Mob Scaling

General Discussion
Prev 1 62 63 64 101 Next
07/25/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Ythisens
Hey guys! We've been discussing the continued concerns about the speed of leveling since the pre-patch and we have a couple of updates to share with you.

Since the pre-patch we've made a large number of hotfixes and changes to leveling content, and are continuing to find and fix bugs wherever possible. The intention was never to make leveling slower than it was in 7.3.5.

If you're still finding it slower that it was a couple of weeks ago after those hotfixes, specifics about where you are, what you're fighting, and what spec you're playing would be extremely helpful for identifying any remaining issues.

There is also a bit of weirdness at the moment with mob HP once you reach Legion content. Essentially due to de-powering the Artifact, we needed to make outdoor Legion mobs weaker than earlier content; otherwise, max level players would find themselves suddenly having a much harder time with outdoor world content such as World Quests. The development team realizes that this is resulting in a very jarring experience moving from Draenor to the Broken Isles, and plans to adjust Legion content to be more in-line with where it should be as leveling content in a future patch.

Thank you guys for your continued feedback on this!

I think by now it is fairly obvious that certain areas are broken after the squish.

I am currently trying to level my Death Knight through Draenor by questing in Gorgrond and it is beyond painful even with full heirlooms. Normal ogre mobs in Stonemaul Arena take 3 rotations to kill and even popping cooldowns quest mobs take 30-45 seconds to kill.

I leveled 5 characters to 100 back in WoD and it was pretty smooth the whole way through. Compared to that now it feels worse than leveling to 60 during Vanilla as even back then mobs died quicker.

At this point paying $80 for a level boost would be less painful to my wallet than my sanity by trying to level.
07/27/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Velara
07/27/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Sweetpeaz
This is going to be odd for me, because I can be a very outspoken critic of the developers.

But...they are just employees doing their job. I think that people in the leadership chain have made them do this type of thing, because they can tangibly break down each sub by minutes played to 'exploit their Intellectual Property' (Koticks exact words).

They can look at the formula that they had for WotLK , TBC, Cataclysm and MoP and make that again, but they were told to cut costs to maximize profits. So every change they make, whether it goes against their mission statement or not doesn't matter.

Now...how the bear that cross and live with their own sense of integrity is another item altogether. But these people that post for the company are doing so because they are paid to, and maybe that's all the justification they need. We all have jobs to do.

You are right, of course. Every change made thus far stinks of bean counters.

The game is eating itself at this point.

They've gone a bridge too far.

A thoughtful and excellent post.

Keep in mind one thing. The accountants did not come up with a plan to convert all quest content to level scaling and hand it to planning to code and implement. They did not demand that leveling dungeons be made much harder, nor that all mobs should have their health increased. Accountants did not order Ion to nerf stats on heirlooms after ordering him to release heirloom upgrades, which made people waste a lot of real money buying tokens that they thought were buying them something very different from what they ended up with.

Ion may not have come up with all of these on his own. But the responsibility for its development and failure falls squarely on him, as he failed to exercise due precautions at every step in the process of QA and testing that would have shown this was nowhere ready for implementation.
07/27/2018 07:46 PMPosted by Casina
Does this mean they intend to give the dungeon XP back? Dungeon XP was according to them fine in 7.3.5 (stated goal) so the logic of the post is it should be returned.

Thats one of the main issues at hand with the slow leveling everyone keeps talking about. Ion said in his post a bunch of stuff about all the wrong things. Like scaling, Mob hp and armor ect. None of these are the issue, If people are throwing a fit because they cant 1 shot something then there just being cry babies. Its the amount of xp gains across the board is whats making leveling so slow. They keep nerfing xp gains and then blame the scaling is bad and say oh we dont know what the problem is.
07/27/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Scald
People that likes the lvling now should gtfo, us veterans are no longer interested in the quests anymore.

Then you probably shouldn't be playing an RPG....
Then you probably shouldn't be playing an RPG....

Or maybe, just maybe, the content itself needs an upgrade and revision.

I can pick up and read a book I have read 100 times, and I can do so more slowly than I did before..but I know what it is going to say and Ive memorised it practically..so reading it more slowly isnt going to change the fact Ive already read it cover to cover.
07/27/2018 07:46 PMPosted by Casina
Does this mean they intend to give the dungeon XP back? Dungeon XP was according to them fine in 7.3.5 (stated goal) so the logic of the post is it should be returned.

They actually claimed yesterday that they fixed dungeon XP, but then never elaborated or confirmed if that actually happened as many replied saying it wasn't changed at all.

