Mass Reported Names on RP Servers?

Customer Support
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
07/10/2018 06:44 PMPosted by Thunderwulf

People have connections to a screen name, in game name, or out of character (OOC) name, whereas that might not be a name they use on an in character (IC).
You literally said the in game name doesn't matter

No, I have not. That was my first post in the thread. I'm saying that people like the out of character names they wear around, even if they rp as a different name with addons such as TRP3 or MRP. In game names such as 'rubberfish', do not disrupt roleplay, seeing as there are addons often used to display an IC, or in character name.

While my name is Bookertea OOC, my ic name is not Bookertea. It doesn't harm the roleplay community to have names like this. I believe that's why Alshor posted in the first place. All he seems to be asking for is lenience, because people have attachments to names that go ignored on other realms. I don't see it as a big ask, as someone who roleplays. Someone could have the char name of 'iluvbeefcakes', and I wouldn't have my immersion broken, because it's often the quality of their interaction, or the rp name chosen when interacting that matters over their toon name.

Period.
You're honestly not being very professional right now, Vrakthris.
07/10/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Tammya
Yeah... Picking fights with the staff never end well.
07/10/2018 07:05 PMPosted by Bookertea
Someone could have the char name of 'iluvbeefcakes', and I wouldn't have my immersion broken, because it's often the quality of their interaction, or the rp name chosen when interacting that matters over their toon name.

Again, Booker, that is your opinion. Despite what some individuals claim, that opinion isn't shared by everyone. Certainly not by every RP'er, since the reports that Game Masters are reviewing come from those same RP'ers.

If you wish to see a change to how policies work, you are welcome to post in the General Discussion forum with how you'd like to see it work.
07/10/2018 07:06 PMPosted by Stonebeard
Yeah... Picking fights with the staff never end well.

Uh no, this is a customer service representative, and probably should be less curt with me, especially since he has no idea how the majority of RPers prefer to play.

By repeatedly explaining policy and then providing personal examples when you try to call them out with personal experience as definitive fact? Sounds a lot more like they're doing their job and then some.

He could've just as easily locked this thread pages ago as this isn't a CS issue, but is instead engaging with you and addressing what you're saying.
07/10/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Tammya
Yeah, according to me. Go ahead and fly around Stormwind City on Moon Guard. Count how many in-character people you can spot without an RP addon. I can't find any. Huh, I must know what the hell I'm talking about.

I know Blizzard doesn't support addons, and I'm pointing out that that's dumb, because EVERYONE uses them and doesn't care about the name. I'm not making this up.

You said it again.

The name doesn't matter. Then it doesn't matter if you have to change it.

That said? Blizz will never support 3rd party add ons. Nor should they. If they do, they have to to take responsibility for it. How many of you have vile,vulgar,and disgusting things in this add on?
07/10/2018 07:09 PMPosted by Tammya
...Yeah... Picking fights with the staff never end well.

Uh no, this is a customer service representative, and probably should be less curt with me, especially since he has no idea how the majority of RPers prefer to play.

Nor do you. Stop trying to speak for everyone like you're their elected official. Plenty of RPers including Vrak in this very thread have told you that what you're claiming isn't everyone or even a majority
And you DON'T speak for the majority, which he has told you. This is why RPers have a less than stellar rep.
Please don't try to make any sort of opinion if you have zero experience RPing. I actually do share the opinion of a majority, that your OOC name won't even be paid attention to. I personally have them turned off entirely.
Now you are trolling... good luck with that.
07/10/2018 07:12 PMPosted by Tammya
I actually do share the opinion of a majority,

I must have missed that vote!! Made up statistics are still made up though ;)

Edit:

How is disagreeing with you "not being very professional"? You made up a bunch of stuff and got called out. That's not unprofessional, it's correcting a made up fact.

I wasn't aware that disagreeing and correcting misinformation was unprofessional, Tammya. You are making claims that simply aren't true. You don't speak for 99% of the RP population and regardless of the experience you feel you have had over the years, that does not equate to facts. The only fact is that "in your opinion"....

especially since he has no idea how the majority of RPers prefer to play.

