Is anyone else just here for the popcorn?

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
08/01/2018 01:48 AMPosted by Vyrael
I'm here to write stories in a setting I find pretty cool, sometimes with other people, sometimes by myself.
08/01/2018 07:58 AMPosted by Krenkan
Yeah, the growing swell of "You play Horde, you're a terrible person in real life, get cancer and die." sentiment is actually somewhat disturbing and I think going to be the biggest negative of B4A.

Well my experience is of course anecdotal, but I've seen exactly two people saying this. They were in the same guild.
08/01/2018 08:26 AMPosted by Azhaar
Yeah, the growing swell of "You play Horde, you're a terrible person in real life, get cancer and die." sentiment is actually somewhat disturbing and I think going to be the biggest negative of B4A.

Well my experience is of course anecdotal, but I've seen exactly two people saying this. They were in the same guild.

I've read a number of posts as insinuating the same point. Insinuation is fun like that, I guess.
08/01/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Zalinara
The overreactions to a bit of bad writing are entertaining, but a bit concerning. It's not like WoW hasn't had awful characterizations before.

It's an MMO, of course it's had bad writing. Honestly people are going crazy over it and it's fun to watch.

Aside from people harassing Christie Golden on Twitter, which is !@#$ing stupid. Story wasn't great, don't attack writers and send them death threats over it.

Yeah, the growing swell of "You play Horde, you're a terrible person in real life, get cancer and die." sentiment is actually somewhat disturbing and I think going to be the biggest negative of B4A. Hopefully it's just people being dumb at the start of the expansion, but I'm prepping myself Cataclysm 2.0: The Revenge: The Reckoning levels of IC/OOC conflagration on the forums.

I'm of the opinion that it's a game. And that Horde folk are the same as Alliance folk. People who enjoy a video game. I really don't get why people have gone crazy over this, it's not like "The Horde" literally burned down their homes irl.
08/01/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Mastean
08/01/2018 08:26 AMPosted by Azhaar

I've read a number of posts as insinuating the same point. Insinuation is fun like that, I guess.

Look, I'm not saying anyone who plays a Forsaken has a secret shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer in their closet. I'm just saying we haven't seen any evidence that they don't.
08/01/2018 08:40 AMPosted by Arm
08/01/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Mastean

Look, I'm not saying anyone who plays a Forsaken has a secret shrine of Jeffrey Dahmer in their closet. I'm just saying we haven't seen any evidence that they don't.

I just read your IC post about why your character is still fighting, and I have to say, it's incredible how far people will go to justify the most rotten deeds of the twentieth century.
I mean, it's probably burnt, so no.
08/01/2018 06:43 AMPosted by Coffinspike
I find all this "My character would never..." a tad of a stretch, to be honest, especially on a "RP" server.. God mode much?

I know what you mean but I still want to ask what the heck this means like I'm somehow reading it wrong.
08/01/2018 08:53 AMPosted by Sideswipe
I mean, it's probably burnt, so no.

Fair point, it's overdone and not that tasty now.
The "At horde who are in warmode" thread got deleted. I miss that thread, OP was honestly entertaining with his crazyness
I've gotten the disappointment out of my system since yesterday. At the end of the day there's still far more about WoW that I like than dislike and that's what matters to me.

I don't want to put WoW into the pile of games I like for reasons other than the story, because the story is what drew me to game in the first place and as a role-player story is important to me.

But sometimes it just be like that.
08/01/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Nethielle
I've gotten the disappointment out of my system since yesterday. At the end of the day there's still far more about WoW that I like than dislike and that's what matters to me.

I don't want to put WoW into the pile of games I like for reasons other than the story, because the story is what drew me to game in the first place and as a role-player story is important to me.

But sometimes it just be like that.

I can agree with that. There are times when the story isn't the greatest, but I'll keep coming back as long as I'm having fun.
Yeah, the growing swell of "You play Horde, you're a terrible person in real life, get cancer and die." sentiment is actually somewhat disturbing and I think going to be the biggest negative of B4A. Hopefully it's just people being dumb at the start of the expansion, but I'm prepping myself Cataclysm 2.0: The Revenge: The Reckoning levels of IC/OOC conflagration on the forums.
I am very concerned with people's inability to differentiate IC from OOC here. These line blurring pseudo IC reactions where Alliance players hold Horde players accountable for Blizzard's awful black and white writing and press that they're terrible people and should die is concerning. The inability for Horde players to differentiate IC from OOC when it comes to treating the purely OOC discomfort of other Horde players who have plenty of valid OOC reasons to be uncomfortable or upset in a pseudo IC way is also disturbing.

Maybe people don't realize that many of us are posting in an OOC manner here for some reason.

All in all it sucks to be a long time Horde player who started in and signed on for Thrall's Horde who is not happy with this because that's not the narrative we were sold on, and to have both Alliance and Horde idiots who can't separate IC from OOC while being trapped as an objector in a disgusting regime because the cost of faction transfers are high both because money and alts but also throwing away a decade of story and friendship.

I mean, it's not like I'm trapped in a fascist regime under the rule of a narcissistic sociopath as one of the groups the regime wants to strip of basic human rights because of my gender identity and sexuality IRL or anything. Oh wait. I am. But now I have to deal with it in my fun times too while having a bunch of privileged morons who can't separate IC from OOC or feel empathy badgering me as well because they have no self control and are fully engulfed by hype.

Do you have any idea how depressing that is?
I've been saying "a pox on both your houses" for 14 years.

It's fun being able to witness the schadenfreude and drown myself in popcorn. I'm just waiting for the next explosion at this point.

I mean, maybe I'm missing it, but I haven't really seen this. I mean, if you think this is a nuanced, well-written storyline, sure, I'd absolutely consider that a character flaw, but not just for playing Horde.

My thoughts are mostly that it must suck to be Horde right now. You're getting a rehashed storyline that most people didn't really like all that much the first time, either. But at least that first time was followed by an amazing, beautiful continent with interesting inhabitants, good voice acting, and decently-written storylines that didn't involve the factions at all.

But none of that is your fault.
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone saying that Horde players are terrible people, but I've sure seen a lot of die hard fans insulting and threatening Golden via social media.
08/01/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Kazimir
Yeah, I haven't seen anyone saying that Horde players are terrible people, but I've sure seen a lot of die hard fans insulting and threatening Golden via social media.

I don't even think she's to blame for this mess? I did a quick check, and I couldn't find any reference to her doing the actual plotting for the in-game story.
08/01/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Itarater
I don't even think she's to blame for this mess?

She isn't. She even clarified that the Warbringers shorts were already being worked on before she was hired, but that hasn't stopped the mob unfortunately.
08/01/2018 12:16 PMPosted by Kazimir
She isn't. She even clarified that the Warbringers shorts were already being worked on before she was hired, but that hasn't stopped the mob unfortunately.

Yeah, like, I never heard anything bad about Before the Storm. I didn't hear anything much about it, period, so I assumed that it was quite reasonable, for what it is (a video game novel).

The whole "Burn it." incident, on the other hand, there's obviously been quite a lot to hear about it... (Which is a shame, since I finally watched the Jaina short yesterday and that one was rather good.)