What I find frustrating as a new player

General Discussion
Let me preface this by saying I am middle-aged and my only previous MMORPG was Everquest back in 1999. I didn't play very long. EQ was a chat room full of guys who desperately wanted to talk IRL. Creepy.

So here's what frustrates me as a new player in WoW:

Leveling does not bother me. To me it IS the game. It was frustrating to have things changed about 5-6 weeks into playing the game. But it is what it is.

Same thing for dungeons. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of dungeons... change. Again, I realize it is what it is.

Here's the overarching problem for me: the game itself does nothing to teach you how to fight in groups, with real people. So many hours spent leveling, with no instruction on how to "git gud" when and where it is most obvious that you lack "skillz." All of these skills and mechanics people expect in LFD and LFR, must be acquired through careful study. But study can only take you so far. There's a world of difference between academic understanding and physical execution. If you're lucky you have friends who can guide you through how to fight. I have started from scratch. There could easily be a tutorial on how to DPS, heal, and tank if you do not have another means of learning.

Another frustration: the venom on this forum. Then again, this seems to be true of all forums on the planet.

So there it is - from a new person - who started this game with no expectations.
You said "Venom in this forum"

You just set yourself up.

Tisk tisk
Oh it'll be there on it's own. Didn't need me.
07/25/2018 07:38 PMPosted by Sharona
Oh it'll be there on it's own. Didn't need me.

Look at you go! Poking the bear!

-inserts bookmark in web browser-
This stuff used to be in the manuals in the physical copies that basically no longer made. After a couple expansions they stopped including them.

You might try this old guide the dungeon companion

https://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Dungeon-Companion-BradyGames/dp/0744006996/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S5N7A3F9KBNSFJAHMK7K
Those are really good points you raise and it is nice to hear from someone besides the bitter and salty old timers on this forum.

Regarding your "git gud" comment, typically the teaching comes from the social component. Are you in a guild? Usually a guild run of any group content would be waaaay kinder to nubiness than a pug with rando emo teens. A good guild can answer all your questions.

If, however, you are like me and very antisocial while in game... google is your friend. Part of the enjoyment of WoW for me comes in all the research I do to try to understand the game more and play my toon better. Read stuff on my phones, watch youtube, etc. I like doing stuff myself. Wowhead is a brilliant resource.

Either way, good luck to you, hope you stick with it!

P.S. - The forums are 90% trash, build up an edge/salt detector and you'll be gtg.
Mid way through WoTLk expansion they implemented a badge that imo sealed the deal for WoW, and literally turned it into a solo game by making everyone super powerful. Thus true endgame was born along with crz. Justice badges could buy you heirloom gear from vendors. I agree with you 100% by trying to learn about your class in a group environment when it's either CC dead or go go go go.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a nice small ACTIVE guild that runs stuff with you. Trying to study from youtube,wowhead or icyveins means nothing if you havn't played long. I doubt I helped any but I'm right there with you =)
Generally speaking most spell descriptions are pretty straight forward with figuring out the rotation, problem though, is when you use looking for dungeon, more gen likely it's all players who've been around the block for a while, unlikely they will stop to help, or learn the fights together.

Best to level on a new server, find some friends who are new while leveling.

But in the end just do what's fun man, if you got questions, ask them to those in your group, you can make some pretty good buds, and learn a lot that way.
I feel like you should be able to figure out most things as you go. Things like "optimal play" don't matter until you get into content that requires it, leveling and basic dungeons are not that content.
07/25/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Sharona
Here's the overarching problem for me: the game itself does nothing to teach you how to fight in groups, with real people. So many hours spent leveling, with no instruction on how to "git gud" when and where it is most obvious that you lack "skillz." All of these skills and mechanics people expect in LFD and LFR, must be acquired through careful study. But study can only take you so far. There's a world of difference between academic understanding and physical execution. If you're lucky you have friends who can guide you through how to fight. I have started from scratch. There could easily be a tutorial on how to DPS, heal, and tank if you do not have another means of learning.

In truth, quite some time ago (we're talking years), Blizzard had talked about implementing a mentoring program of some sort. Honestly, I think it'd be put to good use, but the problem is that people always associate mentoring people with some kind of physical, in-game reward, rather than doing it simply because they want to do it.

You know there's that joke that always goes around involving Vanilla players, and how you'll know someone played in Vanilla because they'll tell you they did so. I hate to do it, but I'm gonna fulfill the stereotype and say it. I played in Vanilla, but something I took with me from my Vanilla experience was the social idea behind it. If you've been playing long enough, it's really easy to find someone who's fresh. They're doing the wrong things, sometimes they lack heirlooms, sometimes they talk a lot (something that shouldn't be a bad thing, but is the sign of someone being fresh), etc, etc.

It's up to more experienced / seasoned players at that point to do one of two things. Either approach said newbie, and be willing to assist / teach, which is what I think should happen. The other alternative (and what happens the most) is people get berated because they're playing the game now instead of playing the game 14 years ago like some of us older pricks.

