Where are the new continents coming from?

General Discussion
Pardon my newbish question, but where do these new large islands come from?

Vanilla just had 2 continents. Then Northrend came about. I assume it was always there, we just ignored it?
The the new goblin islands came about, I assume from Deathwing?

Pandaria was lost in the mists and suddenly appeared out of nowhere? Or was that Deathwing too?

I never quite grasped where the broken isles came from, though they seem to have as much history as any place, if not more.

How come Zandalar and Kul'tiras are suddenly in the middle of the ocean? Why haven't we seen them before? Is it like an old-timey charting thing? We don't k ow how to properly draw maps of the ocean?
We always knew they were there (except for Pandaria), but were generally not relevant to the problems that were happening at the time so we just ignored them.
These land masses have always been there. Zandalar and Kul'Tiras have been well known to exist for many many years. We've just never any reason to travel to them until now. Same with all of the others.

Pandaria was an exception because it was shrouded in mists for 10,000 years. No one even knew it existed until the Catacylsm lifted the mists, and even then it was only by sheer accident that we ran into it.

But for the BfA ones. Zandalar has always been there, but trolls are generally hostile to everyone so no point in going there. Kul'Tiras used to be closer to the mainland, but the Cataclysm shifted it farther out to sea and for years they had long since severed contact with the Alliance. We just left them alone till now.
We've known about the broken isles since WC3
We've known about Kezan since at least Classic (maybe sooner and I'm just blanking on it)
We've known about Kul'tiras since WC2
We've known about Zuldazar since Classic
Just ignore the fact that the old boat paths went right through them and that they're absurdly huge. It's fine. No logical discontinuities exist. Honest.
That then makes me wonder what other islands or continents are out there that we know about, and just can't see
07/24/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Vitris
Just ignore the fact that the old boat paths went right through them and that they're absurdly huge. It's fine. No logical discontinuities exist. Honest.

If they've been hiding Darkmoon Faire from us all this time, I'm sure they can hide a few more islands...
07/24/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Cubjaeden
That then makes me wonder what other islands or continents are out there that we know about, and just can't see

Well I wouldn't be surprised if they needed more areas for content so we discover the 'other side' of azeroth which has its own continents, though Kalimdor was based off our own Pangea which broke apart when the night elves went full elf and blew up the world.
I do begin to wonder how long it will be before we run out of sea for new islands, and you can get from Kalimdor to Eastern Kingdoms by ground mount.
Always there just not relevant to what WE were doing. If they had it on the map a long time ago, we'd have lots of people dying from fatigue trying to exploit to get there but in reality, the actual land mass was never there. But in Azeroth terms, it was there. Make sense?
According to the WCII Map, found in the instruction manual...

Crestfall: an Alliance Island between Kul'Tiras and Tol Barad
Zul'Dare: an Horde Island between Kul'Tiras and Gilneas
Balor: An island south of the Tomb of Sargeras
When the Pandaren race was introduced back in Warcraft 3 there was said that Pandaria was a peaceful isle, but we never heard of it again until MoP.

Chen Stormstout was the first Pandaren we ever met back in the foundation of Orgrimmar, but we saw nothing about where he did came from.