Mass Reported Names on RP Servers?

Customer Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
07/10/2018 06:00 PMPosted by Alshor
We just think that the policy is a bit too strict and maybe a bit too big of a decision for 1-2 Game Masters to decide on based off of one person's report, effectively meaning a minimum of two people can ruin a persons day.

No, a name can generate a ticket for review based on a single report. That doesn't mean that report is why it would or would not be changed, it depends on the name and the guidelines that our staff follow. Our Game Masters don't exist in a vacuum. They have policies and guidelines that govern their decisions. They also have the assistance of other Game Masters, that they often confer with, primarily on names that are more nebulous.

It is also rare that a single person's report would cause a name to be changed immediately unless it is a name that had been previously reviewed and determined to violate policy. In those situations there is a pretty quick turnaround.

07/10/2018 06:00 PMPosted by Alshor
If it really is a community effort to make the Roleplay environment enjoyable for everyone that's a part of it, maybe there should be a system where multiple people have to report a name to get it on a list instead of it just bumping it up a priority list? It feels like it can be awfully manipulated and the Game Master reviewing the potential post may have a different opinion on what is and isn't an RP name, where as if 20+ people were to report a name to get it on a list, then it'd likely be a much more clear cut answer for the Game Master.

It might feel like it can be easily manipulated from an outside point of view, but that isn't how it works. And yes, there are different Game Masters who have differing opinions about what RP is and isn't when it comes to names. As I said though, Game Masters don't exist in a vacuum, they have policies and guidelines that govern their decisions.

Much like the policy page on the Support Site, we have internal documentation that covers many of the guidelines in determining what names may violate policy. They also have veteran's, like myself, who have played on RP realms their entire gaming career who help out in some situations where it might not be clear cut.

As for requiring 20+ people to report a name, that is actually what "Mass Reporting" means. And something that many other players assume is happening when they get silenced or otherwise reported for a bad name. i.e. Person X has 20 members of their guild report character Y, etc...

The system we have in place, including the policies and guidelines that our staff follow is based on years of data that we have been working with in order to determine the best way to recognize potential violations of policy and to enforce it. There is always room for improvement, but this isn't a system in its infancy. It has been in place for a good deal of time. It is just now it seems to be getting more popular and folks figure out that, yes, we are addressing these reports.
07/10/2018 06:23 PMPosted by Stonebeard
Which is based on incomplete or non existent data points.
Actually it's based on nearly three years of interaction with the people of Moon Guard. If you don't have an RP profile, a lot of people won't want to play with you.

07/10/2018 06:26 PMPosted by Vrakthris
The system we have in place, including the policies and guidelines that our staff follow is based on years of data that we have been working with in order to determine the best way to recognize potential violations of policy and to enforce it. There is always room for improvement, but this isn't a system in its infancy. It has been in place for a good deal of time. It is just now it seems to be getting more popular and folks figure out that, yes, we are addressing these reports.

And now that you're addressing them, there's clearly a problem with the policy. Is the name "Cooltiran" okay for a Kul Tiran character? Or no? Because Meryl certainly isn't free.
Quite frankly, the more you talk about this add-on, the more I dislike it.

You should check it out, it's very cool. You can pick different colors for your name and write a character description. I have artwork linked in mine too. :D

I can't imagine you do much roleplaying if this is the first you've heard of this addon, though. It's extremely prevalent in the community, and as Tammy said, most RPers won't take you seriously unless you're using it. Many RP guilds even require that you have it in order to help you interact with their other members at events and such.

It shouldn't be used an excuse for immersion-breaking names like Letseatbeef or Getscrubbed, but I don't think you can criticize other people for "speaking for the RP community" when you seem to be so wildly out of touch with it. :I
07/10/2018 06:18 PMPosted by Tammya
Okay, you don't even RP.

You don't know what I do or do not do in this game.

I have tons of "inappropriate" names: Heat, Wall, Cooltiran, Recruiting, Victim, Weirdo...

I really wouldn't draw much attention to your blatant desire to break the rules in here...

If you don't have an RP profile addon you're literally treated like dirt.

