Mass Reported Names on RP Servers?

Customer Support
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
07/10/2018 05:14 PMPosted by Stonebeard
07/10/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Kyshanel
it's unnecessary now
in your "opinion". I play on RP servers and I feel the policy is current and should be enforced.

Your own name is against the current ToS regarding names. The policy forbids two-worded names, which is a problem considering many races in the canon have two-worded names like Bronzebeard or Mechatorque.
07/10/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Kishia
The policy forbids two-worded names, which is a problem considering many races in the canon have two-worded names like Bronzebeard or Mechatorque.

No actually, it doesn't. Policy on RP realms, is 3 or more words. Policy on non-rp realms no longer covers multiple words assuming that the name otherwise meets naming criteria.
Your own name is against the current ToS regarding names.
Then report it...

People like you have threatened me with this many times, and yet, my name still stands.
Your own name is against the current ToS regarding names. The policy forbids two-worded names, which is a problem considering many races in the canon have two-worded names like Bronzebeard or Mechatorque.

That rule generally refers to MORE than two words. As the policy examples show: "Inyourface, Welovebeef, Howareyou, Sixtyseventy". Two word names are more than allowed, especially when they follow the fantasy naming conventions.

A dwarf with the name "Stonebeard" is so far within the rules, that I'm shocked you could even muster up the courage to hit "Add Reply". Stop fabricating stuff just to argue.
<span class="truncated">...</span>in your "opinion". I play on RP servers and I feel the policy is current and should be enforced.

Actually, his name would be appropriate on an RP server. The two-word policy generally refers to non-fantasy words strung together (Technotron) and multiple word phrases (Ilikecake). On the other hand, names like Stonehammer, Ironhoof, etc. would fit in the Warcraft fantasy universe.
07/10/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Kyshanel
90% of Roleplay guilds

Don't make up statistics.

07/10/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Alshor
We aren't sure what names are considered "RP friendly" anymore,

Names that sound like actual names, either real or fantasy. It's not rocket science.
07/10/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Perl
The policy forbids two-worded names, which is a problem considering many races in the canon have two-worded names like Bronzebeard or Mechatorque.

No actually, it doesn't. Policy on RP realms, is 3 or more words. Policy on non-rp realms no longer covers multiple words assuming that the name otherwise meets naming criteria.

The policy reads exactly; "Names that consist of multiple words (For example: Inyourface, Welovebeef, Howareyou, Sixtyseventy)"

I lists three names that have three words, and one name that has two words in it. "Multiple" refers to something that is more than one, be it 2, 3, or 4 and beyond.
All these claims of the policy being "outdated", but how is it beyond you disagreeing with it? Is it because it's almost 20 years old? So is the language policy, so are you saying not cursing is outdated too?

You want to redefine the whole system because you couldn't follow it from the start and now feel attacked. That's what this is coming down to.
07/10/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Vicara
The Roleplaying RP policy is dated, and makes it all the more confusing why it is only recently being enforced the past couple of months.

It isn't been recently enforced, our policies have always been enforced. What has changed over the last few months is that folks are actually having some faith in the system and reporting names and behavior that they feel violates our policies. They and others report a name they feel violated policy and actually see it changed it helps reinforce that and they tend to spread the word. Encouraging others to do the same thing to remove names that they may have felt violated policy for years, but simply never felt it worth reporting.

1) In character/Out of Character

As is common on roleplaying servers, when you roleplay your character cannot obtain knowledge from gameplay which is meta-gaming and frowned upon in the roleplaying community. Meaning in RP the people you have with should have zero knowledge of letters floating above your head representing the in-game name. So it should not matter what in-game name players have as meta-gaming is immersion breaking in itself.

Yes and no. You are trying to apply real world norms to a computer generated environment. Technically speaking in the real world everyone has a unique face and look that if you were introduced, assuming you don't have a horrible memory for names like me, you'd be able to recall their name and call them by it. In a video game there are limited options, the most diverse being gear, that distinguishes people from one another. Thus making it near impossible to do so without the ability to otherwise distinguish who the person is, which is why having a name that can be seen by others is important.

2) RP profile addons

For years we've had roleplaying addons such as MRP, XRP or TRP. With these addons anyone can list whatever name they decide as their roleplaying name. This means people whose name would fall under the RP naming policy can choose roleplaying names for themselves. Which indeed many people I know who would fall under violating the policy do have proper roleplaying names in their profiles.

So use them, nothing is stopping you from doing so. Our policies and guidelines don't cover what you may or may not have filled out in your addon profile. Our policies apply to what you can do in the default client. If you want to use an addon and call yourself by a nickname that would otherwise violates RP policy go for it, but the name you select for your character should otherwise adhere to our policies.

The RP naming policy as a whole should be removed. RP servers should just fall under the normal naming policy. The people who tend to report names do report do so not because it breaks immersion but out of pettiness and not liking certain players or guilds.

