leveling after pre-patch, a journal

General Discussion
Hello, I wanted to share my experiences leveling a new character recently. I made this character yesterday morning and have a total /played time of 21 hours, 14 minutes so far, and am currently level 50. I have almost a full set of heirlooms, no rings, but I have the other slots filled in.

I started in the Redridge Mountains and finished all the main story quests, got the achievement, and was somewhere around 30 I think.
From here I wanted to go to the Burning Steppes, but had to get to 40 first, so I did a good bit of the Loch Modan storyline, and also some of the Wetlands to get there. I also had been doing random dungeons via DF every once in a while as well.

Once I hit 40 I went straight to the Burning Steppes and did all the major quests, got the achievement. This got me to level 44 and 3/4 or so.
I really wanted to do the Un'Goro Crater zone next but didn't have an easy way of getting there. I used the portal to get to Darnassus and flew to Ashenvale, and from there I did the long haul mounted ALL the way down to Un'Goro crater.

By the time I did all that running and another dungeon I was basically one mob shy of 45, and that's where I started today. I finished up Un'Goro while still dungeoning, got the quest achievement and got to 50, so now we're up to speed.

I think I've decided on Winterspring for my next zone to do, so it'll take some running from Ashenvale through Felwood to get there.
Here are some thoughts I have about how it's been so far:

-Overall quest mobs seem to be balanced well, I didn't really have many problems except for when I didn't pay attention to he quest details. For example, Redridge Mountains have a set of quests where you have to avoid some elite mobs with a quest item that is handed to you, and I died a few times trying to ignore that part.

-Dungeons take quite a bit more time than I remember them taking. At least for random dungeons, I still think it's worth doing as the xp reward is about 4 quest's worth of XP, and each dungeon usually has some other quests on top of it.

-The dungeon quests are not really well balanced from dungeon to dungeon. The Dire Maul Warpwood Quarter quests were giving about 5800 XP at level 49, and a regular quest was giving 11,000-14,000. The quests in Scholomance all gave at least 10,000.

-Some dungeons still need tuning. As an example, Stratholme Main Gate was very tough, and the group I was with all left except me. I eventually left too after waiting for several minutes. The mobs just had too much health to deal with, and it's hard to pull less than 5-6 mobs in there.

-Tanks/Healers seemed to be struggling in most of the dungeons I was in, or rather healers were running out of mana and then the tanks would go down. In some dungeons like Dire Maul Warpwood today, the Tank was dying at every boss. Not sure if the Tanks are taking too much damage, or if Healers just don't have as much throughput. Bear tanks especially had problems.

-The order you unlock spells seems to have no rhyme or reason. I'm level 50 now and energy regen is just starting to get bearable, it's been pretty painfully slow so far. Outlaw seems to be the better leveling spec, even though I usually don't play it at all. I don't get an AoE spell until 63, which seems like a huge oversight for Rogues. I finally just got Venomous Wounds at 50 which makes dotting up adds in dungeons easier. Before now, I've felt pretty worthless in a dungeon.

-Now that we have scaling all over the world, it would be nice if more flight points unlocked as you level. Running from Ashenvale to Un'Goro took around 35 minutes I think.

-I really disliked not being able to switch talents at will. For low level characters, there shouldn't be a cost for this, OR there should be an inn keeper for every zone. I wasn't able to locate one in either Burning Steppes or Un'Goro Crater.

I might update this more once I get to 60, 70 etc
Do you have a 110? You can buy an heirloom “toy” that unlocks all flightpaths on each continent. Use it on a low level and you gain the flight paths
After reading this I'm really glad I levelled up all my lowbies during the Legion prepatch to 100 and then to 110 via Legion Invasions and rested xp. I gotta applaud you for being systematic in your approach to recording what you're doing while leveling and it looks like a new player would find some challenge and loads of content to explore at the right pace on the way to level cap.

But no I don't think I could personally do that again, I did the level 1 to max a couple of times in Cata (after doing several previously) just to explore the new-old-world and all the changes and it was super slow but I had a good time.

You should definitely update more as you go, you've enough time until the expansion hits to get to max for sure. When I unlock void elf finally in two weeks (been at it for two weeks already) I'm just going to use the 110 boost I got with the preorder because yeah, looks like levelling is "traditionally" paced right now and I can't, just can't ever do that again in this game, it would break my spirit.

I think tanks are having a tough time due all the tuning they've been doing in the dungeons, the last list of hotfixes had so many damage tuning passes for dungeons that it was crazy and I suspect they're just getting started sorting all that out after the stat squish so much of the encounters still may be way overtuned damage wise.
07/24/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Ashnylia
Do you have a 110? You can buy an heirloom “toy” that unlocks all flightpaths on each continent. Use it on a low level and you gain the flight paths

Wow thank you! Somehow I'd never heard about that one, that'll save me a lot of pain.

