Whelp... (spoilers)

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 7 8 9 12 Next
if y'all don't think turning someone's head towards their home as u set it on fire to make a point that "hope is for losers" so their flaming tree city is the last thing they see as they die is just straight up pure evil i dunno what to tell you
07/31/2018 02:03 PMPosted by Mewzy
07/31/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Vortigen

Arthas 2.0.

Great.
That post is real thoughtful. Again I’m not super on arthas but I’m positive Sylvanas didn’t want this, any of this(she said something like that after you do the event), it’s not like arthas who went and seeking power, her life and everything was taken away, arthas had a choice?

No, I'm not buying it. If that was Blizzard's intent (the "I didn't want any of this") they completely FAILED at writing the narrative to be believable. They need to read more, I'm serious :| because this was laughably bad.
07/31/2018 02:26 PMPosted by Savon
I just really dislike this narrative that she's a total idiot, or that she's insane, or she made the choice in a moment of rage or that the night elf "triggered her".

Yeah, so does everyone else.

That's why we're complaining about it.

And as usual, there's always some professor of literary analysis to castigate the critics instead of those who wrote the incredibly dumb story being criticized.
07/31/2018 02:33 PMPosted by Azhaar
And as usual, there's always some professor of literary analysis to castigate the critics instead of those who wrote the incredibly dumb story being criticized.

Er...

I'm trying to offer an alternative explanation (never attacking anyone), and suddenly I'm "castigating" people? Why are you attacking me?
07/31/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Colepain

Everybody acts like all the characters are robots that can only make perfect, logical decisions or else it's bad writing.

Exactly.

She lost her cool in Before the Storm when Anduin bowed to Elsie...after he hadn't bowed to Sylvanas. Sylvanas has also shown a lack of imagination in how her enemies may react. She seems to glom onto "This is what will happen" and never veer from it.

She's also surprised when her enemies fight viciously. Apparently all her years of hunting never clued her in about cornered animals.
07/31/2018 02:35 PMPosted by Savon

Er...

I'm trying to offer an alternative explanation (never attacking anyone), and suddenly I'm "castigating" people? Why are you attacking me?
It's kinda what he does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVzYS3Ga_j8

Footage of Sylvanas' post-genocide celebration.
I do not know how to react to this :( I serve the Horde and my Warchief, but these acts are reprehensible.
07/31/2018 02:26 PMPosted by Savon
I just really dislike this narrative that she's a total idiot, or that she's insane, or she made the choice in a moment of rage or that the night elf "triggered her".

Yeah, so does everyone else.

That's why we're complaining about it.

Yep, this.

But here's the thing: I am an actual author who has worked with editors for years now. And they will tell you this right off the bat, and usually in a very blunt, red-inked manner that makes first-time authors cry wee tears of frustration: If the majority of your reader base doesn't "get" your oh-so-symbolic, subtle little angle (if there really was one here at all), your writing is not strong and you need to go back and FIX THAT SH*T. Your fickle readers will rip your work apart because it did not WORK, no matter how much you WANTED it to.

This narrative here fails. If it comes across to the majority as "Sylvanas is having a hissy fit and burning the tree because TRIGGERERD", then the writers have failed in what they were trying to convey with the story. I don't care what they "INTENDED"--it's what was PERCEIVED to the average player that matters.

Poor writing is poor.
I appreciate you, Vortigen.
07/31/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Savon
07/31/2018 02:06 PMPosted by Stalairne
sylvanas burning teldrassil specifically to crush the hope of the people who led the charge against the legion like three times is.... something

How is that related, though?

They're still enemies of the Horde, and a threat to the survival of her people

1. i was talking about the fact that she thinks shes somehow important enough to have an impact on the night elven psyche when the nelves led the fight against the legion three separate times

2. ah yes. notorious warmonger malfurion stormrage.
07/31/2018 02:54 PMPosted by Stalairne

1. i was talking about the fact that she thinks shes somehow important enough to have an impact on the night elven psyche

ah, I misunderstood.

but I mean, she clearly does have an impact on the night elven psyche. she burns down their home, their capital city, and murders hundreds (if not thousands) of innocent people for the sake of an aggressive, expansionist war.
07/31/2018 02:47 PMPosted by Vortigen
And they will tell you this right off the bat, and usually in a very blunt, red-inked manner that makes first-time authors cry wee tears of frustration

Not gonna lie.

I think the 'writing department' of Blizz could use something like this, blaring at them 24/7, until they get it through their thick skulls.
Saurfang: "Honor. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it.'

Also Saurfang: "Oh, we're burning it? Okay, I guess..."
07/31/2018 02:59 PMPosted by Torquebarrel
And they will tell you this right off the bat, and usually in a very blunt, red-inked manner that makes first-time authors cry wee tears of frustration

Not gonna lie.

I think the 'writing department' of Blizz could use something like this, blaring at them 24/7, until they get it through their thick skulls.

Preach.

This kind of thing happens to any writer or writing team that has too much success for too long. Everyone benefits from input and editorial oversight.
This'll be good motivation for when we crack open some Old God storyline later.

Not gonna lie.

I agree. And it's not fun, and it does not feel nice to have your story shredded by a good editor...but boy, will it work out better in the long run. I have this sneaking suspicion Blizzard needs to hire better developmental editors to kick this writing team square in the you-know-what and get them to come up with something that doesn't make a huge chunk of their player base roll their eyes.
07/31/2018 03:04 PMPosted by Vortigen
Not gonna lie.

I agree. And it's not fun, and it does not feel nice to have your story shredded by a good editor...but boy, will it work out better in the long run. I have this sneaking suspicion Blizzard needs to hire better developmental editors to kick this writing team square in the you-know-what and get them to come up with something that doesn't make a huge chunk of their player base roll their eyes.

Real talk, I experienced exactly this from an instructor of mine as part of my Television Writing class. He tore the hell out of my beat sheet, and though I was miffed, I came to realize that he was right... so I took his feedback and tried to do something better.
I know blizzard can't write "Morally Grey" but their evil writing is a bit disappointing. I expect better evilness.
07/31/2018 03:01 PMPosted by Azhaar
Not gonna lie.

Preach.

This kind of thing happens to any writer or writing team that has too much success for too long. Everyone benefits from input and editorial oversight.

To add a real world example? The Star War prequels had the wheels fall of, because no one was there to tell Lucas "no". The end result was what happened when unlimited funds met an echo chamber of ideas.