Is there a solution for Add-ons in Classic?

Classic Discussion
Is there a solution to potentially disable new add-ons that were not in the game during vanilla?

The only possible solution I can think of is Blizzard re-creating the add-ons that were popular (or all of them?) and providing them to download on their website (or just as a base part of the game that you can enable/disable if it's just the popular ones) and disabling the creation of new add-ons and editing of existing add-ons....

Is this possible? Is there a database of add-ons from Vanilla that they could use to re-create them and then just disable any other add-ons from being used?

My guess is that this may be too time-consuming - but it would keep this part of the original integrity of the game in-tact and would avoid any restrictions they may want to add to the creation of new-age add-ons (if they even bother with restrictions to new add-ons at all).
I'm curious what you think new add-ons could do. Blizzard has continually restricted what add-ons are capable of doing over the years. Hell, there were add-ons in vanilla that could straight up automate parts of gameplay.
The de-curse add-on I can remember did automate, but they eventually removed that capability after a few months.

Add-ons like DBM and WeakAuras come to mind. There were not enough mechanics in Vanilla WoW on raid bosses and dungeon bosses and those add-ons would completely trivialize the content.

These videos below show how few add-ons were used early in Vanilla. There were no giant "OMG dodge this!" or "Adds coming in 5 seconds" warnings. Things just happened and people had to react or die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1hXGXJ7Tg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G1pR2MDvyM

This is what it was like during KT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN15JWddH-w

There were a lot more add-ons by the end of Vanilla... hmmm maybe there really isn't much to do with them. Quest helpers were not as advanced as they are now, which could really hurry the leveling experience, but players don't need to use them if they don't want to.

Maybe add-ons being modern really wouldn't hurt as much as I thought.
Addon in the live API do not go nearly as far as the vanilla API would allow.

No reason to limit addons. If you don’t like addons you are free to not use them. Someone else using them does not hurt you.
Yeah the addons of old are long and gone, I don't remember when they added instant quest text as part of the game, but I remember that was my must-have mod of Vanilla, I did not delve too far into other mods expect bar mods until BC, with the skill expansions.

I do think its a good idea if the commonly adapted addons that were eventually added in to the games UI were available from blizzard directly. Quest trackers and the like I never used before it was part of the game, thankfully I remember all my Vanilla quests and quest lines as if i did them yesterday, just need to read the quest text to be back to where I was all those years ago.
Lol blizzard making old add-ons, the jokes here never cease.
I'm only on the "ban-wagon" of Addons, if it plays Characters, for people or generates items/currencies. Otherwise, Addons that help provide Quest Locations (along with Coordinates), Titan Panel, Auctioneer, etc., I feel don't break the game to warrant a ban.
Honestly addons are just not a big deal.

The original game was actually quite good at showing your procs and fight mechanics are so simple that simply turning on reactive aura's covers alot of your issues.
99% of addons will be broken because Blizz is using the modern client and porting 1.12 values to it. The old, vanillalike scripts and addons most likely won't work. Every single addon in classic will be made for classic.

07/11/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Nahyo
Is there a solution to potentially disable new add-ons that were not in the game during vanilla?

No.
I will use mods and you will never know which ones so sit in fear behind your screens being unable to move or act as the knowledge of one in the hundreds of people you see every day will be using a mod and have it erode your very soul <insert evil laugh>.

Seriously i don't understand these posts. Its your game play how you want.
07/12/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Boomsky
99% of addons will be broken because Blizz is using the modern client and porting 1.12 values to it. The old, vanillalike scripts and addons most likely won't work. Every single addon in classic will be made for classic.

07/11/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Nahyo

No.

Tons of retail addons likely will simply work out of the box. The only ones I would really expect to break are add ons that rely on specific spell ids/quest ids/coordinates that are now different.
07/12/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Ziryus
Tons of retail addons likely will simply work out of the box.

Eh,, no.. They would almost all be broken in some way and in some cases crash entirely.

As for making some of the modern stuff work in classic; that's not hard. Some mods will simply be worthless in classic so no one is going to put effort into converting them to work.

Other's may be practical but because of how different the games are in practice, they would take a lot more work to get operating in Classic due to how very different things are.

None of this is because of the client side compatibility issues, but because the game being flat different.. Think of it like two totally different games that share a game engine, because that's what it kinda is.

I am in the process now of developing a couple UI mods for Rogue PVP that I have developed and used over the years, but they will not work in their present form due to how rogues play WoD+ Vs how they play in Classic.

