Did Blizzard Hire Rian Johnson?

Movies, TV and Entertainment
Prev 1 5 6 7 10 Next
08/01/2018 03:20 AMPosted by Amadori
Buts lets complain about it "diverse" cast

No one is doing that. Take your strawman and go play somewhere else.
Okay okay okay,

the writing is meh but it is no where near Rian abysmal.
08/01/2018 05:40 AMPosted by Bojanglz
LOL sounds like you have no clue about the Star Wars universe

It was pretty obvious sarcasm

/whoosh

08/01/2018 05:40 AMPosted by Bojanglz
The Last Jedi was the worst Star Wars movie by a long shot

Totally agree. Rian Johnson did the impossible, he ushered in a new appreciation for the prequal trilogy for millions of fans.
Rian Windrunner, Ranger General of Disney
totally agree. Rian Johnson did the impossible, he ushered in a new appreciation for the prequal trilogy for millions of fans.

Ooh that burn was hot, almost as hot as the world tree.
No one should ever, ever be compared to Rian Johnson. Ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilh0py2gwZI
07/31/2018 10:12 PMPosted by Cyouskin
-- We never learned about Snoke before he was killed. Not how he came to power, not about his influence on Kylo, he just appeared and then was killed by his own pupil. (Movies shouldn't need you to read external media to understand a major character in the movie.)
Doesn't matter, not important to the story of Episode 8. We never learned about the Emperor in the original trilogy except he's an evil bad guy. Only decades later we get any info on the Emperor in another episode.

While at first glance this point that we never learned about the Emperor in the original trilogy seems like a reasonable defense, this argument doesn't really stand up at all because of the context of the two trilogies.

The Emperor is the villain of an original trilogy establishing a universe. He's part of the background of the universe. In any story setting, fantasy or sci-fi, people give a free hand to writers to insert major threats and dangers in their initial entries to a series without demanding that every insertion be accompanied by a detailed background.

On the flip side, Snoke is introduced in the seventh movie of a series, at the start of its third trilogy. He is also not just background for heroes to slowly encounter. People were invested in the original trilogy characters and in their victory - they brought down the Empire! They were on their way to re-establishing the Republic! Luke had accomplished the Return of the Jedi and it was assumed would be leading the re-establishment of that order.

Yet now the "First Order" is around. Even stronger than the Empire, despite coming from its "remnants." Snoke has replaced the Emperor. They build a weapon stronger than the Death Star capable of taking out entire solar systems. The weapon takes out the New Republic. Snoke is a powerful force user. He manages to corrupt Luke's nephew right under his nose.

Snoke essentially undoes the victories of the original trilogy characters and is the reason behind their current estrangement (Han separating from Leia, Luke hiding himself from everyone). His corruption of Kylo Ren while he was under Luke ruined their personal lives, and his successful raising of the First Order makes the defeat of the Empire seem pointless. We're not talking about Episode 8 yet, just what's established in Episode 7, but of course Episode 7 is the first episode of a new trilogy, and people expect a new trilogy to establish some new questions, with the second entry of the new trilogy to provide satisfying answers. Then Episode 8 added on that Luke goes from being the character in the "Return of the Jedi," giving a speech about how he is a Jedi "like his father" before him, to bitterly talking about how the Jedi have to end and were terrible, all because Snoke managed to corrupt Kylo Ren. It's hard to think of undoing an original character's arc in a more fundamental way, and it leads the audience to once again want to know who this Snoke guy is who drove everything that undid their heroes.

Any series introducing a character like that three trilogies in would require explanation. If you have an original trilogy with a group of heroes who end with victories, and the subsequent trilogy tells you, "No, actually, cause this new character is around and he somehow undid everything and is responsible for the heroes ending their lives as miserable failures," then yes, the audience wants to know WHO this new character is that showed up, how he is that powerful, how he beat the heroes so badly in the interim between the entries, and why such a powerful being wasn't anywhere to be found in any of the prior six movies.

There is NO inconsistency in people not demanding an explanation for the original Emperor in the original trilogy, and those same people feeling like it's a major story failure that Episode 8 decided to kill off Snoke instead of giving a satisfying explanation about his background.
07/31/2018 08:58 PMPosted by Salt
Rain Johnson is an amazing man, and you are just not sophisticated enough to enjoy what he is doing to star wars.

He tossed aside the basis of what previous Star Wars execs told us to expect. It has nothing to do with being sophisticated or even enjoying what he did. It has to do with taking our Snickers and replacing it with a Milkyway. And then, telling us we wanted a Milkyway and to be okay with it. Kind of like what Blizz is doing now with out beloved Horde.

You think you don't like it, but you do. You think you want to spend money things you enjoy, but you don't.
08/01/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Oakenshroot
You think you don't like it, but you do. You think you want to spend money things you enjoy, but you don't.

