Server Death

Classic Discussion
I have a great deal of angst about the idea that initially there will be a big rush of people playing vanilla and after a period the populaton will drop off. I know this is coming, but I really hope blizzard has plans for what will happen when the occurs. Servers that are hit the hardest could be in for some serious problems with a lack of cross realm. I by know means want cross realm, so I am interested to hear how they will combat this.
Why would population drop when there is official servers? (Outside of the tourists)

Or are you just basing this off the server hoppers in Private Servers?
07/26/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Syradra
Why would population drop when there is official servers? (Outside of the tourists)

My combined experience with actual vanilla. Having a couple servers that I played on die on one or both of the faction populations. The idea that I think a lot of people who are excited to play vanilla againt arent actually going to stick to it for a very long period. Maybe they make it through mc but quit before bwl for example.

I am just overall concerned that there is going to be a big population boom at the start followed by people getting bored with and or tired of the grind a few months in. I of course will not have this issue but I think there are a lot of people that will. If they make too many servers, then the population of core players will be spread thin.
07/26/2018 12:45 PMPosted by Mantikore
I have a great deal of angst about the idea that initially there will be a big rush of people playing vanilla and after a period the populaton will drop off. I know this is coming, but I really hope blizzard has plans for what will happen when the occurs. Servers that are hit the hardest could be in for some serious problems with a lack of cross realm. I by know means want cross realm, so I am interested to hear how they will combat this.

Having a separate sub apart from current retail WoW would do wonders to keep the initial bloat from happening.

They should also upon release announce loud and clear that server mergers will happen after 6 months for servers that have become imbalanced and/or ghost-towns.

I must have missed the part where he was speaking of all but the tourists.
Tourists will likely wreck populations/balance if left unchecked.
This will definatley happen. Millons join at launch then dwindles to a stable population.

I for one dont want to spend time leveling a character on a server only to find it dies after a couple of months.

I hope they have planned for this and intend server merges or free transfers when populations fall below a critical level.
No doubt a major concern. I'm super curious to see how they will handle the original influx, and how they will transition into a more stable, much lower population.

It's not exactly obvious when you know that a major percentage of your population will drop off within a couple to a few months. It'll be interesting to see what happens!
mmm, yeah activision has a bad habit of opening lots and lots of realms, and then when the hype dies down, and the people who stick around, are left with several low pop servers, instead of high pop ones.
Server mergers never bothered me much, other than the name issues. I think it's unavoidable however if you're not going to do phasing of some kind (phasing of course being completely non-Vanilla).

Having a separate sub apart from current retail WoW would do wonders to keep the initial bloat from happening.

In other threads where subscription debates were taking place, this is one of the reasons why I was in favor of having a separate sub, or at the very least an additional fee added to an existing sub for those who want to play both Classic and retail. The argument against that of course was the "I'm not going to play if there's a sub... " but from Blizzard's perspective that's just something they have to number crunch and compromise on somewhere. Especially when the players themselves are so unwilling to compromise themselves.
Blizzard already is aware that the initial opening of classic
will have a HUGE population explosion, and over 6+ months
the populations will deflate as the hype dies down,
if your thinking you'll enter Classic alone, find a guild and watch as members
slowly get bored and drop off, your correct!
the key is to find a group of friends who will stay, farm, help each other
the Classic realms will already be joined, cross realm for BGs and pvp,
you will have to merge guilds or find ally guilds of the same faction
to keep raiding 40-mans - and there will be!
there is nothing Blizzard can do to prevent this, its Classic a tribute to
another time, like a museum we will love it, and play it, but no one
can expect us to stay for ever, Blizzard should NOT do anything to try
and lure players to it, its not LIVE wow, where all their attention needs to be,
I for one will be playing Classic every day, farming, grouping, and raiding
I hope I can keep it going for years and judging by the 750,000 players
who are actively grinding on private servers waiting for Classic
I'm pretty sure you can stop worrying about it until it happens.
07/26/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Dunthor
Especially when the players themselves are so unwilling to compromise themselves.

