1080 - Huge performance gains with these changes

Technical Support
Its not window mode hurting your 1080. Window mode is fine, its more how windows interacts with your windows mode.

There are other issues causing this. More then likely the primary issue is because WoW's engine doesn't benefit from threading and with the new player animations and other enhancements its straining one of your GPU's cores, causing it to pass the temperature guidelines for best peformance.

The way to probably fix this is by over clocking your GPU.

However, if you don't have an over clocked GPU....there are things I've done to work around these problems.

I have a base 1080 ti with 11GB and before these changings my FPS was terrible.

Now I can get a stable 100-200 FPS in BGS and outside of raiding. I've been working for 2 months with Blizzard and Nvidia on these optimization changes for Wow. I still have issues in large world PVP groups but I believe this is due to the new player spell and ability animations. Its just to much information going into 1 core.

I also run the game at setting 7 but with environmental detail at 10 and some other small tweaks. This these changes I can run it at 10 on all max with maybe a 10 FPS reduction but I like how 7 looks.

Before doing any of this first off upgrade to latest Nvidia drivers.

1. In WOW I run the game in 1980x1020 and at 100% rendering, and also before this optimizing you must cap the FPS to 100 or 150 and background FPS to 40. If you don't do this your 1080 will go past the 200 max FPS and scale to 400 FPS, potentially over heating it and then causing over heating stutters.

2. I disable all physic interactions in wow under the advance tab under settings and I disabled the following effects by typing these commands in the game:
/console WeatherDensity 0
/console ffxspecial 0
/console ffxGlow 0

3. You must turn off all antialiasing in the WOW in the basic graphic settings. Doesn't help after all changes are complete. You don't need it either if you have a 1080.

4. Most important is with windows mode to right click "This PC" then go to advance system settings. On advance tab click performance settings and choose adjust windows for best performance. This will greatly improve the game during window mode by removing a lot of pointless windows enhancements.

4. Then go into nvidia's control panel. Choose Use Advance 3d settings. Do not use program settings for WoW. Use only global settings and make sure the following are set to (and if this doesn't help you can always click restore later):
1. Disable Ambient Occlusion.
2. Anisotrphic filtering set to application controlled
3. Antialising Mode = Application controlled.
4. Turn off Antialiasing Transparency.
5. Maximum prerendered frames = Application controlled.
6. Power Management Mode = Prefer Maximum Performance (VERY IMPORTANT)
7. Preferred refresh rate = Highest Available
8. Shader Cache = On
9. Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Opt = On
10. Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias = Allow
11. Texture Filtering - Quality = High Performance (You don't need more then this for WoW. you won't be able to see the differenece unless you are running at 4k. If at 4k run at Quality
14. Threaded Optimization = Off

Then the FINAL touch. This for same reason gave me a 30% FPS increase. I think its because of windowed mode and how windows desktop is effecting color changes.

Under the Display options on your right side go to adjust desktop color settings.
Choose "Use Nvidia settings" and leave all of them on Default. For my monitor I increased Digital vibrance by 5% which reduced some of the shadow/gray scale coloring issues for me.

And of course I think everyone reading this already knows to disable game DVR wherever it is.

Hope this helps the 1080 players.
These are good tips but I rather enjoy ffx glow and weather density. Also msaa is a must because the jaggies really are distracting. I dont have fps problems in window mode btw but I do wish they would return the option for true fullscreen in dx11.
Thanks for the tips, Protohealz!

Hopefully this will help someone out. :)
This looks good Protohealz. Some of these settings I have. Some not - I'll be testing when I get a chance.

This one caught my eye:

4. Most important is with windows mode to right click "This PC" then go to advance system settings. On advance tab click performance settings and choose adjust windows for best performance. This will greatly improve the game during window mode by removing a lot of pointless windows enhancements.
@shazar - This actually resolved jagged edges for me :) I believe some of it was due to abient occulsion, and also part of it due to using to high an texture resolution setting for me. A friend of mine also tried these on his 1080 regular and his FPS went up significantly.

@ibaraius. Thanks couldn't of come up with these changes without blizzard and nvidias help : )) Team work! The desktop color mode and changing that setting to use nvidia helped so much, because I often tab out or run other programs, everytime I nvidia or wow would try to readjust. This standardized the colors and made WoW more seemless in windowed mode.

If you want something like a glow effect you can try raising nvidia vibrance to +55% under desktop color in nvidia control panel. It looks similar but the images are a bit more crisp.
Just wanted to say that I tried this instructions on my MacBook Pro which is 1080 with an external monitor except for the last 2 steps regarding nVidia and Windows instructions which don't apply to me and I see a huge difference. I'm pretty well at 60 frames now as I was before and dips to like 50ish when flying through vegetation. I can totally live with this as yesterday I was literally getting sick from low frames.

Thanks for the post!!!

