MM PvP Help

Hunter
I'm new to playing hunter in PvP, and I must say, the new MM in BG's is a blast. I find myself wrecking the opposing team with large crits and drive-by's with rapid fire. My issue is with Arenas.

What do I need to do to not be dumpstered in 3 seconds? I typically get in a few shots and get LOS'd or ripped in half by some warrior/DK. I know I need to kite and apply pressure but I must be missing something.

Also, what is with the high rated players having 3 focus macros per talent? Is that really needed for high level play? If so, how are they typically bound? I have a dummy brain that tends to get overloaded when a lot goes on, so any shortcuts or keybind tips would be sweet.

Can anyone recommend an article or video that explains how to MM like a boss in 2's and 3's? Thanks everyone!
07/21/2018 08:12 AMPosted by Cape
I'm new to playing hunter in PvP, and I must say, the new MM in BG's is a blast. I find myself wrecking the opposing team with large crits and drive-by's with rapid fire. My issue is with Arenas.

What do I need to do to not be dumpstered in 3 seconds? I typically get in a few shots and get LOS'd or ripped in half by some warrior/DK. I know I need to kite and apply pressure but I must be missing something.

Also, what is with the high rated players having 3 focus macros per talent? Is that really needed for high level play? If so, how are they typically bound? I have a dummy brain that tends to get overloaded when a lot goes on, so any shortcuts or keybind tips would be sweet.

Can anyone recommend an article or video that explains how to MM like a boss in 2's and 3's? Thanks everyone!

Haven't played Arena in years and haven't BGed in a year or more but I just want to say I love your "Dumpstered" :)

Also 3 focus macros per skill? Maybe 3 Arena Target macros per skill? Not sure if thats what you were asking.
Don’t feel bad. Hunters in arena are really limited by the long cast-time of Aimed Shot when getting trained. All I can recommend is focus on your kiting & CCs because if given a window, Hunters can put out a huge burst with a lot of kill potential.
I have a feeling surv or Bm is gunna be the way to go for arenas, unless they tweak MM or 120 gear makes a huge difference.

MM feels super good in bgs when you can freecast, when we can make use of our mastery and sit back in Narnia dropping bombs on everyone, it's hilariously fun. It does so much damage and the rotation is smooth and feels good to play. When you are getting trained tho it does start to feel pretty bad. All you can do while moving is use rapid on cooldown then just spam arcane shot (not buffed mind you) until you are out of focus then steady shot, which outside of rapid those abilities do very little damage. Which basically means our damage goes straight into the pooper when we get trained, which means we will absolutely get trained 24/7 in arenas.

Now who knows how it will work at 120 with end game gear. It's possible that with level 120 gear with enough haste our casts might be quick enough that it isn't an issue, or maybe azerite stuff will make our damage less reliant on getting off hard cast aimed shots, who knows. But as is, with 80%+ of our damage being completely reliant on getting of a long hard casted ability, I don't see how MM won't be, at best, sub-optimal for arenas. Unless they just make MM burst so crazy high that it's worth the downsides.

One pretty simple idea I had that could help, make precise shots have a chance to proc off of steady shot. It wouldn't need to be a guaranteed proc like off of aimed, and maybe limit it to one stack or something if it would be too strong, but just something to help our damage while moving would be nice.
07/23/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Krombopülos
I have a feeling surv or Bm is gunna be the way to go for arenas, unless they tweak MM or 120 gear makes a huge difference.

MM feels super good in bgs when you can freecast, when we can make use of our mastery and sit back in Narnia dropping bombs on everyone, it's hilariously fun. It does so much damage and the rotation is smooth and feels good to play. When you are getting trained tho it does start to feel pretty bad. All you can do while moving is use rapid on cooldown then just spam arcane shot (not buffed mind you) until you are out of focus then steady shot, which outside of rapid those abilities do very little damage. Which basically means our damage goes straight into the pooper when we get trained, which means we will absolutely get trained 24/7 in arenas.

Now who knows how it will work at 120 with end game gear. It's possible that with level 120 gear with enough haste our casts might be quick enough that it isn't an issue, or maybe azerite stuff will make our damage less reliant on getting off hard cast aimed shots, who knows. But as is, with 80%+ of our damage being completely reliant on getting of a long hard casted ability, I don't see how MM won't be, at best, sub-optimal for arenas. Unless they just make MM burst so crazy high that it's worth the downsides.

Yeah MM is bad at 120 for this reason plus it has the worst utility of any of the specs.

