So How About A Level Squish?

General Discussion
Level 120 can be daunting to new players and I've talked to multiple friends to try and get them into WoW and when they start their trial accounts they see my level and stop playing shortly after. Even for friends who played through WotLK or Cataclysm it's intimidating for them to see that they have 35-40 levels til max level.

Obviously Cataclysm and MoP tried to stem the tide of inflated leveling numbers but for some reason Blizzard stopped doing expansions 5 levels at a time. With an ilevel squish you'd think the time for a level squish would be now.

Also, for those of you saying leveling doesn't take very long isn't that kind of agreeing with my point? Leveling is inflated for no reason at all and what could be 2-5 levels is stretched out into 10 levels; many of which have no new spells, abilities, or talents. If levels were squished Blizzard could make it so you could get something new every level or every other level, and hence leveling would feel meaningful. Currently however, every level just feels like another bump to get to max rather than a major accomplishment and excitement of getting something new.
no, just because your friends are used to games that give them instant gratification or f2p games doesn't mean WoW needs to change things for them.
The amount of levels is still small in comparison to other games out there available today.
07/13/2018 11:26 PMPosted by Stéampunk
no, just because your friends are used to games that give them instant gratification or f2p games doesn't mean WoW needs to change things for them.

I think that most people would agree that level 120 sounds very high which is why vanilla had a max level of 60 and not 100. Just saying if they're squishing ilevels to make numbers easier to read and less intimidating then they should consider doing it for levels too.
How about no more willy-nilly changes to the game?
07/13/2018 11:28 PMPosted by Empowerments
I think that most people would agree that level 120 sounds very high which is why vanilla had a max level of 60

It takes less time to level to 120 than it did to level to 60 in Vanilla.

I mean seriously if people cannot spend a week or 2 to level to max then this isn't the game for them.
07/13/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Stéampunk
07/13/2018 11:28 PMPosted by Empowerments
I think that most people would agree that level 120 sounds very high which is why vanilla had a max level of 60

It takes less time to level to 120 than it did to level to 60 in Vanilla

With a boost yeah or possibly with heirlooms but its rare that a new player will have heirlooms and they only get one free boost.
07/13/2018 11:28 PMPosted by Drubtong
How about no more willy-nilly changes to the game?
We call that Classic, they'd love you there.
07/13/2018 11:33 PMPosted by Empowerments

With a boost yeah or possibly with heirlooms but its rare that a new player will have heirlooms and they only get one free boost.

Even without a boost and heirlooms its still shorter
I think the worst part about the levels is the massive gaps between them where nothing happens. Once I hit 80 on my mage there was nothing left in my spellbook to learn. Sure there were two talent choices I got to pick later on and my artifact weapon, but the weapon is going to be near useless when BfA hits so between 80 and 120 I get a whole two abilites. In 40 levels all I get is two abilities, so whats the point of the other 38? This isn't exclusive to mages either - as far as I know, there are no classes (minus DH) that are in a different situation once they hit 80.

The 120 levels would be fine if they meant something. The spell unlocks are done in a way that you get something every 2 or so levels up to 50ish but then thin out so you get something every 5-10 levels. Half the levels don't do anything, so whats the point of having them?
07/13/2018 11:41 PMPosted by Seasoning
I think the worst part about the levels is the massive gaps between them where nothing happens. Once I hit 80 on my mage there was nothing left in my spellbook to learn. Sure there were two talent choices I got to pick later on and my artifact weapon, but the weapon is going to be near useless when BfA hits so between 80 and 120 I get a whole two abilites. In 40 levels all I get is two abilities, so whats the point of the other 38? This isn't exclusive to mages either - as far as I know, there are no classes (minus DH) that are in a different situation once they hit 80.

The 120 levels would be fine if they meant something. The spell unlocks are done in a way that you get something every 2 or so levels up to 50ish but then thin out so you get something every 5-10 levels. Half the levels don't do anything, so whats the point of having them?