Pretty sure Lucasfilm's tag line is closer to "You think, but you shouldn't."
Cyou, you might want to rewatch the original trilogy and actually pay attention since most of your criticisms apply there, too-especially that Mary Sue named Luke who was able to fight off trained military pilots in his first combat vehicle experience. Weird how the most vocal haters of Episode 8 don't really pay attention to things. If Episode 9 flops THEN you can say people hated the wildly successful 8, which most people I know liked. Solo bombed because nobody ever said they wanted that story. Try getting out of your mom's basement, and don't try to pretend that any "MVP forums poster" has a life.
07/31/2018 08:48 PMPosted by Salt
Listen,

I just wanted to know who Snoke was and that somehow since Kathleen Kennedy said Star Wars was about the Skywalker family that Rey was somehow related to one of the beloved characters. Even if due to her silly fighting style that character was Palpatine. And what happened to all of Luke's other students?

But no, we know nothing about Snoke, Rey doesn't appear to be related to the Skywalkers who the story is about (some can say it's about Kylo "Emo" Ren), and somehow the Knights of Ren were completely left out.

In general, there is nothing wrong with this direction. If I wasn't told I was getting something else entirely. The let downs are mounting.

Wait...are we talking about what just happened in this storyline?
I'm eating my popcorn quietly while watching you nerds argue.
08/01/2018 08:29 AMPosted by Wynwood
I'm eating my popcorn quietly while watching you nerds argue.

If you're eating popcorn this early in the morning, you have a popcorn addiction and need help.
Wait...are we talking about what just happened in this storyline?[/quote][/quote]

Blizzard milked the blue milk space cow with this one. I had the same feeling while I did these quests.
Listen,

I just wanted to know who Snoke was and that somehow since Kathleen Kennedy said Star Wars was about the Skywalker family that Rey was somehow related to one of the beloved characters. Even if due to her silly fighting style that character was Palpatine. And what happened to all of Luke's other students?

But no, we know nothing about Snoke, Rey doesn't appear to be related to the Skywalkers who the story is about (some can say it's about Kylo "Emo" Ren), and somehow the Knights of Ren were completely left out.

In general, there is nothing wrong with this direction. If I wasn't told I was getting something else entirely. The let downs are mounting.

I mean, to be fair, we didn't know anything at all about Emperor Palpatine in the original trilogy. He was just a bad dude doing bad things. Should the new movies be just like the old movies? Can't answer that. Just pointing out that no one was complaining during the first trilogy that Palpatine was the big bad with no real background whatsoever.

**Edit** Hmmm.. After reading Torvald's very well-written post above I must say I forfeit my argument. Touche, sir, that was a good one. You have changed my opinion.
08/01/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Melkor
Listen,

I mean, to be fair, we didn't know anything at all about Emperor Palpatine in the original trilogy. He was just a bad dude doing bad things. Should the new movies be just like the old movies? Can't answer that. Just pointing out that no one was complaining during the first trilogy that Palpatine was the big bad with no real background whatsoever.

I literally responded to this point a few posts above yours at length.
07/31/2018 10:12 PMPosted by Cyouskin
Episode 8 was an excellent example of terrible storytelling. Visually, it was impressive (especially the final scenes with light speed). The writing sucked. Acting is acting, but I blame the bad story making good acting look mediocre at best. (Especially when it came to the female characters.)

I would say Blizz's standards for appointing MVPs has really tanked, but green text posts have almost always been laughable.

08/01/2018 01:41 AMPosted by Mursey
Poor writing, wasted character development. Same thing happening on live.

It's not poor writing to assert that men ruin everything, because men, in fact, ruin everything. TLJ mirrored real life that way.

WoW did things differently, and what do men do in response? They harass Christie Golden on Twitter. Men ruin everything.

So I guess *that's* what it has to do with WoW.
08/01/2018 06:11 AMPosted by Riverwînd
Go Woke? Go Broke!

Star Wars is now dead to a lot of people...

The people it is "dead to" aren't worth a lick of attention.
08/01/2018 08:33 AMPosted by Melkor
I mean, to be fair, we didn't know anything at all about Emperor Palpatine in the original trilogy.

We knew he was the one pulling the strings. We knew he was Vader's master and a big reason why he fell to the dark side. We knew that the emperor was aware of Luke's existence and wanted to turn him or kill him.

To an extent, he was a token bad guy doing bad things. But his REAL purpose to the story was in reference to Vader. Vader's struggle against the emperor and against temptation is his core conflict. After years of submission and indulgence in the dark side he lost most of his morality and humanity. Then along comes his long lost son, this beacon of hope and optimism, and he begins to question his surroundings. The emperor is significant because of his juxtaposition to Luke in regards to Vader's internal turmoil.

The emperor was more of a plot device than a character, but what it lead to was an almost sympathetic feeling for one of the most iconic "bad guys" in cinema history. The emperor helps make Vader the AMAZING character that he is. He very much had a purpose, and he served it well.
08/01/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Lemires
08/01/2018 06:11 AMPosted by Riverwînd
Go Woke? Go Broke!

Star Wars is now dead to a lot of people...

The people it is "dead to" aren't worth a lick of attention.

Tell that to the ticket sales of Solo, Blu Ray sales of TLJ, merchandise sales since Christmas and the multiple Star Wars project now put on "hold." You don't seem to have a "lick" of sense.