There is an old mod that I intend on rebuilding "pally power" from Vanilla under the new system. Its a simple UI mod, that simplifies the buffing process.
So by removing addons you think Bosses aren't going to be trivialized. Guess they better delete youtube, every guide and bit of data that has been created since Vanilla was live, and ban anyone from playing who's account that's at least 10 years old. Once more, it is IMPOSSIBLE for Blizzard to give us a carbon copy of vanilla from 2005 unless you have a time machine and stay in 2005 to play it.

07/12/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Boomsky
99% of addons will be broken because Blizz is using the modern client and porting 1.12 values to it

It'll take hardly any time to get em working, I doubt they'll have to be remade if anything just updated like a new patch/expansion released. As soon as the API is released addon devs will be working on updating old ones, back porting modern ones, and making new ones. I'm honestly not expecting the API to be the same as modern's, I think the upgrade will be notable, but nothing massive. What a lot of people don't realize it seems is they wouldn't need the original vanilla API to be updated at all in order to get modern addons working in vanilla.

From what I've heard from legitimate original vanilla players is pretty much no addon on private servers existed during vanilla so new ones have been in development to this day and go figure nobody has complained about it. Many post vanilla addons you'll notice are inspired by modern ones though. For instance one of my favorites; luna UF which is basically a clone and dare I say better and more simpler version of shadowed UF.
theres a better solution than disabling all addons or trying(and failing) to disable only certain ones
you could instead have an addon workshop ala bethdesa
all addons by default could be disabled, except for the ones that, according to server-side information, are in the workshop
What is with this hate for addons which were IN VANILLA?
07/12/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Härländ
07/12/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Ziryus
Tons of retail addons likely will simply work out of the box.

Eh,, no.. They would almost all be broken in some way and in some cases crash entirely.

As for making some of the modern stuff work in classic; that's not hard. Some mods will simply be worthless in classic so no one is going to put effort into converting them to work.

Other's may be practical but because of how different the games are in practice, they would take a lot more work to get operating in Classic due to how very different things are.

None of this is because of the client side compatibility issues, but because the game being flat different.. Think of it like two totally different games that share a game engine, because that's what it kinda is.

I am in the process now of developing a couple UI mods for Rogue PVP that I have developed and used over the years, but they will not work in their present form due to how rogues play WoD+ Vs how they play in Classic.

There is an old mod that I intend on rebuilding "pally power" from Vanilla under the new system. Its a simple UI mod, that simplifies the buffing process.

Ban evading idiot proves how little he knows once again.

Bar addons should work with little to no change
Bag addons should work with little to no change
Map addons should work with little to no change
Damage meters should work with little to no change
Chat addons should work with little to no change
Unit Frame addons should work with little to no change
07/12/2018 08:03 PMPosted by Starman
ya thats what im saying. freakin stupid.
07/12/2018 08:57 PMPosted by Bellatori

Ban evading idiot proves how little he knows once again.

Bar addons should work with little to no change
Bag addons should work with little to no change
Map addons should work with little to no change
Damage meters should work with little to no change
Chat addons should work with little to no change
Unit Frame addons should work with little to no change

What? How am I evading anything?

I have written numerous add-ons and know how they work. I can assure you that will not work flawlessly right out of the box.

PS; Who uses bar / bag mods anymore?

I specifically also said;

07/12/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Härländ

That doesn't mean they're completely inoperable, it means they're unreliable at best.

Now; back to my NEW avatar you silly self incriminating fool.
07/12/2018 09:03 PMPosted by Xecks
07/12/2018 08:03 PMPosted by Starman
ya thats what im saying. freakin stupid.

If you guys are interested, Rogue power bars is something I'll have working for Classic, it's a unique little add-on that allows you to track your buffs and debuffs. It's essentially an easier to use lighter footprint power auras like mod.

Don't be fooled by the name, it's not just for rogues, it works for any class.
Do some of you just assume that vanilla didn't have addons like boss mods, ext.? Def shows you didn't play or do any real raiding back then.

We had boss mods and timers. I remember like it was yesterday, no one could have anything automatically go into raid chat or talk in raid chat during a boss fight because the timers came through the raid leader in txt form.

Just about everyone had custom UIs, bag mods, auction house. We even had a quest helper, nothing like it is today but it definitely sped up the process using coordinates and a better description of what to do.

Hell, we even had a Texas Hold em addon. We would play during raid breaks and have tournaments on off nights for in game gold.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5WTPFtyox4

This was my guild killing instructor razuvious, notice the raid leader talk in the chat frame, and center screen his txt pops up kind of like how modern boss mods work now.