Blizzard can't force others to do what you want. You set your own path in this game, and if you don't want to use an add-on, don't. Accept others if they don't. Be the change you want to see.

Are they really just going to start randomly cracking down on this non issue?

I wouldn't put it past them, especially given what others have said about the "vile" things people put in these profiles, not the mention the whole "last name" feature that seems to be against Blizzard policy.

Using an add-on to end around Blizzard rules is not likely going to end well.

EDIT: My "statistic" is based on actual experience.

Your "statistic" is based on YOUR experience. Not everyone else's. That's the point.

You do not speak for the whole RP community.
07/10/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Melaesia
Again, you don't speak for the entire community. The RP community, in general, has always been MORE rigorous about reporting names that violate policy.

Okay, you don't even RP.

I have tons of "inappropriate" names: Heat, Wall, Cooltiran, Recruiting, Victim, Weirdo... TONS of active RPers have names like this, because it doesn't matter. If you don't have an RP profile addon you're literally treated like dirt. It's never caused a problem. Are they really just going to start randomly cracking down on this non issue?

EDIT: My "statistic" is based on actual experience.

It does matter. Blizzard goes by your in game name. Not an unsupported 3rd party addon
Alright, I'm not even going to try and argue. Come to Moon Guard and try to RP without an RP addon, and get laughed at. End of my argument.
You seem to think you're going to argue your way to being right. You're not. You don't get a vote.
07/10/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Tammya
Alright, I'm not even going to try and argue. Come to Moon Guard and try to RP without an RP addon, and get laughed at. End of my argument.
Who cares? This is about names being flagged, not about snobish RPers.
They're not even snooty RPers. People want to see your profile. That's that. I have the experience, so I'm telling you guys how it is.
07/10/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Tammya

It doesn't matter, Blizzard isn't looking at your name in a stupid RP addon... End of your argument. The name of your actual character in game, not in some addon that Blizzard DOESN'T make, is the only thing that matters. Period.
07/10/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Tammya
They're not even snooty RPers. People want to see your profile. That's that. I have the experience, so I'm telling you guys how it is.
Again...WHO CARES?
Actually, it doesn't matter to RPers.
07/10/2018 06:36 PMPosted by Tammya
Actually, it doesn't matter to RPers.

What doesn't matter to RPers? Blizzard goes by what the in game name is not some name in an addon. That is all that matters, period.
Here's a question. If the in game name doesn't matter? Which you maintain. Several times. Why do you care if you have to change it?
And... I'm saying that Blizzard should sit down with some RPers and ask them what really bothers them. Literally every RPer I know with multiple years of experience has names that are random objects or funny.
07/10/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Tammya
Your argument is a non sequitur at this point. People are basically arguing "Golden Delicious apples are apples" and you're saying "Try eating an orange without peeling it, people will laugh at you!" That's about how much it has to do with discussing the naming policy.

The use of a third-party addon or not has no bearing on the naming policy in Blizzard's sandbox.

07/10/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Tammya
And... I'm saying that Blizzard should sit down with some RPers and ask them what really bothers them. Literally every RPer I know with multiple years of experience has names that are random objects or funny.
Why do you assume that there are no RPers at Blizzard?
07/10/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Thunderwulf
Here's a question. If the in game name doesn't matter? Which you maintain. Several times. Why do you care if you have to change it?

People have connections to a screen name, in game name, or out of character (OOC) name, whereas that might not be a name they use in character (IC) .

Many and developers are RPers themselves. Including Blues in this forum
Right... and the current discussion is pointing out that the policy itself is a pretty dumb thing to enforce these days.
07/10/2018 06:43 PMPosted by Thunderwulf
Many and developers are RPers themselves. Including Blues in this forum

I can tell you with some certainty, and you'll just have to take my word for it, that if a blue RP'd regularly on Moon Guard, they'd know what an RP addon is.

No, they need to enforce the rules. Period. They aren't going to meet with you so that you can try and get around the rules. The naming rules are there for a reason, and they apply to your in game name... it doesn't matter what made up name you have in an add-on, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the naming rules.