for example. That expansion was mostly hated by most of the community for years. Its only recently that MoP has been getting more love)

Even the most beloved expansions (WotLK, BC) had this end-of-life negativity. (I can hear you typing already, YES this was the case)

Legion is the first time I'veever seen so many people praising the expansion even at the end of it's lifespan.

Does that mean Legion truly was the most successful expansion from a quality perspective? Is it simply the fact that we didn't hit a major content drought that caused players to turn on the xpac?

Just an interesting observation
I'm pretty sure Wrath or BC had many, many more players.
No
Legion had mass appeal, but I don't think its the best by a longshot. I still think wrath and mop did a better job, and would probably put it right below BC. Not bad, had some good ideas, but also had many issues.
You're thinking of Wrath.
07/06/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Tyberim

I second this notion.
WOTLK was the height of the game in every conceivable way. For starters it had over double the players (11 million at its peak, down to 5 million or less now) aside from that it also had the best lore, best villains, and some of the best designed zones in Warcraft to this day.

Ironically only Draenor has zones that can compete with WOTLK.
For me, yes. I joined in Cata, so didn't experience Wrath. I enjoyed Legion a lot and participated in practically everything.
07/06/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Hulkbowgan
07/06/2018 02:24 PMPosted by Tyberim

I second this notion.

Thirded
I think for PVE, Legion was the best-paced expansion in a long time. There was stuff to do from the first day until the last. Even when the group content wound down towards the end there was enough single-player content to keep the people who wanted to keep playing occupied.

However, I also feel like Legion PVP was pretty much an afterthought.
I started in Wrath which was so over rated and think Legion was up there with MOP in terms of playability there was always something to do be it world quests, getting the soon to be removed stuff anything.

Way better then WOD where 99% of the time players sat in the garrisons doing nothing.
Nah, you're thinking of Wrath.

Legion was just what we needed after the unfinished mess that was WoD, though.
Not even close, the only reason it seems that way to some people is because Legion came after the disaster that was WoD.
Legion got plenty of hate early to mid xpac. AP & AK, Leggos, 11 week for a class mount, no flying on argus, PvP wasn't all that hot, ect..

Blizzard unlike in most xpacs, made changes towards to end rather than saying "screw it" and that's what makes it enjoyable in its final days.

Wrath, Mop & Legion are all top tier.
07/06/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Saurfang
07/06/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Hulkbowgan

I second this notion.

Thirded

That might be true, but its hard to compare them right now. Wrath has the benefit of Rose tinted glasses. No one remembers the hate for wrath that was very active at the time (Wrath was too easy, it ruined dungeon game play, LFD killed community interaction, etc, etc)

At the end of Wrath, all anyone was talking about is how the game was better in BC and Vanilla, and how they hoped Cata would fix it.

My main point is Legion is getting near universal praise BEFORE the flaws of the expansion have faded into memory
07/06/2018 02:34 PMPosted by Kaylee

Draenor was a wasted movie tie-in. Blizzard wanted to release a game that aligned more closely with the movie.

The sad part is, Draenor had really beautiful zones and music. It really had a lot of potential but they didn't finish it.
no
07/06/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Dookgrookem
07/06/2018 02:34 PMPosted by Kaylee

Draenor was a wasted movie tie-in. Blizzard wanted to release a game that aligned more closely with the movie.

The sad part is, Draenor had really beautiful zones and music. It really had a lot of potential but they didn't finish it.

It really boggles my mind that they managed to create no original content for that xpac. Tanaan jungle and the rest of 6.2 content was already in the game on launch.

They must have some serious internal problems with that xpac.
No, but considering how MMORPGS are very undesired nowadays by the masses it is still a huge success and improvement for the genre as a whole.
Easily the worst expansion for me, at least WOD have great leveling and arguably better class design (at least better than Legion)

Legion is "If korean developer made WOW" Expansion, lots of shallow and RNG based content