Your favorite Disney movie?

Movies, TV and Entertainment
Prev 1 3 4 5
Pocahontas
The Great Mouse Detective
07/23/2018 04:45 PMPosted by Andrsonsilva
First off, I'm a 25 year old straight male. I work construction, played sports in school, and am simply in no way a hipster. Point being, even I love Disney so I'm going to assume everyone else in their right mind does.

With that said, Pocahontas is just the best animated film ever...even though I hated it as a kid.

There is nothing wrong with living Disney movies, male or female adults alike..my all time favorite is Lion king, has been when I was a kid and even now at age 31
As a fellow animated film Lover Disney has many great classic films that are hard to top.

But for me the number one film, the film that tops them all is Treasure Planet.

It was a box-office bomb in 2002 and it shouldn't have been. Gorgeously animated in a fantastically crafted future setting, it took an old classic story and gloriously modernized it.

I saw it when I was younger and it always struck a cord with me since then. They took this story that had been worn out, done many previous times before including by Disney and made it something new. One of the biggest changes was the fact that Jim didn't grow up with a father.

His father didn't die, he left them. That's not something you see often in films intended for younger audiences, especially a Disney film. Seeing little Jim running after his father tugs at your heartstrings. And then there's that super smooth transition into where he's a troublesome teenager, another change from the novel that works well with the story.

It makes that connection to John Silver that much stronger. Seeing the father, son dynamic slowly playing out makes it all the more believable versus the traditional telling where Jim is younger and grew up with both his parents. It also makes the emotional punch of Jim overhearing Silver basically calling him worthless and stupid that much greater, how Silver never really 'actually cared' about the child.

You'll notice throughout the film Jim's color scheme gets brighter as he starts learning better and opening up more. He starts off with that black jacket but part way through the film it ends up being tied around his waist and he wears a lighter tan shirt. And, by the end of the Adventure in a play on one of the first scenes of the film with a twist, the cops bring Jim in again only this time he's wearing all white, signifying he's grown up and matured on the adventure he went on, and is all the better of a person for it.

The attention to detail in all the design astounds me. The fact they chose to make one of their main characters, John Silver, part CGI, part hand drawn and pulled it off flawlessly is utterly fantastic. Some people don't even notice that throughout the film.

They used a lot of Deep Canvasing for the 3D including the ship and that's why the film had such a large budget, but it really paid off because the film just looks great. It's some of the best the studio has to offer.

There are so many great touches, the fact they went with a 70/30 design in terms of old timey mixed with the futuristic design went as deep as their soundtrack. There are only 2 pop songs in the film and that's an intentional design choice.

It was made by people who cared about the audience and it's just greater for it. I love Treasure Planet and I'll always love Treasure Planet. It's the best take on Treasure Island that I can think of for many, many reasons.

Of course this is hard because there are many great Disney Films. To choose just one is tough. Disney is a household name for a plethora of reasons and one of those reasons is that when they put the effort in, they make quality films that everyone can enjoy.
The opening of The Lion King (Circle of Life) is the single greatest sequence in animation history.
Disney's Robin Hood, but even then the only things I like about it is the main theme song and the Sheriff of Nottingham's voice (voiced by Pat - I bet he got made fun of a lot for this - Buttram. He's probably my all-time favorite voice actor). I'm really not a Disney person otherwise.
10/02/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Pärker
But for me the number one film, the film that tops them all is Treasure Planet.

It was a box-office bomb in 2002 and it shouldn't have been.

That's because Aladdin changed every thing. I think it was for the worst.

Anyways, Disney movies used to be about the story. Now it's about making you laugh first and then the story. That's why Treasure Planet didn't do a good job at the box office.

It was following Emperor's New Groove, Monsters Inc. and Lilo & Stitch. People were expecting to go in there and yuck it up like the did with these movies but instead they actually got an old style animated Disney movie.

I love Treasure Planet. It's one of the few movies since Aladdin that I love. But most kids these days wouldn't sit down and watch Pinocchio or The Fox and the Hound. That's not the kind of movie they were brought up on.
quote="207681185642"]That's because Aladdin changed every thing. I think it was for the worst.

Anyways, Disney movies used to be about the story. Now it's about making you laugh first and then the story. That's why Treasure Planet didn't do a good job at the box office.[/quote]

There are occasionally ones that put the story first, but yeah I notice there's a lot more 'comedy' in general for animation as the general populace continues to reinforce animation is for kids only when really it's a thing that can be for anyone. There are a lot less 'Family' oriented films now.

I don't really mind say Emporer's New Groove, because I do like the comedy for parts of the film, but there's a reason Home on the Range, Chicken Little, and such flopped until Disney made a comeback with Princess and the Frog. I think people almost forget that Disney was considering shutting down their Animation studio in lieu of backing Pixar as their major franchiser for Animation. Anytime Disney itself tried to put anything out it was a mess.

I think Wall-E and UP at the last two Disney films I really, really enjoy and both of those are from Pixar, and also came out last decade. Zootopia is alright but the third act falls apart majorly and every cop movie cliche in the book is thrown in there. Coco had some emotion, but it is pretty weak and has the problem every animated movie does now. The 'Twist' villain that isn't a twist and is readable a mile away or comes so far out of nowhere it ruins the film entirely.

Really ever since Tangled there hasn't been a traditional Disney Villain and there certainly hasn't been a memorable one in quite some time.

10/03/2018 03:10 AMPosted by Tovi
Anyways, Disney movies used to be about the story. Now it's about making you laugh first and then the story. That's why Treasure Planet didn't do a good job at the box office.

There's also the fact they spoiled most of the movie in the trailers, put out a summer movie near Christmas against their own Christmas sequel, and everyone knew that the movie would be released on home media by Spring. People figured out the Disney Schedule and thought 'well why not buy it when it comes out instead of seeing it in theaters'. I don't wanna say Disney intentionally bombed the movie, but it certainly feels that way.

They were bound by a deal made by a previous CEO, Katzenburg, into making it anyway. He told the two directors, go direct these few films for us (Aladdin and Hercules) and if you do it, we'll let you make your pet project they had initially pitched after the box office success that was The Little Mermaid.

Disney itself was changing Ceos and other things multiple times in the 90s. So I kinda feel the current owner didn't like that such a large project was going on in-house for quite a while, greenlit by Katzenburg who was now a major animation competitor, was costly, and it seemed like traditional animation was on its way out the door.

The film was stalled and by the time they got to make what they really wanted, the script and idea they tinkered with for well over a decade, their time had already passed. There were a lot of unfortunate circumstances surrounding the release of the film and I wonder how it would've been had they made that instead of Aladdin.
Hook
Lion King, Tarzan, Hercules, Frog movie (forgot the name), Mulan.
It has to be Aladdin all the way!
Beauty and the beast and The lion king <3
Tie between Tarzan, Sword in the Stone or The Black Cauldron.

09/20/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Apuhthee
The Great Mouse Detective

Also this.
The Little Mermaid! :P
Halloweentown and hocus pocus come to mind right off the bat.