07/24/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Booya
After reading this I'm really glad I levelled up all my lowbies during the Legion prepatch to 100 and then to 110 via Legion Invasions and rested xp. I gotta applaud you for being systematic in your approach to recording what you're doing while leveling and it looks like a new player would find some challenge and loads of content to explore at the right pace on the way to level cap.

But no I don't think I could personally do that again, I did the level 1 to max a couple of times in Cata (after doing several previously) just to explore the new-old-world and all the changes and it was super slow but I had a good time.

You should definitely update more as you go, you've enough time until the expansion hits to get to max for sure. When I unlock void elf finally in two weeks (been at it for two weeks already) I'm just going to use the 110 boost I got with the preorder because yeah, looks like levelling is "traditionally" paced right now and I can't, just can't ever do that again in this game, it would break my spirit.

I think tanks are having a tough time due all the tuning they've been doing in the dungeons, the last list of hotfixes had so many damage tuning passes for dungeons that it was crazy and I suspect they're just getting started sorting all that out after the stat squish so much of the encounters still may be way overtuned damage wise.

Thanks, I play horde mostly so it does feel different at least going Alliance, doing it mostly for the Heritage armor of course.
I pretty much got an entire level doing Zul'Farrak. There were 4 quests at the start, each worth 10,000xp, plus several bonus objectives. Granted, it took quite a while to get it done, over half an or more. we only wiped once I think, it was a Pally tank and he did a fantastic job.

Playing all specs is much better at 50+, I went sub for this run. Energy regeneration is much better and it feels more like a complete class, though the long shadow dance cooldowns are noticeable- I think the passive for that is at 54. I dinged 52 when I turned in a quest in Winterspring after the run and Eviscerate got a boost. it hits much harder now, looking forward to it.
I finished up Winterspring and dinged 56 on the last quest. Now Shadow Blades is unlocked for Sub which should give it even more burst, and its already pretty ridiculous. And finally Vendetta for Sin, I'll give those a try tomorrow. Not sure where I want to hit 60 at, usually I did the Blasted Lands so I could go straight to Outland, but I might do Felwood or Tanaris instead.
Thanks for the detailed description!! Sounds like it's about the same as it was for me, leveling 5 healers after 7.3.5 but before 8.0. Both Dire Maul dungeons were awful -- I had more groups wipe there than anywhere else.

Healing groups was a struggle until around level 42, when tanks get their mitigation skills. Then it got easier, but got tougher again by MoP.

07/24/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Ashnylia

Those books give you one flight master in each zone. But that's enough. It means from anywhere in Kalimdore you can fly to Un'goro while you are AFK. For me, it meant if I zone was going slow I could just switch to another zone (any zone, on 2 continents) and get there in a few minutes.
Don't forget: from 58 to 80 you can do both Outlands and Northrend zones. If you're like me, you'll avoid quests you have done before as much as possible.

So you have 3 new zones you can start at 58, gradually increasing to 15 zones at 67 (all of them going up to 80). If you like doing whole zones, you can probably do 58-80 using only 3 of them (or less if you also do dungeons).

58, 59, 80 and 90 are overlap levels: you can do zones from the lower range or the higher range. Similarly levels 98,99,100 can be done in WoD or in Legion.
Always went to Outlands as soon as I could get out there, just packed with quests and easy entry level dungeons that pop really quickly. That feeling when in EPL and just about to ding 58 so you can go to outer space!
Current level: 57
/played: 1 day 4 hours 11 minutes

For the next zone I chose Silithus and might be regretting it a little bit. A lot of the quests seem to be focused on killing 10 or more mobs and they seem to have a bit more HP than in Winterspring. I usually have to build up to 5 CP, Eviscerate, and then a few Shadow Dance hits to bring things down. The Twilight guys hit pretty hard, and doing 2-3 at a time I have to blow all my cooldowns. This may be specific to Rogues, there was a Frost mage just obliterating them with Frost Orb/Blizzard combo. There is a quest called Secret Communication that seems to be very annoying - you have to drop 10 Encrypted Texts but the drop rate is VERY low. I killed 10 for another quest and probably at least another 10-15 and only got 3 so far.

I did one of the wings of Stratholme and got a good chunk of XP. It was pretty tough and at least one person died every boss fight, usually the Fury Warrior, but I died once too. It took over 30 minutes to complete, not sure exactly when the dungeon started but I remembered to look at 8, and it was after 8:30 when we finished. Unfortunately, I only grabbed one of the dungeon quests at the beginning so I have like 5 more quests I need to do in there. Not sure if I really want to go through that again. I didn't do much Mythic+ in Legion, but these are harder/longer than any dungeon I did in Legion. Sub feels pretty good right now, it has very good burst. I was doing on average 40K+ on bosses, 10-20K more than the Warrior or Warlock in our group.