The best advice I can give on this one as a new player, and I mean no insult to Blizzard when I say this, is to assume you will never be told something officially by Blizzard involving how something should play, how you should do something, how you should perform, or what to do / not to do. It's a fool's errand. Instead, much like you have here and now, ask for help from the forums. I make it a point to answer someone's question if they're new, and I'm wordy (overly so). By the time I'm done, their question will be answered not just once, but twice if I can help it with alternative methods included.

I'll provide my btag: Shad#1132. If you have questions, lemme know. I'll stress that I'm all for teaching, and giving information. I know you don't mention it here, but I do not do run throughs, or carries. Providing information? Always down. The offer's there if you wish to take it.
You're a brave soul, Sharona.

I'm about to take a break when my sub runs out soon, for those reasons, among others.

The misguided, demented, fart-sniffing elitism in LFR will not be missed.
Let me preface this by saying I am middle-aged and my only previous MMORPG was Everquest back in 1999. I didn't play very long. EQ was a chat room full of guys who desperately wanted to talk IRL. Creepy.

Leveling does not bother me. To me it IS the game. It was frustrating to have things changed about 5-6 weeks into playing the game. But it is what it is.

Same thing for dungeons. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of dungeons... change. Again, I realize it is what it is.

Another frustration: the venom on this forum. Then again, this seems to be true of all forums on the planet.

So there it is - from a new person - who started this game with no expectations.

I'd have to agree, the game doesn't really do too well explaining how to work together which I think is why most people tend to go solo for a long time and figure that's just they way things are. As for learning your class that's more up to the player, it come down to learning to play you class the best way you can, which used to be more varried with the older talent trees but is neither here nor there now.

And for the forum toxicity, welcome to General.
A suggestion

Find yourself a friendly guild. Random dungeons strangers indeed have high expectations, but guildies have a vested interest in your enjoyment of the game.
I've long forgotten what it's like to be a new player, so you'll have to explain what you mean by "skills and mechanics" in terms of LFD and LFR.

I'm assuming you're DPS spec. As DPS pretty much your only role in LFD/LFR is to bonk enemies until they die, and move out of bad stuff on the ground. This doesn't change whether you're playing solo or playing in groups.

When it comes to the actual mechanics of fights, WoW shares similarities with many other MMO's. I don't think there are any particularly complex mechanics in 5-man dungeons...it's the same thing where you just kill things and stay out of fire. Sometimes you have to prioritize what you kill, but that's about it.

I think the biggest favor you could do for yourself is to join a newbie-friendly guild. There are a LOT of them out there, and staying with guildies will help you avoid most of the toxicity that you face with randoms.
You said it pretty perfect. If you manage to stick around you’ll find the game, your class, your spec, EVERYTHING will change when you hit max level and start doing more advanced content(everything you do until then is pretty much irrelevant, gear, items etc)

They have a journal to help give you a bit of a clue on instances mechanics. Join an RP server if you want a more mature and friendly community :)

I am pretty sure there are tutorials out there on how to dps, heal and tank in dungeons. There also is a new player section of this forum where many people are completely willing to answer questions and help new players.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/1011644/

And yes, the game doesn't do much in this regard but the dev have grown reliant on a lot of community resources.
Thank you, all of you, for your well thought out responses. It's advice I will heed.

By tutorial I mean fingers on the computer, here's how to pull, heal, etc. An actual step-by-step in game... thing. I have seen both written guides and Youtube guides, and they have helped.

By "skillz" and mechanics I mean the actual nitty-gritty of how to play each role, tank, DPS (melee and ranged), and healer. The things that people who have recently been having trouble with dungeons are told they need to improve.
Find a good social guild. Look for one with a number of members and ask for help. Sometimes they’ll run lowbies through dungeons to show you how it’s done.

Icy Veins and YouTube along with Wow Head are great resources. you’ll have better luck learning dungeons at level cap. DPS with a guild run is the best way to start. Tanking and healing are unforgiving. Then move up to LFR before trying normal runs.
07/25/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Sharona
Thank you, all of you, for your well thought out responses. It's advice I will heed.

By tutorial I mean fingers on the computer, here's how to pull, heal, etc. An actual step-by-step in game... thing. I have seen both written guides and Youtube guides, and they have helped.

By "skillz" and mechanics I mean the actual nitty-gritty of how to play each role, tank, DPS (melee and ranged), and healer.

Like I mentioned in my post, talk to other players for that. In truth? We know how to perform better than Blizzard. An example is that up until just recently, the in-game tutorial tried to teach people to get used to the arrow keys and clicking their spells.

Which is by far the worst possible thing someone could do and it's the worst habit to develop. Like I said, my btag's up there. I tank, I heal, and I dps, and I play at a fairly high level. And I'm always down to teach.
My my my SHARONA! Sorry, I'm old. I had to. Check icyveins.com for tips on your spec and how to play. And practice on the training dummies in Stormwind in the old town district until you feel comfortable grouping again. And yeah, I agree they could do better putting resources ingame to help new people.