After reading that post I tried a dungeon and did not get anymore xp than I had previously after the pre-patch. I didn't try again today. Apparently we're supposed to be getting 5x as much as we were/are... so hopefully that fix will actually happen soon.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17620452201?page=48#post-954

This isn't the first time since pre-patch that they've claimed a hotfix fixed something that was not fixed or seemingly changed in any way. I don't know if they're trying to hotfix things and failing and then not correcting themselves or what, but it would be nice to get a blue post correcting various blue posts that turn out to not be accurate.
just que BGs and skirmishes guys until they fix this mob scaling issue

I'm getting 50% exp per BG win at lvl 51 and its like 5-10 minutes per win.
We've just applied a hotfix that reduces the damage dealt by creatures between level 1 and 100 by up to 16%, and reduces their health by up to 24%. Until a subsequent fix (targeted for next week) to update clients with the new data, unit frames may not reflect the change in creature health, but combat should be faster and a bit less lethal across the board while leveling.

Thank you for your patience - we'll continue to monitor both logs and feedback closely, and will make further tweaks if needed.
im gunna try out bgs this level 60-80 grind is intense lol
07/27/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Watcher
We've just applied a hotfix that reduces the damage dealt by creatures between level 1 and 100 by up to 16%, and their health by up to 24%. Until a subsequent fix (targeted for next week) to update clients with the new data, unit frames may not reflect the change in creature health, but combat should be faster and a bit less lethal across the board while leveling.

Thank you for your patience - we'll continue to monitor both logs and feedback closely, and will make further tweaks if needed.

Based Ion! Thanks for the update!
Ion

May I ask if the option for veteran players to speed level is possible?
We've just applied a hotfix that reduces the damage dealt by creatures between level 1 and 100 by up to 16%, and their health by up to 24%. Until a subsequent fix (targeted for next week) to update clients with the new data, unit frames may not reflect the change in creature health, but combat should be faster and a bit less lethal across the board while leveling.

Does this include dungeons and raids?
Okay just did an arathi basin and went from 63% of a level to 9% of the next level 10/10 would recommend

Current content we are still weaker than we should be, but thanks for the legacy change band-aid.

Will this apply to raid bosses too for old content or just world stuff?
07/27/2018 08:47 PMPosted by Zenetta

They actually claimed yesterday that they fixed dungeon XP, but then never elaborated or confirmed if that actually happened as many replied saying it wasn't changed at all.

After reading that post I tried a dungeon and did not get anymore xp than I had previously after the pre-patch. I didn't try again today. Apparently we're supposed to be getting 5x as much as we were/are... so hopefully that fix will actually happen soon.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17620452201?page=48#post-954

This isn't the first time since pre-patch that they've claimed a hotfix fixed something that was not fixed or seemingly changed in any way. I don't know if they're trying to hotfix things and failing and then not correcting themselves or what, but it would be nice to get a blue post correcting various blue posts that turn out to not be accurate.

It's the Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome. I don't do many dungeons, but July 19th's purported hotfix that reduced all world-scaled mobs' hitpoints down "by up to 25%" made no changes that I could tell across 4 characters, so I imagine none of the other hotfixes will do anything either. It's a trick to make us think they did something when they didn't.

People are saying the last time they nerfed leveling (I wasn't here) at the beginning of Legion, months went by where requested feedback was ignored, then the players had to learn from a Forbes magazine article on WoW that the team had zero plans to change leveling.

ROFL. Don't listen to Ion's smoke screen-- nothing will get fixed! He just doesn't want you to cancel your BfA preorders! :P

I'm laughing, but it really isn't funny. And it's so true!

If you feel leveling is already slow between 60-80 why would you raise the health? Are people having troubles and dieing? Because the only thing that kills me is other players in warmode.
07/27/2018 09:22 PMPosted by Alexsage

If you feel leveling is already slow between 60-80 why would you raise the health? Are people having troubles and dieing? Because the only thing that kills me is other players in warmode.

He said reducing the damage and reducing the health, its just worded it weird I think.

no hotfix reducing 60-80 exp required per lvl?
After already leveling 10 alts to max level and trying to do another now to get the heritage gear, I just want it to be much faster and easier to level overall. I've gone through the whole leveling experience enough times already, I've seen all the zones enough, I've seen the expansion storylines enough, I don't care about this change to make it slower cause I've done it enough times. I just want to blast through this content as fast as possible and the recent changes have made it really difficult to enjoy leveling at all; it's slow, tedious, and there's too much downtime.

Running back and forth between quest givers is frustrating and incredibly time consuming at low levels, particularly if they're over half way across the map. Perhaps introduce the more recent expansion quest progression where the following quest automatically appears in your log after question completion rather than having to run back and forth. Or introduce high speed flying at a lower level for players who already have many max level alts. The overall experience in leveling, time to kill mobs, etc is still the same, just cut out all this unnecessary downtime trying to actually level.
leveling 60-80 will never be fixed. dont even expect it