Need Necromancy tree

Death Knight
Death Knights are supposed to be able to summon hordes of undead minions. What do you think of getting rid of either Frost or Unholy so that there is only one melee DPS spec and then creating a Necromancy spec that summons minions and fires deathcoils as a ranged DPS spec?
It's called Unholy. You summon minions and fire Deathcoils which are ranged.
o_o
07/30/2018 11:39 PMPosted by Shayera
Death Knights are supposed to be able to summon hordes of undead minions. What do you think of getting rid of either Frost or Unholy so that there is only one melee DPS spec and then creating a Necromancy spec that summons minions and fires deathcoils as a ranged DPS spec?

Unholy IS the necromancer tree, you just need to grab the correct talents. I know theres one that makes your core attack 30yrd range, and you can have extra summons.
Been max level yet? Unholy's main cds is Army of the Damned and Apocalypse, and your normal rotation reduces their remaining cds. The spec literally revolves around summoning hordes of ghouls. You're just still a knight, so you get in there personally for that infernal feel. Like everyone says, there are talents that allow you to be more standoffish if that's what makes you feel more powerful, but as an Unholy main, I insist Unholy is a very appropriate Necromancer. Been that way for a while, got better since Apocalypse, and it's looking great for bfz (death coil reducing your ghoulcalling cds is new).
Unholy is more necromancer now than it ever was. The split between melee/ranged is fine the spec doesn't need to go dedicated ranged, it would actually be detrimental to the specs identity and probably performance.
Theme wise, unholy is the undead spec.
You can have a ghoul, a skeleton minion, then summon undead as you do battles.
You can even take a PVP talent that turns corpses into exploding zombies. Great fun (though not very effective)

Is it NOT a ranged spec. No raid group is going to give up a ranged slot for an unholy DK.

It's also doing very well in BGs right now on the damage meters. I just did over 800k total damage in one.
07/31/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Feydark

You can even take a PVP talent that turns corpses into exploding zombies. Great fun (though not very effective)

10% health of the target's health in damage and 2 second stun. Try raising a shambler for someone trying to run or kite. If it spawns far, it'll catch them. If it spawns close, you can death grip them into a stun. And I have never once seen a hunter keep it together well enough to gun down an approaching ghoul.
07/31/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Fitrith
10% health of the target's health in damage and 2 second stun. Try raising a shambler for someone trying to run or kite. If it spawns far, it'll catch them. If it spawns close, you can death grip them into a stun. And I have never once seen a hunter keep it together well enough to gun down an approaching ghoul.
They don't spawn close. They move very slowly.

The best use I've seen for it is after a battle, I'll burn my runes to summon 6 of them at another incoming batch of enemies. It's incredibly gratifying to watch them to shamble to your enemy.

Sometimes after I've hit everyone with the plague I'll summon a few of them to wander into the melee. I've found better luck when they are combined with an army of the dead, as people don't think to target them.

However, damage meters don't lie. The damage of those ghouls is so little compared to the plagues, it's negligible. If the ghouls did not require dead bodies to animate, I could see it having a lot more practical use. You could set up traps around a flag.
I mean far from you or close to you. If they spawn close to you, you can position yourself for a deathgrip with a bonus stun. If they spawn across from the enemy, they'll kite into it. Spamming it is gratifying as a spectacle, but it will just gift your target stun immunity. If it's a bear it will do some eye catching chunk damage, though.

The only time I've found an inscruitible use for it is when you're out of range, you've fired your death coils and your target is plagued. But as it turns out, that's a pretty convenient niche to have filled. I spend a lot of time in bgs being frustrated during approach or chase.

edit: inb4 someone calls me out for not running clawing shadows.
Fools ,i need summon skeletons, YES SKELETONS! Why my unarmed skeleton will become a stupid zombie ? WHY? Clawing shaodows need stay in some line of all will serve? Why skulker why? Cry.

Yes im fan of warcraft 2 death knight, sorry.