The reason for arena 1-3 macros is so that high rated players can quickly use CCs/Interrupts etc. on the person they don't have targetted or focused. For example, say I'm fighting a warlock, a mage, and resto druid in arena and we get a full freezing trap on the resto druid and stun and try to do damage to the warlock. I have the druid as my focus target, with the warlock targetted, but I notice on the focus frame the mage is trying to cast a polymorph. This way I can simply use my counter shot on his arena frame instead of having to swap my focus and then kick him (requiring two binds) or swap my target and kick him (requiring two binds and for me to stop dps on my kill target). Situations like this mean arena 1-3 macros will maxamize efficiency.
07/23/2018 06:53 AMPosted by Dillon
07/23/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Krombopülos

Yeah MM is bad at 120 for this reason plus it has the worst utility of any of the specs.

The reason for arena 1-3 macros is so that high rated players can quickly use CCs/Interrupts etc. on the person they don't have targetted or focused. For example, say I'm fighting a warlock, a mage, and resto druid in arena and we get a full freezing trap on the resto druid and stun and try to do damage to the warlock. I have the druid as my focus target, with the warlock targetted, but I notice on the focus frame the mage is trying to cast a polymorph. This way I can simply use my counter shot on his arena frame instead of having to swap my focus and then kick him (requiring two binds) or swap my target and kick him (requiring two binds and for me to stop dps on my kill target). Situations like this mean arena 1-3 macros will maxamize efficiency.

I understand the efficiency. How do you use binds for this? I have trouble here figuring it out.

I play using focus targets in world pvp, bgs and 2s.
I have my counter shot on F. I use shift+F to use it on focus target. My idea is to have cc/interrupts on single keys then same keys with shift are for focus targets.

What binds do you use for counter shot arena1,2,3?

As rogue its even worse... sap, cheap shot, kidney shot, blind, shadowstep for arena1,2,3 lol and I dont have binds for it or I could have step and kick only, in case of using kidney I could step arena3 then TAB and kidney using target frame.
07/23/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Kubinator
I understand the efficiency. How do you use binds for this? I have trouble here figuring it out.

I have my counter shot on F. I use shift+F to use it on focus target. My idea is to have cc/interrupts on single keys then same keys with shift are for focus targets.

As rogue its even worse... sap, cheap shot, kidney shot, blind, shadowstep for arena1,2,3 lol and I dont have binds for it or I could have step and kick only, in case of using kidney I could step arena3 then TAB and kidney using target frame.

So generally what I do is I'll have focus and target macros for things like countershot, as well as the arena 1-3 ones. Since SV hunter has comparable bindings for utility to sub rogue, I'll just list what I have for that as my binds so you can get an idea.

1-6 are damage spells, with the exception of intimidation of 4, with a macro that will have my pet attack my target when pressing intimidation with no modifier, and shift to have my pet attack my focus when pressing intimidation.

I have E as focus Interrupt, Shift E to to interrupt my target. Shift 1-3 to interrupt arena target 1-3

F is my tracker's net on focus, shift F does it on target, ctrl q, w, e to interrupt arena target 1-3 respectively.

Y is spider sting for my target, shift Y does spider sting on my focus, and F1, F2, F3 arena arena 1-3 spider sting.

T is wing clip focus, shift T is wing clip target. Then I have ctrl A, S, D for arena 1-3 wing clip (as BM/MM I'd use this more with concussive shot taking the place here).

To target arena1, 2, and 3, I have alt 1-3 bound.
To focus arena 1-3, I have alt qwe bound.

I won't go through every bind I have as that could take a while, but hopefully you can kind of see the idea. I try to use binds for something that can be used on my focus and my target, and anything that involves arena 1-3 I try to get a couple of binds that are all next to each other in a row.
07/23/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Dillon
07/23/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Kubinator

So generally what I do is I'll have focus and target macros for things like countershot, as well as the arena 1-3 ones. Since SV hunter has comparable bindings for utility to sub rogue, I'll just list what I have for that as my binds so you can get an idea.

1-6 are damage spells, with the exception of intimidation of 4, with a macro that will have my pet attack my target when pressing intimidation with no modifier, and shift to have my pet attack my focus when pressing intimidation.

I have E as focus Interrupt, Shift E to to interrupt my target. Shift 1-3 to interrupt arena target 1-3

F is my tracker's net on focus, shift F does it on target, ctrl q, w, e to interrupt arena target 1-3 respectively.

Y is spider sting for my target, shift Y does spider sting on my focus, and F1, F2, F3 arena arena 1-3 spider sting.

T is wing clip focus, shift T is wing clip target. Then I have ctrl A, S, D for arena 1-3 wing clip (as BM/MM I'd use this more with concussive shot taking the place here).

I won't go through every bind I have as that could take a while, but hopefully you can kind of see the idea. I try to use binds for something that can be used on my focus and my target, and anything that involves arena 1-3 I try to get a couple of binds that are all next to each other in a row.

I see. It is similar to what cdew does. I need to come up with binds. Do you sometimes missclick ctrl+a s d when moving?
07/23/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Kubinator
07/23/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Dillon

I see. It is similar to what cdew does. I need to come up with binds. Do you sometimes missclick ctrl+a s d when moving?

Naw, I never misclick them