Attonement Healing nerfed?

Priest
I noticed a big difference in attonement healing since the patch. Just for leveling dungeons I'm having to use Shadowmend a lot (I'm currently leveling a 44 lightforged priest). I switch to holy and I noticed a huge difference, healing was so much easier. Offensive Penance barely moves ppls health bars. The shield gets eaten up almost instantly. I find spamming smite allows me to attonement heal longer than throwing in an offensive Penance at all because of the debuff smite gives.

Is anyone else's experience similar? Is this the new Disc experience? Because if it is, I don't like it.
Light's judgement no longer works with atonement.
Axing any reason to use them as priests.

Apart from that atonement wasn't nerf, it's the scaling after squish that is a bit off.
07/21/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Larnedris

I noticed that too...complete BS...was suppose to be my Light's wrath replacement. Does anyone know if Holy Nova is giving attonement healing? Doesn't look like it is.
07/21/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Eschatul
07/21/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Larnedris

I noticed that too...complete BS...was suppose to be my Light's wrath replacement. Does anyone know if Holy Nova is giving attonement healing? Doesn't look like it is.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us were looking at Light's Judgement to replace LW.. Probably the exact reason why it had the atonement interaction removed, tbh it's a relief for me because I play Horde and even if I were alliance I don't like Light forged Draenei but I would have felt forced to play one..

For Holy Nova is the same atonement interaction than Divine Star and Halo have, only the first target you hit with it counts for atonement healing.
07/21/2018 05:13 AMPosted by Eschatul
I noticed a big difference in attonement healing since the patch. Just for leveling dungeons I'm having to use Shadowmend a lot (I'm currently leveling a 44 lightforged priest). I switch to holy and I noticed a huge difference, healing was so much easier. Offensive Penance barely moves ppls health bars. The shield gets eaten up almost instantly. I find spamming smite allows me to attonement heal longer than throwing in an offensive Penance at all because of the debuff smite gives.

Is anyone else's experience similar? Is this the new Disc experience? Because if it is, I don't like it.
You get Mastery at 80 and it makes a lot of difference.
I know it's a terrible argument but since it's one blizz themselves are happy to make when they can I will rehash it.

Lower level gameplay doesn't have anyone at their best. You dont have all your tools and your tanks dont have their tools. Until youre playing current content the answer to your woes and issues is to simply not do dungeons. They are actually the slower path to leveling anyway. And a large portion of that is that stuff is overtuned in them still and you are disc.

Disc excels at spitting out a small burst of healing on a ton of people every here and there. Your healing in low level stuff is likely going to revolve around shadow mend a ton (as it did for fresh 110 disc in mythic+).

What makes us strong in raids is what made us meh in dungeons. And as for shielding being stronger. Trust that the day shielding is at wod and mop levels again it will ruin disc and all healers. Shielding being a substitute for healing is such a game breaking concept.

Until power word shield gets the ignore pain or guard treatment where it only absorbs a % of the incoming damage up to it's full absorb amount it will be the ability that can completely ruin all healing balance through the game. No healer should have an absolute monopoly on incoming damage due to being able to preapply a holy shock level shield on the entire group that has 15 seconds to become effective. 10% of someone's max hp is even too much.
07/23/2018 05:03 PMPosted by Flamaßlanca
Shielding being a substitute for healing is such a game breaking concept.

Shield is a heal. Not a substitute for one.

No healer should have an absolute monopoly on incoming damage due to being able to preapply a holy shock level shield on the entire group that has 15 seconds to become effective. 10% of someone's max hp is even too much.

Having a problem with the concept of shields is like having a problem with the concept of HoTs because they're the proverbial gift that keeps on giving (i.e. one gcd = 10 ticks spread evenly over the next few seconds wtf man hows that fair, no healer should have that kind of oligopoly on incoming damage).

It's a trade-off for having different tool-kits.
07/23/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Skendy
Shielding being a substitute for healing is such a game breaking concept.

Shield is a heal. Not a substitute for one.

No healer should have an absolute monopoly on incoming damage due to being able to preapply a holy shock level shield on the entire group that has 15 seconds to become effective. 10% of someone's max hp is even too much.

Having a problem with the concept of shields is like having a problem with the concept of HoTs because they're the proverbial gift that keeps on giving (i.e. one gcd = 10 ticks spread evenly over the next few seconds wtf man hows that fair, no healer should have that kind of oligopoly on incoming damage).

It's a trade-off for having different tool-kits.

I can agree with most of this. That trade off is made possible via fight design. No one will touch a druid in a fight with moderate constant damage going out on everyone all the time.

However. Outside of consistant damaging incoming a 3k shield that will hang around and get used before anything else for 15 seconds is far and away the superior option to a hot that heals for 4or even 5k over those same 15 seconds.

You are right that different styles shine in different kits. But shielding is a monopoly in 90% of content. Once you out gear it that druids hots are 90% overhealing. Especially when you can nail down your penance timing.

Disc is a beautiful spec. And it's not the best at everything at all. I get that. But a well played disc will always have first dibs at the incoming damage. And if that damage is not >than the shield value all of your other healers just twiddle their thumbs waiting for damage to leak through.
I went on the 120 realm on beta and bought all the gear. Which is pretty close to what we will look like after farming the first raid for a couple months. With fortitude were about 153k health and PW: Shield shields for 9367. I stacked mastery and got to 38%. A person with atonement on them shields for 12924. So applying atonement with PW: Shield gets you a shield for ~6.1% of your health. A shield with atonement already on the target will get you ~8.4% of your health. Keep in mind for raids we wont be stacking mastery so the 8.4% is the high end. I don't think we need to worry about shields being too strong.