An opinion you absolutely do not share with every person who enjoys roleplaying. If you want to play on a non-RP realm, you may role your character there or transfer to it. Folks who want some kind of RP guidelines to help to at least establish that roleplaying behavior is encouraged and have some rules to help enforce that, have a home on these realms.

As for who reports the names? Are there folks who report simply because they are petty or want to cause someone strife? Certainly. But the fact of the matter is, if the name is not deemed to violate RP policy then you'd never know you were reported. If you want to avoid the pettiness of others, pick a name that adheres to our policies and you shouldn't have any issues.

Not saying mistakes aren't made, but that is what the appeals process is for.
07/10/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Kyshanel
07/10/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Thunderwulf

According to whom? Do you understand the concept of Role Playing? You play the character itself. Pretending you're a part of the world. in such a world would you name your kid "Imabaddude"? No, you wouldn't. Would you read a fantasy novel with characters named similarly? Do you see characters named that in game?

I've been role playing on this game for years, so yes, I understand the concept like the back of my hand.

The OOC name of a player is commonly ignored now a days for more than just this reason. People often use the same character to RP different concepts. The name in the addon is what's payed attention to, not the in-game name. If someone had the OOC name "Imabaddude", but used TRP with a real profile, so be it, it doesn't bother me.

Blizzard doesn't support addons. Which you are essentially maintaining.

Actually, it does, if you read the blue post on page one.

World of Warcraft does not include a last name in their naming convention for characters. So adding one into the name itself would generally violate that RP policy. Though much depends on the name.

Straight from the Blue.
07/10/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Kyshanel

Trust me. I'll bet my 34k posts in CS on it.

I'm right. It's okay to have a name consisting of 2 words that otherwise don't violate the policy.

World of Warcraft does not include a last name in their naming convention for characters. So adding one into the name itself would generally violate that RP policy. Though much depends on the name.

Straight from the Blue.

Not covering two word names is NOT the same as not covering last names.

Stop being obtuse. You're wrong. You know you're wrong, and just want to argue.

Straight from the Blue.

Those are 2 very different things.

One is talking about multiword names (Stonebeard) vs having a last name (Stone McMidget).

The blue is saying adding a last name would "GENERALLY", but it depends on the name.

Key word, BUT.

This is why the policy is so vague. Look at how badly you are trying to rule lawyer.

Straight from the Blue.

There's a difference between a compound word and two words. For instance from WoW lore we have Muradin Bronzebeard. That isn't 3 names. That's a first name and a last name that is a compound word
Given that it's a subjective topic, I'm not surprised there's a lot of debate.

Ultimately, there's no supreme hard and fast rule. Blizzard can't see what we put in our RP addons, they can't see if we have named our characters something appropriate in them that adds to the RP ambiance. All they presumably see is the character names that players have made for themselves.

If you want to use a name that doesn't necessarily match up to what your player's name is in RP, then why not use a random WoW-appropriate name?
We've looked through the naming policy every time someone gets their name reported and we still don't know who is and isn't "safe". We've had people openly afk in Dalaran for countless hours with two part names and be perfectly fine, but someone else with a two part name in the same light be reported and banned.

Much depends on what the two parts are. Compound names are mostly allowed, but it is conditional. So names that fit in with the genre tend to be things like Frostshadow, Silverleaf, Stormsurge, etc...

Compound names that wouldn't be, Rogueman, Paladinboy, Bubblehearth. Other samples directly from our policy page (Slipnslide, Robotman, Technotron). Additionally, names that contain titles like Kinggeorge.

We're hoping to get a more straightforward answer regarding the situation, but as the policy currently is we don't know what is and isn't safe.

Honestly, Google rp name generator. One of the first ones that comes up has a number of categories and if you cycle through the various names it should give you a good idea of what kind of names would fit perfectly. Granted, most of those show first and last names, but you can easily just pick one to use for a character's first name.

An Role-Play realm in World of Warcraft is one where characters are encouraged to create and add to the Warcraft fantasy through their choice of names. The more the community contributes to the fantasy, the healthier and more vibrant the realm becomes.

Understand, Alshor, our goal is not to frustrate you or upset and punish players. The goal is to do what we can to create the type of environment an RP realm can be. Usually avoiding names that threaten the fabric of that fantasy works to help do that.
Is Snuffly an okay name? I picked it because my character turns into a bear.
07/10/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Numoni
Blizzard can't see what we put in our RP addons

It's a shame they don't, I've seen some pretty vile things people put on their profiles.
07/10/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Numoni
Given that it's a subjective topic, I'm not surprised there's a lot of debate.

Ultimately, there's no supreme hard and fast rule. Blizzard can't see what we put in our RP addons, they can't see if we have named our characters something appropriate in them that adds to the RP ambiance. All they presumably see is the character names that players have made for themselves.

If you want to use a name that doesn't necessarily match up to what your player's name is in RP, then why not use a random WoW-appropriate name?

Well said