Mob Scaling

General Discussion
Prev 1 81 82 83 101 Next
I was playing through 60-67. I didn't even notice the change. I'm just going to leave it at that.

I'd be here praising the changes if they were noticeable. 60-80 is still really boring, still has no sense of progression at all. I blame the expansions, they're old. I actually "like" 80-90, cata and mop are two great leveling expansions. 90-100 is awful because mobs just have too much health vs the damage the player is doing, period. 100-110 is good enough.

I'm not bored leveling 80-110. I'm really bored going through 60-80.
You guys wont actually fix anything, the 14% is just crumbs to try and fend us off. You won't let the leveling experience be faster and easier because you want to line your greedy !@#$ing pockets with money from boosts. Until you make a serious change for the better, it wont matter how many walls of text your write to appease the masses, your actions are what matters.
07/30/2018 10:07 PMPosted by Seaman
07/30/2018 09:39 PMPosted by Hitomi
No, I'm not overreacting. He is directly responsible for pushing a patch that wasnt tested enough, if at all. A patch that modified the behavior of every creature and spell in the game. To make things worse, this squish came right after the leveling overhaul. That's poor planing, to not call sheer incompetence.

Also, I've said its the worst in years, not ever. Read properly.

Not to say we barely had any feedback over these 2 weeks of chaos, and how fixes are coming at baby steps. They've been ignoring months of feedback about how leveling would get worse, and 8.0 boosted that problem. And after 1 week ignoring the issues and even denying them, he says they dont know where the problem is?

And I'm only talking about the leveling experience. I'm not even talking about current content still being broken. How guilds that had Mythic Argus on farm for months and now cant even down Aggramar. How 2 trash mobs in ToS have more HP than Guldan and can 1 shoot an entire raid with their aoe. 2 weeks. 14 days.

In any job, if you make a huge mess up that enrages many of your costumers, you may get fired. Hell, if I deployed a messy merge of our application, a broken build, I would get the boot the same day. So stop white knighting him.

Everything that Ion has done has to have been approved by someone higher up. This isn't an Ion issue, it's a Blizzard issue.

That's not true.

Changes that are made by higher ups are strategic in nature 'Cut costs by 5%', 'reduce error handling by 7%', etc..

The tactical things, the 'How' it's done is done by Ion and his crew.
07/31/2018 05:50 AMPosted by Verónica
they make the leveling experience crap by increasing the xp needed like 300% in some gaps and removing all the external xp gains, but now they hot fix it 14% becasue they know is broken.. GG blizz GG..

Same deal with mob health. When they increased everything by several hundred percent then say they will hotfix it by easing off 10-20% it's a !@#$ing joke and they know it.

Ion needs to go, period.
Today we celebrate 14 days of patch 8.0.
14 days of excruciating leveling experience, broken end game, broken old content, broken quest rewards.

What did we get in return? First, it was denial "our tests show that everything is fine", than "we are investigating", followed by a childish "sorry, but we dont know where the problem is", followed up by a fake hotfix (10% reduced mob hp) and a placebo hotfix (14% reduced exp required to level).

Werent they so proud how the new stat squish wasnt a manual process? How it was an automated, simple like turning a knob feature? So I guess its time to turn knob the other way around, or remove it completely, until you can figure out how it should work.

Today is the maintenance day. Perfect opportunity to pull back the stat squish and make the game enjoyable again. Allow us to have fun again, while you take your time to do your job properly this time.
I leveled new allied toon. I saw that if you entered a area say WOLK as a level 60, it was rough going (died like 50+ times, taking forever to kill something, if you get 2-3-4 mobs you had to run etc) till I got to level 68 then things smoothed out. Same with going to panda land. It was rough till I hit 85. I think the game is not adjusting for players entering areas early. Just something I have noticed.
Been trying to level my alt Mage since yesterday's "hotfix" and this hasn't changed anything halfway through the 60s and it still feels like pulling teeth.

Which is a big shame because I was going to spend the majority of BFA leveling up the Allied races that I really like since the end game doesn't interest me at all but considering how painful things are right now, I'm just losing all motivation I had.
07/31/2018 01:50 AMPosted by Shadina
told us they intend on fixing it however they can, and you're still not happy that it shows they're listening.

And this is exactly the problem: they arent doing everything they can. they are barely trying. 14 days, all we got was a 14% reduced exp required to level. That isnt even close to a fix, its more like they are mocking us.
07/31/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Hitomi
07/31/2018 01:50 AMPosted by Shadina
told us they intend on fixing it however they can, and you're still not happy that it shows they're listening.

And this is exactly the problem: they arent doing everything they can. they are barely trying. 14 days, all we got was a 14% reduced exp required to level. That isnt even close to a fix, its more like they are mocking us.

I believe Ion said that a quick 'band aid' wasn't a fix. I don't think anybody on here really knows what the ultimate solution is.