Info:

High Sierra
2.9 GHz i7
16 GB mem
Radeon Pro 560
Just a clarification here: There is zero benefit at all to running higher FPS than 60 if your display's native refresh rate is 60. All you're doing is wasting CPU and GPU cycles, which just results in more heat and energy usage.

Cap your FPS at your display's refresh rate or just above it if not using external vsync. By doing so you can knock the settings up even higher since you'll actually have more headroom to do so.
Nononono a farkin1080ti should not be required to gimp settings like this to get 60fps at 1080p. That's insanity and if blizzard thinks that's okay they're wrong. I would 100% agree that if this was at 4k it should be reasonable to expect settings tweaks but this is 2018, and 1080p isn't a struggle in any other game for a $700+ video card. Period. Something is wrong within wows implementation or nvidias drivers. It could be nvidias problem for all I know since there is an extremely smaller amount of players that are complaining about performance with amd cards.

All that aside, I run a 1080 rog strix at 4k and can maintain a fairly consistent 60fps in wow by simple setting wow to 10 then dropping liquid detail to good (from ultra) and dropping view distance. Along side the windows/Nvidia tweaks you mentioned.

Not trying to be too negative as I know this post is only trying to help people get a good framerate from their systems with great hardware, it's just seeing a blue and mvp post in here basically agreeing is insane to me. As ion said, this prepatch experience is bad and they should have a higher standard. I'd throw in performance issues with that.
This should actually improve the detail, edges etc and look/feel in the game. Its actually allowing your 1080 to run at its best by not running antialiasing because you don't need it with a 1080 (the rendering is that good) and antialiasing can cause worse end look/feel results.

Its also designed to make the game run better on windows 10.

So far folks who have tried it have seen a better picture and better fps on their 1080.

Its worth a try.
I tried out your changes and I noticed an improvement, so thank you! I don't have much in the way of metrics, but I'm able to pick back up at basically a "7" graphics setting and experience more or less what I had before the prepatch. For reference, I'm on an i7 5k series CPU and Titan X Maxwell.

However.

We should not be having to nuke upper end gen cards like this; the optimization issue and choice to desert fullscreen exclusive is completely on Blizzard. I really don't want to, considering there aren't any alternatives, but I'm borderline ready to let BFA slip into another pass-on expansion. From the pathetic handling of prepatch to the conflicting storylines to the questionable loss of artifacts. I'm salty.

Then again, at least you're not as bad as EA or BlueHole. Yet.
Its amusing that a top end machine has to dumb down the graphics to properly play a 15 year old game in high settings.

There some optimumization issues somewhere within wow or nvidia drivers.
07/25/2018 10:23 AMPosted by Sandybeaver
Its amusing that a top end machine has to dumb down the graphics to properly play a 15 year old game in high settings.

I don't see where you are "dumbing down" anything. Ambient Occlusion is off by default in Nvidia control panel. Antialiasing Transparency is off by default in Nvidia control panel. Threaded Optimization = off. Game runs mostly on one core.

Where do you see this dumbing down?
Maybe he didn't use the right term, but it's definitely dumb that they made changes that are having such a poor impact on so many computers. (see all the posts on this forum) There's definitely no reason that WoW should be the reason I have to overclock a higher end GPU that's less than a year old. I currently can't get my WoW to look anything like it previously did or even play really because of how distorted the visuals are (menus and tooltips taking up the entire screen, blurry, nothing scales properly unless an addon allows me to do it in their settings like bagnon, my quest list only has room for 4 quests because the text is so huge, when I try to play two windowed games it just runs off the edges now ). Previously I could easily resize WoW and run multiple version on screen with no issue. Now I can't even get one to work properly and display everything at a nice size and not run off the screen.

The past weeks have been a huge bummer. When you only get a few hours a day to play and it's constantly down, not working, updating to fix issues, or constantly having issues it just sucks. They finally got the API working just in time to break everyones graphics. It's just very annoying to see the suggestions that users should be spending hours trying remedies that may or may not work and may or may not have it all reset again the next day. People shouldn't even have to know all of this crap just to play a game and I'm sure many will just move on to other games. With how widespread all these issues are it's hard to imagine they never ran into them at any point before.
What I don't like about this is using the general GeForce settings instead of the WoW one.. That will affect EVERY game you run, not just WoW.
07/25/2018 04:52 PMPosted by Thobelnei
What I don't like about this is using the general GeForce settings instead of the WoW one.. That will affect EVERY game you run, not just WoW.

The Nvidia CP has "per app" settings as well as "General settings" which apply to all apps, so that isn't actually the case.
07/24/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Protohealz
Its not window mode hurting your 1080. Window mode is fine, its more how windows interacts with your windows mode.

Yeah, by only playing in Linux (since BC) I had no problem.

I've always been in windowed mode, which runs great.
Any suggestions for running 1440p?
This isn't dumbing down. These settings are actually improving picture quality by optimizing for WoW and reducing your GPU work load to raise FPS. I can run at max 10 in wow with this tuning.