Tammya, you can't factually claim that either.

I can state, in my experienced the RP community is extremely diverse. It ranges from extremely light RP'ers who simply avoid talking about real world subjects to hardcore RP'ers who have created elaborate backstores and storylines for themselves, who often create and participate in RP events as their standard playstyle. Who may or may not use addons to aid them in this venture (which is entirely irrelevant). Even among the various types of RP'ers there is a diversity where they will disagree on what RP is.
07/10/2018 07:15 PMPosted by Vrakthris
It ranges from extremely light RP'ers who simply avoid talking about real world subjects
Incidentally, this is me. I've been on the Landroval server in LOTRO for 11 years, which is the US RP server. I've also played on Wyrmrest Accord in WoW before, and would still be there if I didn't have good friends on Lothar. I don't personally RP, but I don't break character in /say or /e either, and one of the things that I value about RP realms is that they don't have immersion-breaking character names, at least to the same extent as normal realms.

Please stop dismissing my opinion and those who agree with me simply because I don't currently play on an RP realm in WoW. You don't know my history or preferences.
Reading through this seems really combative and uphill as far as issues go and I'm not really sure why the communication is that way. The policy for naming conventions on an RP Server is dated, but not irrelevant, and a derivative on what constitutes as an RP-Friendly name has been and should be relatively relaxed in my opinion.

If someone has the name Tidepod, for instance, I think that's a pretty blatant example of what's not protected by the naming policy. Aside from that?

"Samadams," for example, wouldn't be protected if we went by the assertion that you made here:
World of Warcraft does not include a last name in their naming convention for characters. So adding one into the name itself would generally violate that RP policy. Though much depends on the name.

I'm personally in favor of naming policies being enforced but it seems like a lot of obtuse hypothetical issues are being projected to supplant the crux of the issue; if otherwise harmless names that don't really impede on immersion (but instead are being used to supplement someone's characterization because the name they otherwise would have wanted is locked / invalid (whoa a 14 year old game doesn't always have plain-as-jane name options ???) ), then it seems like a really extraneously enforced situation.

Regardless of addon-support or not, I don't understand why the use of thematic words for an in-game name might be considered a lesser light when compared to some other options that are used by people to get around the fact that Bill or Jacob or Sarah isn't always free is considered such a serious issue— Someone could just as easily look at Vrakthris and go, "Wow what is this unimmersive name? That's a lot of letters just jumbled together!"

Do I actually believe that, though? Not at all; that's ridiculous.

And that's the point—half of this argument on what constitutes an RP-friendly name is ridiculous and the other half is inane, unnecessary, and really not a hill worth dying for on either side.

No this is a Customer Support Agent. Big BIG difference. Also, it is a support agent in a player to player assistance forum. If we give wrong information, Vrak and company point out our errors, so that we can give proper information in the future.

They also look into things to help players, such as deleting mail so they can delete a character, figuring out why a specific situation might cause somebody to not be able to do a quest and help push it along. Situations like that. But by no means are they Customer Service Reps.
The absolute first action I took when I logged into this game many, many moons ago was disable nametags.

I still report names.

Anyway, if the crux of your argument is that Blizzard should officially support an add-on, or a particular feature, then that would be a suggestion.
07/10/2018 07:12 PMPosted by Tammya
Please don't try to make any sort of opinion if you have zero experience RPing. I actually do share the opinion of a majority, that your OOC name won't even be paid attention to. I personally have them turned off entirely.

Cool. I speak for all Dranei and we don't care about OOC. If you have zero experince Dranei-ing then don't try to make this out to be an opinion.

You see how dumb and made up that is? You have no actual stats, or data. You are speaking out of your rear end to try and make claims about a policy of the game sound correct.

Was there a vote held naming you the sole representative of the RP community? Because as far as we can see, you're only speaking for yourself.
07/10/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Thunderwulf
Was there a vote held naming you the sole representative of the RP community? Because as far as we can see, you're only speaking for yourself.

I voted for Slytherin.