But Ion and his group should realize that if it's anything close to 7.3.5, it's not going to sit well with the players.
A bare minimum first step would be to revert changed on heirlooms. Content can be harder and require us to "learn the class" and "experience the older content" or whatever the logic behind this change was, without being slower. Seriously the zones scale now so we wont easily out level zones what was the point of nerfing xp this much on top of that.
The so called fixes are insulting as well if you increase something 300% then nerf it back 14% you have effectively done nothing at all except try to placate people.
I had hopes for this hotfix. Unfortunately either their XP display is still not working correctly (even after maintenance) or their hotfix literally does nothing for 60-61.

I was at 254,300 XP required to go 60-61 yesterday some time before the hotfix happened, logged in today interested to see what it went down to... Still 254,300 XP required to level.

I suppose some levels between 60-80 possibly don't count as being levels between 60-80.
The increase to experience with 7.3.5 was "up to" 60% per level. Plus they made mobs have way too much health and took away all alternative methods to leveling than questing.

That hotfix last night, like the entire concept of increasing leveling time, is a joke.

The scaling the world alone fixed the major, and in my opinion on valid complaint, and that's mobs died too easy.

Making dungeons harder wasn't even a big deal either, but making them worth crap experience by comparison is not. Experience doing dungeons should have went up with all the buffs it was given. Dungeons giving like 3-4 levels before was probably excessive, but there's no reason to ever get less than 1 full level doing a dungeon.

Leveling isn't fun. There are less abilities than ever, a talent every 15 levels, and soon 120 levels to go. It should take no more than a handful of quests to level - but even less in practice getting experience killing things and discovering new areas.

The following could alleviate the problem:

* Meet us in the middle with the experience per level from initial increase. (or drastically increase experience bonus on heirlooms so people who like it the way it is now can preserve the experience)
* Make all the old expansions scale from 60-100(+). The perpetual previous expansion can retain it's structure.
* Buff heirloom power
* Increase dungeon mob and completion experience

So you can keep your awful "do a full rotation to kill something" design intact, but giving the players a choice to feel more powerful with heirlooms. Make it to where you don't have to put in 1-2 work week hours to get something to max level and allow people who want to skip the outdated quest design/pacing a choice in doing so.
Ion simply does NOT care. He's just riding out the storm. 3 months after BfA lands when the subs drop into the toilet then maybe Acti-Blizz will take action.
they do care or they wouldnt nerf mobs / xp needed, 4 times with in a 2 span week.
if they didnt care at all they would have said "deal with nerds!" then moved on to other things
07/27/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Watcher
We've just applied a hotfix that reduces the damage dealt by creatures between level 1 and 100 by up to 16%, and reduces their health by up to 24%. Until a subsequent fix (targeted for next week) to update clients with the new data, unit frames may not reflect the change in creature health, but combat should be faster and a bit less lethal across the board while leveling.

Thank you for your patience - we'll continue to monitor both logs and feedback closely, and will make further tweaks if needed.

I've been leveling up a Lightforged Fury Warrior, at level 54 now, and I had been getting close to 2 levels per hour (it works out to 1.8 or so). I know the Wrath is coming so we'll see what happens when I ding 58 (or 60) but if it's anything like my Void Elf run pre-8, it's going to be painful.

One thing to point out though, after the hot fixes the levels are moving faster and my average seems to be going up as well.

For fun I thought I'd see if I could swing a level 1-20 in less than 2 hours... I was close, made it to 17.

Frankly speaking, the leveling experience under 60 seems to be tolerable but it could be I'm just playing over-tuned classes. I'll post back once I've crossed the 60 mark on my LFD.
^ If subs have tanked after a couple of months, THEN action will be taken. If people complain but still keep playing, well that is OK.
Dungeon exp per mob still feels extremely weird. I'm leveling another alt from 100-110. Just last night I would get ~540 xp per mob in the open world while questing. When I went to the end of zone dungeon Halls of Valor I was getting ~74 xp per mob. Even if you took the 540 and divided by 5 for each person in the group it's 108. Why am I not at the very LEAST getting even 1/5th of open world mob exp from a dungeon mob which is supposed to be more dangerous? The end of dungeon completion xp was fine and resulted in about 1/3 of my total level, but it just felt wrong the whole time getting there.
07/31/2018 07:35 AMPosted by Injustice
Make all the old expansions scale from 60-100(+).

I've suggested that before as well. Similar to the old way of quests going gray mid zone, now you outlevel an expansion range mid zone. This is even more so with the hotfix to reduce xp needed. On my paladin I think he'll go 90-98 in Shadowmoon Valley without seeing any other zones.

By being limited to only do one/one and a half zones per expansion, what you are left with is very disjointed story telling. That may happen anyway to an extent.

But if it was 60-100, I could get an entire expansion's zones in before moving on. Then my next character I could choose to a different one.
07/31/2018 07:35 AMPosted by Injustice
* Meet us in the middle with the experience per level from initial increase. (or drastically increase experience bonus on heirlooms so people who like it the way it is now can preserve the experience)
* Make all the old expansions scale from 60-100(+). The perpetual previous expansion can retain it's structure.
* Buff heirloom power

If they want to keep the world as it is, that's one issue. The amount of XP needed to level is an entirely different matter. They could fix this entire thing by drastically reducing what is required to level.

I mean...to buff mobs by 150+% only to reduce them by 14% is a freaking joke.