Well the great news for Blizzard is that we don't have to. It's not our game, it's Blizzard's, and it's their call on everything.
The people that will leave, are exactly the kinds of people you want to leave. I hope they do nothing to "combat" that particular exodus.
I think all of you are underestimating how many people this will bring back to the game. I played it when it was current and know exactly what to expect as does every player who left the game because of some awful decisions made in almost every expansion after WotLK. I'm in it for the long haul as will most of the lost players returning.
They'll handle it just the way they've handled it in the past, with their standard operating procedure.
There will be 'No Changes' in that.
07/26/2018 02:03 PMPosted by Ehzurhadn
The people that will leave, are exactly the kinds of people you want to leave. I hope they do nothing to "combat" that particular exodus.

thats not the point

its what to do with the servers that will be left severely underpopulated once the looky-loos are gone
I think the decrease in population will be slower though. Remember a HUGE part of the population will be returning players and current players who have had a long history with the game. Ive been waiting for years to come back and dont plan on leaving unless blizzard forces me to again.
07/26/2018 02:26 PMPosted by Tilliad
I think all of you are underestimating how many people this will bring back to the game. I played it when it was current and know exactly what to expect as does every player who left the game because of some awful decisions made in almost every expansion after WotLK. I'm in it for the long haul as will most of the lost players returning.

I think you're overestimating how alive those servers are going to be.

I'm sorry to be the one to have to break this to you, but the classic server is not going to recreate the 4 million player game that this was back then. It's going to be a niche crowd that treats classic as their primary game. Population is going to be an issue once the initial rush is done.

And then you have all the people who don't share your opinion, who don't think that the game has been nothing but bad decisions (i know, it's surprising, but not everyone shares your view of WoW), who still play the game. They're going to be part of that rush too, but whenever there's something to do on the live game, they're not going to be there to rely on for classic.

Realistically, YOU are going to be the one more likely to leave the server when you realize that it's just not what you're expecting it to be. You're going to be very disappointed. It's pretty much going to be all the rest of us who want this for fun, or want it for the nostalgia of replaying that version of the game, who end up staying long-term. This isn't your private servers you've played on. They commonly have changes made, they have different world events they make up, they change the RNG part of the game. They're not the WoW you played back then.
The obvious answer is for everyone playing to not quit.
Well, if they charge anything above and beyond the standard Sub rate, then I certainly won't be one of the tourists or players.

And I'll still assert that the proper solution to this problem is to not let it happen in the first place, and the way to do that is with the Sharding tech.

"But but, Blizzard said!" Yes, Blizzard says a lot of things. "Say" and "do" are different.

"If that happens I'll quit/never sign up!" The things on the List Of Outrage that folks will disqualify themselves from playing is about 1000 items long, and Sharding is number 273.

Since Blizzard has also stated that they don't really care if they get a million players or a dozen, not offending some segment of the population isn't really high on their lists either. No doubt they'll make all sorts of decisions that are On The List.

They'll do what they need to do, and Sharding elegantly handles this issue by reducing the need for more original realms in the first place. Fewer original realms, less need for merging later. Also, combined with the increased realm capacity, once the server populations stabilize, once the lookie-loos have come and gone, once the wannabes don't wanna no more, they may well be able to turn Sharding off later on. And...no one will notice.

Merging and such are much more destructive to communities than the incongruities that can happen under Sharding, especially when it will very likely be more temporary than not.

Many folks seem think that when Classic opens up, there will be this great Sucking Sound as the entirety of the gaming community rushes back in to WoW Classic.

I'm more cynical on the long term attractions of a 14 year old, dead, static game that Classic will become. A tunnel with no light. Disneyland circa 1960, frozen in time. "Next stop on the Disney Train -- Nostalgia Land!"

A novelty to be sure when it opens, but I don't think the enthusiasm will last, making dead realms more a real problem that is best managed and handled up front rather than later on when it happens. Always easier to make more realms than less.

Specifically because of tourists.

Alot of people are going to buy classic (My guesstimate is close to 10 million) and are going to play for awhile.After an unknown amount of time the population will be a fraction of that spread out over how knows how many servers leaving most of them ghost towns forcing 1 of 2 things.
1.Mergers/paid transfers
2.Re-rolls.

If you don't think the population is going to drop dramatically(and by dramatically I'm guessing by 75%) after 6 months you're deluded.

I'm not a classic hater I can just see that it won't be something people enjoy long term.
This exact fear is why we will likely have cross realm battlegrounds.