Mass Reported Names on RP Servers?

Customer Support
Prev 1 5 6 7
07/10/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Tammya
Alright... first of all 99% of serious roleplayers use an RP addon to show their name.

I feel 100% of that statistic is made up.

07/10/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Tammya
Anyone who doesn't use an addon is going to be literally ignored by most people.

Strange, I guess the folks I interact with didn't get that memo since I don't use any RP addons on my RP realm.

Hi there! As a Moon Guard RPer with about 8 years under my belt, as well as being a GM of what would be considered a "serious" RP guild, I would like to reaffirm Tammy's point here. I think what she is saying is more of a general estimate than a definite statistic.

Most, if not all RPers, will have an add on these days. Although it is not required for my guild personally, it is highly encouraged as it promotes better interaction between not just the guild, but with RP in general. Most guilds that I have interacted with have a similar policy.

Although these days TRP3 is the most common profile add on, when I first started RPing 8 years ago MRP, Gryphonheart Items, and Tongues were popular add ons.

These things would include: customizable names (first, middle, last), titles, an icon, a "current" status, character descriptions, histories...mottoes. They're quite diverse and help to get people immersed in your character and it is quite uncommon that someone opts to not have a profile.

Recently, I was involved with coordinating a 500+ player (cross faction RP/PvP) server event. It was a requirement there that you have a complete TRP/MRP/Roleplaying profile so that we could confirm that you were indeed a RPer--that is how rare it is to not have a profile these days!

I think that if you're an RPer, you should really look into add ons like TRP, as they can greatly increase your immersion. :D I was hesitant about them myself, but they're quite well worth it!
07/10/2018 07:17 PMPosted by Alison
Someone could just as easily look at Vrakthris and go, "Wow what is this unimmersive name? That's a lot of letters just jumbled together!"

Someone could, but that is why bad name reports are reviewed by trained staff who have policies and procedures to govern their decision.

Overall, our staff tends to remove the obviously immersive breaking names. Those that float in a gray area tend to be left alone unless there is evidence to change that decision.

07/10/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Fernfeather
Most, if not all RPers, will have an add on these days. Although it is not required for my guild personally, it is highly encouraged as it promotes better interaction between not just the guild, but with RP in general. Most guilds that I have interacted with have a similar policy.

Thank you for your post, Fernfeather. I appreciate your input.

The fact of the matter is, this thread devolved into discussion of an addon, where that somehow became a relevant point. Truth is, an addon, popular or not, has no bearing on our policies. This was specifically about the names selected for the character within our own systems.

Those should adhere to policy, regardless of if you want to use an addon to give yourself a first, middle and last name.

07/10/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Fernfeather
I think that if you're an RPer, you should really look into add ons like TRP, as they can greatly increase your immersion. :D I was hesitant about them myself, but they're quite well worth it!

I'm not opposed to addons, RP or otherwise, I just tend to be a minimalist when it comes to addons. As someone who has been with Blizzard for some time, I have seen the myriad of strange and unfortunate things due to old or corrupted addons so I tend to run with as few as I can manage.

For transparency, I have checked out the various RP addons. I used one for awhile, but when I had to reset my UI to default after a bit content patch I never picked it back up. Personally, anything that can help players create their own story and share that with others of similar interest is fantastic and I wholeheartedly support it (though I can't officially support the use of addons >.> ).

I feel this thread has gotten off course and while I would like to keep it open so that a more civil discourse could be had I don't believe that is likely.

Thank you all for your lively discussion. :)