If a new class is added next expansion, it should be...

General Discussion
...a Engineer class. (edit: You could call it "Mechanic" or "Tinker" also, to avoid confusion with the profession)

I feel it is the biggest thematic gap in WoW's class lineup.

Engineers have been a legitimate presence in the game since Vanilla and a major part of the flavor for Goblins, Gnomes, Orcs, Dwarves, and Draenei.

Engineers could Tank using a mecha-exosuit, perform as ranged DPS using guns and turrets and bombs, or Heal the party with elixirs and high tech medicine. They would need to do a bit to differentiate them mechanically from other classes: i.e. so that turrets aren't just reskinned totems.

Like I said, it feels like the biggest gap in WoW's thematic lineup, and I feel like any other class they could conceive (that isn't an out-of-nowhere Hero class) would struggle to carve out its own thematic niche and end up borrowing bits and pieces from other classes.

But what do you think? What should WoW's next new class be?
What about the profession?
07/23/2018 08:53 AMPosted by Patchs
Like I said, it feels like the biggest gap in WoW's thematic lineup, and I feel like any other class they could conceive (that isn't an out-of-nowhere Hero class) would struggle to carve out its own thematic niche and end up borrowing bits and pieces from other classes.
But wouldn't you consider an Engineer class kind of like the Engineering Profession?

There's a struggle for a niche right there.

Necromancer.
I wouldn't 'mind' a tech based class but I think it needs to be something more than 'engineering: the class.' For example maybe make one spec based on draeni crystal tech.
I would really like to see an engineer class with a "transformer" type mechanical suit. It could be the mechanical version of druid. There could be a tank form, DPS form, and healing form. Instead of animals they could be robots. It could have melee and ranged dps abilities like guns, chainsaw arms, missiles, etc. Healing could be like "potion spray" or something.

It could then have travel forms. A little car for ground, plane for flight, and boat/submarine for water.

I would love a class like that.
Stat squisher class
Commando

Three specs: Bazooka, Flamethrower, Grenade Launcher
Next class will probably be a hero class. I don't think they can add a new class that start at lvl 1anymore because of artifact weapons.
See I'm torn on this.

I do think that Legion makes it difficult to intergrate a base class.

But I also feel that a new base class would be too good a grind for ActiBlizz to pass up, especially if it's one that can't be any of the AR.
07/23/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Ekthor
Next class will probably be a hero class. I don't think they can add a new class that start at lvl 1anymore because of artifact weapons.

They 'could' but yeah I don't see it as likely. The artifacts themselves they could probably do, and a new class would probably have some sort of hub that could work as a class hall. (Monks themselves had one but they decided to burn it and make a new one for them on the turtle.) But I think the main hurdle would be not wanting to write a class campaign story for them and make the followers etc.
07/23/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Meritha
What about the profession?
But wouldn't you consider an Engineer class kind of like the Engineering Profession?

There's a struggle for a niche right there.
I don't see why they couldn't coexist.
I'll one up ur new class. What if we didn't get a new one but instead got actually done specs and classes? That would be the best.
07/23/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Patchs

Confusion. I am not against a mech based class, but I think you need to do away with name overlap.
We have many ranged magic and only one ranged physical so yeah a gun-based ranged could be very viable and what better to do it than a mech suit ? -___-
07/23/2018 08:56 AMPosted by Tiridan
Necromancer.
See Necromancer doesn't seem like it be an entire class on it's own; I feel like it'd struggle to differentiate itself from Death Knights, thematically, especially if it has to form 2-3 distinct specs.

I feel like it's more likely we'd see "Necromancy" as a spec for some kind of Witch class that uses twisted / perverted magics or maybe added as a fourth spec for Death Knights, at some point.
07/23/2018 09:14 AMPosted by Meritha
07/23/2018 09:13 AMPosted by Patchs

Confusion. I am not against a mech based class, but I think you need to do away with name overlap.
Well yeah they could just name the class "Tinker" or "Mechanic".

I'm partial to the second since "Tinker" doesn't feel appropriate for Draenei, Orcs, or Dwarves.
Engineer is already a profession.

They need to add a "battle suit" type class. Have it restricted to like 4 races: gnomes in their mechs, goblins in shredders, dwarves in golems and draenei in vigilants.

Have it be a mid-range melee hybrid. Tank spec and dps spec.
You say Engineer but you mean Tinkerer right?
We need a ranged class that's not leather.
Clearly the next class should be Peasants and Peons. It's been that we've been denied this classic class.