I do think it was a mistake when they took away having to upgrade your spells. It at meat gave a sense of progression having to fly to a trainer and upgrade your spell to lvl2

Nope.

Because everyone forgets this one thing: During wrath... Max lvl XP? Was over a million.

What is our XP at? Below a million. So what does that tell you. XP has been squished several times over.

It no longer takes a month to level anything. No more needing a small group to get through the process. So its much quicker to get through today that it ever did in 2004 and that is with their adjustments in 7.3.5.
07/14/2018 12:02 AMPosted by Solistrae

Nope.

Because everyone forgets this one thing: During wrath... Max lvl XP? Was over a million.

What is our XP at? Below a million. So what does that tell you. XP has been squished several times over.

It no longer takes a month to level anything. No more needing a small group to get through the process. So its much quicker to get through today that it ever did in 2004 and that is with their adjustments in 7.3.5.

Okay fine even if you assume this is correct doesn't that just further the point? Levels are too high for no apparent reason. We breeze through them with no value being put on individual levels. What could be 2-5 levels is stretched out into 10 levels for no reason and it devalues the leveling experience.
Scaling back leveling would be great since pruning has since removed 100s of spells, our last spell is given at level 80. Start out with a few extra spells, new talents between (example: 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60)

Level Squish doesn't need to reduce leveling time if on Live from 120 back down to 60, the amount of exp from Level 1 - 3 is say 18,000 exp then with the squish going from Level 1 - 2 make the experience 18,000, same amount time, smaller numbers, better queue times, more players to group with, more time for fun!

edit: and fewer brackets for PvP = Better queue times!

BUT . . .

Would need some sort of resolve or up to speed within the old continents, seeing Arthas/Garrosh/Vol'jin/etc doesn't make sense anymore and is confusing.

Would also like to see a revamp to Death Knight starting zone and an option to start at a lower level of 20 similar to Allied Races, having an extra tank option in lower levels would help queue times immensely but DK's spell learning would need to be adjusted for early levels
I think the worst part about the levels is the massive gaps between them where nothing happens. Once I hit 80 on my mage there was nothing left in my spellbook to learn. ....

... The 120 levels would be fine if they meant something. ...

.... Half the levels don't do anything, so whats the point of having them?

If you think the levels after 80 don't do anything, why don't you go straight to Legion content as soon as you hit 80 and play there?
This issue is compounded by the following:

1) Blizzard regards max level as the only level that really matters, so they don't ever bother trying to balance the lower levels, let alone make them fun to play.

2) Zone scaling. This part affects our characters more once we hit the expansions. Since all the zones have a minimum level required, the first zone or two (at most 3) in an expansion are packed, while the rest are rarely even visited by anyone other than achievement junkies. Having a minimum level requirement kind of works for the classic zones simply because there are so very many of them, but once we hit the expansions, choice of which zones to level in are all but eliminated. So what was even the point of scaling the zones if we don't get a choice on which zones to level in? Personally, if we are going to go by brackets instead of levels, I think that each bracket should cover the same number of levels (at least once we hit the expansions). With the way they have designed the brackets, that would mean a level squish would be pretty much required for the 60-80 one (at a minimum).
Whats better, taking 1 million xp to get to level 120.

Or taking one million xp to get to level 60.

HMMMMMMMMMM,a level squish would accomplish nothing.
It would be much more meaningful and satisfying to squish the levels.
07/14/2018 01:07 AMPosted by Kazecap
Whats better, taking 1 million xp to get to level 120.

Or taking one million xp to get to level 60.

HMMMMMMMMMM,a level squish would accomplish nothing.

What's better 6,000,000 HP or 60,000 HP? What's better 950 ilevel or 250 ilevel? Stat squishes and ilevel squishes do the EXACT same thing and so by your argument Blizzard accomplished nothing by doing them. They most certainly make numbers easier to digest and less daunting which is why Blizzard did them.