BFA will not be WOD 2.0 but Cata 2.0

General Discussion
Why? Well why was WOD hated, no content. I'm pretty sure BFA will have content just expect it to be gated. Good or bad we'll see. Cataclysm wasn't a bad expansion (minus dragon soul but you didn't have to raid that for a year) but just couldn't live up the the legacy of Wrath.

People had been spoiled by dungeon finder and Wrath's easy dungeons that when dungeons suddenly became hard they hated it. Also because it didn't have a cool villain like Arthas.

We have been spoiled by Legion that when something isn't as good or better than it e.g. the pre-patch we hate it. If this pre-patch came after WOD it would have been praised for being the best Pre-Patch to date next to Wrath.

Think about why people are "hyped" for BFA. Because it is new content. Do you really think warfront and island expeditions are going to carry on to future expansions. BFA isn't adding anything new like Legion with Mythic+.

In the end BFA won't be a terrible expansion. It will have flowing content like Cata (minus Dragon Soul). Just not as good as Legion. Legion was too good. BFA will be remembered as Legion without all the cool stuff.
Are you seriously arguing that we should accept a drop in quality from Legion?
07/24/2018 06:28 PMPosted by Extrathicc

Pretty much don't set your bars to high. Every expansion that comes after a good one tends to be crap. Wrath-Cata Mop-WOD and now Legion-BFA.

Of course! It's what Blizzard always does - a great expansion followed by a mediocre one.
Title gore.
Cata tried a bunch of new things including a complete world revamp, whereas the raids were atrocious.

I'd be surprised if BFA's raids were judged as poor as Cata's. The problem is no new development besides pruning and trying to sell Azerite as a band-aid.
Considering Legion was a mediocre expansion, that botched a number of foundational things, and only came out ahead because of bells and whistles and the fact that it followed WoD... Yikes!
07/24/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Dliver
Cata tried a bunch of new things including a complete world revamp, whereas the raids were atrocious.

I'd be surprised if BFA's raids were judged as poor as Cata's. The problem is no new development besides pruning and trying to sell Azerite as a band-aid.

So many people do LFR now a days that how good or bad the raids are don't even matter. Pretty sure if every raid was like ToS just minus mythic KJ and Avatar, Legions till would have been ranked one of the best expansions. WOD had some of the best raids to date but people hate the expac.
07/24/2018 06:37 PMPosted by Berry
Considering Legion was a mediocre expansion, that botched a number of foundational things, and only came out ahead because of bells and whistles and the fact that it followed WoD... Yikes!

Pretty much one of the reasons on why it is praised. WoD was objectively awful.
So if you didn't even like Legion I'd hold onto to getting BfA.
vote with your wallets, like when WoD dropped to 800k subs, that lit a fire under them
07/24/2018 06:41 PMPosted by Édgelord

Spoiler: I bought it the day pre-release came out and have had beta access for months now.

Thus far it looks like it's going to flop, I'm certainly not going to enjoy it. I'll probably play for a bit, unlock Mag'har, etc. What happens afterwards really depends on what my friends do.
I mean its the same team as WoD, and the same obvious rush job as WoD. I don't know where you're expecting all this content from when the prepatch had to close the timegate after 10 minutes.
It looks so far to be < Legion but > WoD. GCD was a really unpopular change; there seem to be enough systems borrowed from Legion to keep B4A afloat. (Kul Tiran pun nautical partially intended).
07/24/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Berry
07/24/2018 06:41 PMPosted by Édgelord

Spoiler: I bought it the day pre-release came out and have had beta access for months now.

Thus far it looks like it's going to flop, I'm certainly not going to enjoy it. I'll probably play for a bit, unlock Mag'har, etc. What happens afterwards really depends on what my friends do.

Same thing here. Hopefully reputation is not gated but I'm pretty sure it will be.
People are hyped for BfA...?

I was never hyped for Cataclysm, but I ended up liking it. Everyone hated on the end game raids, but I loved them, especially the Deathwing fight. I remember it was new year's day 2012, I was hungover, but I nailed that SOB.

The 5 mans were awesome, too. I was hooked on blood DK and disc priest for PvP.

But Cataclysm was at least still reminiscent of the actual game. And coming off the tail of Wrath, it had a lot to live up to.

Progressively, it's turned into an RNG, time-gating, metered, measured, dosed, safe-spaced, meticulous, mission tabled, pruned, talentless, profession-gutted game, that still charges the same (maybe slightly more) as it did when it was funner to play.

I still like the game, but BfA is break time for me. The storyline already had me wary of it, right from the trailer for it.

Well, DS was all right. My main problem with Cata was they gave a "major patch" that was two reworked raids (ZA and ZF) turned into 5 man heroic, called that content, and let it go on for months with nothing to do but make alts. They also had DS last for, what, a year and a half?

Otherwise, Cata was pretty good. It really started out solid and I loved the old world revamp (coming from a Loremaster pre-cata). I feel like so much was spent on reworking the old world that a lot was cut and we received a lot of filler.
i actually enjoyed cata. wod was my least favorite. i didnt play enough in vanilla and bc to have strong opinions. wotlk and mist were my favorites though.
07/24/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Édgelord

So many people do LFR now a days that how good or bad the raids are don't even matter. Pretty sure if every raid was like ToS just minus mythic KJ and Avatar, Legions till would have been ranked one of the best expansions. WOD had some of the best raids to date but people hate the expac.
The masses hated WOD because they followed the initial sheep. It was a good xpac with little content. The reason there was little content was the constant whining about garrisons. They moved on to Legion without finishing WOD because of you guys. You don't have to admit it, but many of Blizz's recent mistakes are your fault.
07/24/2018 07:00 PMPosted by Dawgpound

The masses hated WOD because they followed the initial sheep. It was a good xpac with little content. The reason there was little content was the constant whining about garrisons. They moved on to Legion without finishing WOD because of you guys. You don't have to admit it, but many of Blizz's recent mistakes are your fault.

Yeah, it's totally my fault that Class design in WoD was atrocious and left everyone feeling like a hollowed out version of themselves. The community ruined Ashran. I mean, we definitely forced them to depart from what they've done since BC and instead pour their resources into a system that doesn't even belong in an MMO!
07/24/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Édgelord

Pretty much don't set your bars to high. Every expansion that comes after a good one tends to be crap. Wrath-Cata Mop-WOD and now Legion-BFA.

Setting the bar at Legion isn't setting the bar too high.....