I only got one level tonight but am on a working schedule now - the last two days I was off so I could play a whole lot. I'm hoping to get to 60 before Friday but we'll see. I might try to play some more later tonight.
Rogue is slower to level than most things, which is why I only have one. I have found Beast Master Hunter and Protection Paladin to be quite easy and fast and fun to level. Protection Paladin in particular is God mode post-7.3.5.
07/24/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Aedyrdrys
The order you unlock spells seems to have no rhyme or reason. I'm level 50 now and energy regen is just starting to get bearable, it's been pretty painfully slow so far. Outlaw seems to be the better leveling spec, even though I usually don't play it at all. I don't get an AoE spell until 63, which seems like a huge oversight for Rogues. I finally just got Venomous Wounds at 50 which makes dotting up adds in dungeons easier. Before now, I've felt pretty worthless in a dungeon.
This is a sticking point for me.

I think they should take a good look at when each class unlocks certain spells or their functionality so that players have a more enjoyable experience throughout.
07/26/2018 03:16 PMPosted by Patchs
07/24/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Aedyrdrys
The order you unlock spells seems to have no rhyme or reason. I'm level 50 now and energy regen is just starting to get bearable, it's been pretty painfully slow so far. Outlaw seems to be the better leveling spec, even though I usually don't play it at all. I don't get an AoE spell until 63, which seems like a huge oversight for Rogues. I finally just got Venomous Wounds at 50 which makes dotting up adds in dungeons easier. Before now, I've felt pretty worthless in a dungeon.
This is a sticking point for me.

I think they should take a good look at when each class unlocks certain spells or their functionality so that players have a more enjoyable experience throughout.

I definitely agree. For Rogues the energy regen passives and aoe are critical, I think Distraction can wait a few levels.
current level: 60
/played: 1 day 7 hours 50 minutes

Tonight I completed the achievement for Silithus quests and am pretty disappointed, as I only got 3 levels in this zone, and a good chunk of that was from doing dungeons. A lot of the quests were very far apart and there is only one flight point, so I felt like I was just running back and forth. Generally not very interesting quests either, and two were pretty much the same thing - get the encrypted texts from the Twilight guys. I found that the guys in the cave seemed to drop them more for me, not sure if that's just perception or not.

I did Temple of Atal'Hakar tonight and it was nice to see that place again, they had already done a couple bosses when I joined. It was fun and no problems with it, except I have quests for it that I couldn't turn in due to joining the group late.

I left a group for one of the Blackrock Depths wings, they were on the last boss and we died, and it was very hard to figure out how to get back to where we were. I did finish another wing of Blackrock tonight though and it was mostly ok, just slow due to trash taking so long to kill.

Right now I'm flying to Howling Fjord, and I haven't quested in Northrend that much so I'm looking forward to it, and hope to hit 60 before I go to bed.

I saw that they are also planning some more fixes for leveling which I hope will be coming soon since I'm now at the level range most people feel is too slow. I'm glad they at least recognize there is a problem!

edit: I got to 60! Did another wing of Blackrock Depths and dinged killing the Wargs for one of the firsts quests over there. The 60 talent is boring for Rogues - just suvivability, but now I can fly!
Well I also got to 60 on alliance side doing mostly what you are doing as well , character leveled after pre patch

/played : 1 day , 1 hour , 5 minutes

I guess the only difference was you going to very far places to quest and picking winterspring and silithus ( terrible places ) ,

So yeah now It takes at least 1 whole day of played time to get to 60

while as before ( patch 7.3.5 ) It usually took me 20 hours at most.
Yeah, I was picking zones I hadn't gotten the achievements for/hadn't spent a lot of time in to keep me interested. I'll probably do a Zandalari Troll when they come out too, hopefully the issues are worked out by then.
current level: 62
hp: 5.7K
/played: 1 day 9 hours 42 minutes

Tonight I didn't have a chance to play for very long but I got two levels in Howling Fjord. It seems to be a better overall experience here, lots of quests, enemies are not as tough and have less HP. 1.9K for the average Vrykul, it was 3.8K in Silithus for the Twilight. I've completed a couple of the story chapters for the achievement but Howling Fjord has a ton of them, 12 compared to the 5 in Silithus.

I ran Blood Furnace tonight and it was surprisingly easy and fun. We melted the bosses and the trash died pretty quick, though they could silence the Healer at times and people died due to that. There were only 3 dungeon quests but they were easy to get and turn in, and had a lot of XP. I'm already about 15% into 63 now and looking forward to it - I finally get a damn AoE spell!

blood furnace logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9mQ1h3j7Wvxy6pYL/
I'm current level 21 with just starting today, took me about... 4-5 hours to get there on my blood elf, leveling and doing all quests in the blood elf starting zone. I level more quickly by doing 3 dungeons, from the time of unlocked (15) to level 21 in less then 2 hours, rolling with the same group.

I enjoy the pace as I am relaxed while leveling, not trying to rush leveling up as soon as possible but be enough to meet the pre-patch content before the expansion comes out.